• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Punter

Yep MinMan, it's pure gold! The bloke could definitely be a wine critic, he's got all the words!

DonR

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I guess the bearded hipster look is now consigned to “so last year”, this year it’s all about barefoot expressionism, gotta keep grounded baby!

MarkS

Major Contributor
IMO, this isn't snake oil. He's producing a specific type of sound. Mark Ronson is a grammy-winning producer who has presumably heard a lot of different audio systems, went to check this one out before purchase, and decided that he liked it. It's undoubtedly very different than the sound produced by an ASR-approved system.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
$2800 for an iem cable :oops: , I knew replacement iem cables were a thing and standard cables can have microphonics and are often tangle prone such as my er4-p from 2004, that was bloody awful and tangled up if you so much as dropped it on a desk but $2800:oops::oops::oops:

Element Technology - Ode To Laura

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$2800 for an iem cable :oops: , I knew replacement iem cables were a thing and often standard cables can have microphonics and are often tangle prone such as my er4-p from 2004, that was bloody awful and tangled up if you so much as dropped it on a desk but $2800:oops::oops::oops:

Element Technology - Ode To Laura

I get to put that snake oil into my IEM for Schiit's and Giggles at CanJam in September lol

Punter

I don't think these audio wonders have been done yet.

https://www.furutech.com/2017/10/11/15603/

In some ways, these idiotic things have some useful function inasmuch as they can be used to support the connector end of a ridiculous power cable so that the weight of the shielded, homogenous, cryogenic, directional, quantum copper doesn't make the connector sag out of the socket and make a hot connection. However, the reviewers have discovered that they have something more to offer than mere mechanical support, yes, they have magical audio properties as well! Whoda thunk it :D

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/furutech_ncf_booster.htm

Okay, at this point, to say that I was more than a little shocked is also an understatement. The sheer scale and musical importance of the difference were hard to credit, and the results were utterly consistent across genre and format. Long-term listening has shown that, irrespective of what is played, the contribution of the NCF Booster Signals is as blatant as it is musically important.

Nathan Raymond

I just got this in my inbox:

Music Direct email.jpg

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anybody who buys such overpriced BS should have Internet access. It isn't that hard to Google the answer about whether there is an audible difference. The extreme snake oil works fine for teaching gullible people a lesson, like a sociology experiment about what such blatant marketing propaganda does in practice. And those who really hold on to such products obviously deserved to lose the money anyway.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody who buys such overpriced BS should have Internet access. It isn't that hard to Google the answer about whether there is an audible difference. The extreme snake oil works fine for teaching gullible people a lesson, like a sociology experiment about what such blatant marketing propaganda does in practice. And those who really hold on to such products obviously deserved to lose the money anyway.

I submit that few buyers of such actually care whether the sound is really better, and just want their system to look cool.

Rick “as defined by the purveyors of cool—we are not they” Denney

sq225917

Major Contributor
Just for the record, that Audiobeat review is him saying they did nothing, without actually saying it. Read it carefully, he makes no claim for anything at all. That's why he's the best audio writer out there. How you read that piece is entirely down to your own bias.

Oh he's good, so very good.

ta240

Major Contributor
I think they should have their internet access revoked so they can't join forces with other ignorant people.

Punter

It's not whether the cable causes an audible difference; it's whether the listener believes that it does.
Confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance take care of that ;)

Top Bottom