• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The RME will not output up to ~200kHz due to the DA process and it's limitation. I say that because good audio amplifiers will sometimes go as high as 100kHz, 150kHz and maybe even 200kHz sometimes at the -3dB cutoff frequency and so the sine wave source needs to have a sine wave output into the 100's of kHz. You may need to purchase a function generator or a sine wave generator.
For verifying the bandwidth given in specifications for power amps, the RME should be good for a cutoff frequency up to 100 kHz. Cutoff frequency is another term for bandwidth also called 3 dB bandwidth for that reason, that was not clear to me earlier. Thanks, others could also be interested in measuring distortion or bandwidth.

RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition (excerpt from output specs)

• Frequency response @ 384 kHz, -1 dB: 0 Hz – 115 kHz
  • Frequency response @ 768 kHz, -3 dB: 0 Hz – 109 kHz

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For verifying the bandwidth given in specifications for power amps, the RME should be good for a cutoff frequency up to 100 kHz. Cutoff frequency is another term for bandwidth also called 3 dB bandwidth for that reason, that was not clear to me earlier. Thanks, others could also be interested in measuring distortion or bandwidth.

RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition (excerpt from output specs)

• Frequency response @ 384 kHz, -1 dB: 0 Hz – 115 kHz
  • Frequency response @ 768 kHz, -3 dB: 0 Hz – 109 kHz
I'm very interested to see how the RME works out as a oscillator source. :D I've never used a DAC for this purpose. I always had a HP oscillator.

Mark_A

Actually, for Rx drugs, FDA requires (as mandated by law) demonstration of both safety and efficacy.
Yes, that is what I said.

But it should be noted that many other countries put a lot more emphasis on safety, rather than proven efficacy, since randomized placebo-controlled clinical trials can cost tens of millions (or more) and take years to complete. Because Rx drugs are prescribed by licensed physicians in the US, those physicians should be allowed to prescribe drugs that are known to be safe, even if not yet proven by the FDA to be effective. Also, the FDA routinely will not approve drugs unless they are not more effective than existing drugs, even if they are about the same efficacy and safety.

I don't need that level of protection from the FDA, which is nothing more than a thinly disguised organized crime syndicate to protect the monopolies of pharma companies.

Beave

Major Contributor
Correct for non-Rx over-the-counter drugs.

The FDA requires proof of efficacy for Rx drugs. The FDA can withhold approval for a drug even if it does have efficacy, if there are already another drug on the market to treat the same conditions and has about the same results. Also, the FDA can unilaterally decide whether a drug is Rx or over-the-counter. Despite what many believe, this is not how it works in some countries outside the USA, where the emphasis is do no harm, rather than require proof of efficacy (which can cost tens of millions of dollars for clinical trials and take years to accomplish).

For non-Rx over-the-counter drugs the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) requires that all advertising claims be truthful, just like any other product. However, they rely heavily on opinions from the FDA as whether a drug has proven efficacy, usually as demonstrated in a randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial. So even if some doctors recommend certain vitamins and supplements to help with certain conditions, the FTC can still ban any claims that the manufacturer or retailer makes about them.

Can you provide a link - or an example - of this? The FDA *routinely* approves me-too drugs, ie, drugs similar to other, already-approved drugs, to treat the same condition and with similar results.

Beave

Major Contributor
Yes, that is what I said.

But it should be noted that many other countries put a lot more emphasis on safety, rather than proven efficacy, since randomized placebo-controlled clinical trials can cost tens of millions (or more) and take years to complete.

Physicians can and sometimes do prescribe medications "off-label," ie, they prescribe a drug for a condition for which it has not been approved.
Also, the FDA routinely will not approve drugs unless they are not more effective than existing drugs, even if they are about the same efficacy and safety.

I don't need that level of protection from the FDA, which is nothing more than a thinly disguised organized crime syndicate to protect the monopolies of pharma companies.

Can you provide examples?

I see the opposite - they routinely approve me-too drugs.

Mark_A

Physicians can and sometimes do prescribe medications "off-label," ie, they prescribe a drug for a condition for which it has not been approved.

Can you provide examples?

I see the opposite - they routinely approve me-too drugs.
Physicians do prescribe them, but they are routinely not filled by many pharmacies because they are not FDA approved for that particular situation. One such drug was Ivermectin, and also hydroxychloroquine. But it usually depends on who the drug maker is, as the FDA is much more likely to approve a drug from big pharma over one originally developed for some other purpose that is now off-patent and sold as a generic.

The FDA usually won't approve a me-too drug unless it has some other advantage, such as less or different side-effects. Of course if the efficacy is better, they will approve for that reason also.

egellings

Major Contributor
Why anyone needs a device with 100+kHz of bandwidth to amplify/play back a human audio range signal is beyond me.

jdpurvis

Physicians do prescribe them, but they are routinely not filled by many pharmacies because they are not FDA approved for that particular situation. One such drug was Ivermectin, and also hydroxychloroquine. But it usually depends on who the drug maker is, as the FDA is much more likely to approve a drug from big pharma over one originally developed for some other purpose that is now off-patent and sold as a generic.

The FDA usually won't approve a me-too drug unless it has some other advantage, such as less or different side-effects. Of course if the efficacy is better, they will approve for that reason also.
The last statement is not true at all. After end of patent life, FDA routinely approves generic drugs - this has a major impact on price. A similar, but not identical drug can, and often is, approved for the same indication as long as it shows safety and efficacy. {Example: Arimidex (anstrozole), Femara (letrozole), and Aromasin (exemestane) are clearly different drugs in the same class that were approved for breast cancer.} The data for ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 were missing, and subsequently clearly negative. No science, just politics. FDA, and the medical community, require real scientific data. We should expect no less.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why anyone needs a device with 100+kHz of bandwidth to amplify/play back a human audio range signal is beyond me.
Are you referring to the 3dB down amplifier bandwidth tests that are up and coming?

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm very interested to see how the RME works out as a oscillator source. :D I've never used a DAC for this purpose. I always had a HP oscillator.
I've used a DAC for this to good effect, and of course REW uses that when making a loopback test. My Tektronix signal generator is a cheapie and does not guarantee better than 1% THD--not helpful for current tech.

Rick "used a loopback test through a Presonus sound-card interface for adjusting bias on tape decks" Denney

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In some countries the sky is made of blue velvet.
Me and a buddy where gabbing away outside @ sunset and I sensed that the environment went green for no more than maybe 1 or 2 seconds. I thought I was having some sort of weird vision failure effect and I asked him if he sensed something and he said, Yeah, the sky and stuff around us went green for a little while. So I researched it and it is a phenomenon that does occur. That's my factoid for today. :D

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Me and a buddy where gabbing away outside @ sunset and I sensed that the environment went green for no more than maybe 1 or 2 seconds. I thought I was having some sort of weird vision failure effect and I asked him if he sensed something and he said, Yeah, the sky and stuff around us went green for a little while. So I researched it and it is a phenomenon that does occur. That's my factoid for today. :D
Name a color of sky and I’ve seen it, mostly. Clouds will often become greenish in tornado weather. I actually have an extensive database of colors samples from the sky!

sq225917

Major Contributor
It's the same in the uk, any drug that works gets approval and the best ones get the stamp from NICE. That's why every major drug group has a handful of almost identical drugs. (Simon, former Novartis TBM).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Seriously! Would you guys just quit the pharma dick-showing contest. Let’s bring it back to audio snake oil shit!

Indeed.

Several posts deleted.

Back to something more on-topic please.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I figured as much :)
Late reply, but this is NAIM we're talking about, back in the dark days of the CB and Olive fronted products. They seemed to change for the better in 2000 or so (prices shot up too...) and in fairness, the current stuff doesn't seem 'quite' as fussy as the old gear was (I'd say now, unfinished design back then, but we were led by the shadows as in the Plato Cave situation described earlier - I love that and have bookmarked it :) ).

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I am very happy with this thread. 53 pages on snake oil. I think my mom would be proud if she was alive. If you guys find any "new" snake oil be sure to post it up. This way the search function can find all the different snake oils for anyone who needs info on them. Being all in one thread makes it pretty easy. Thank you all for coming through. I also want to thank the moderators for even contributing! So much snake oil, so little time to educate.

mansr

Major Contributor
I am very happy with this thread. 53 pages on snake oil.
Then you should absolutely love this 89-page thread also about snake oil:

Tassin

Surprised to see Combak hasn't been mentioned before. A friend's dealer recently tried to convince us that their tuning feet make such an amazing difference. Scombak would be a better fitting name.

Top Bottom