• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Surprised to see Combak hasn't been mentioned before.

Jesus:oops:, that’s an utter abomination of a website, looks like someone asked “what typeface do you want?” and the answer returned was “yes”, never made it past the first page to look at the products as the site made me feel queasy.

mansr

Major Contributor
Surprised to see Combak hasn't been mentioned before. A friend's dealer recently tried to convince us that their tuning feet make such an amazing difference. Scombak would be a better fitting name.
And CD tuning sheets! Can they be used on the tuning CD for even better effect, or will that open a wormhole to an alternate universe?

MinMan

Surprised to see Combak hasn't been mentioned before. A friend's dealer recently tried to convince us that their tuning feet make such an amazing difference. Scombak would be a better fitting name.
You might appreciate greater heritage, tradition and nostalgia in your preferred snake oil:

Attachments

• dont-miss-out.jpg
    dont-miss-out.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 105

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm very interested to see how the RME works out as a oscillator source. :D I've never used a DAC for this purpose. I always had a HP oscillator.
I expect the ADI-2 Pro FS R works out for verifying specifications, such as bandwidth and distortion - it is a nice way to check for snake oil or just to make an experiment. Remember a voltage divider if a power amp is measured, or ADC hardware can become fried very quickly. Still a good idea to measure with an oscilloscope first to check that a power amp is stable.

"One of the development ADI-2 Pro goals was to make it so good that it can serve as hardware frontend for audio measurement software. Accepting a few limitations the hardware should be capable to measure most of the audio interfaces, DACs, ADCs and analog equipment that is in daily use by many. To achieve this the ADI-2 Pro must have superior tech specs.

"The superior real-world specs listed and shown throughout this manual make the ADI-2 Pro one of the best hardware frontends available. 120 dB dynamic range (RMS unweighted), zero hum, support for different reference levels, super low-noise outputs, very low THD values, galvanically isolated operation through battery power, special 384 kHz SPDIF mode via optical connection, and very small level tolerances – the ADI shines on both your desk as well as the measurement lab!"

Last edited:

Audiofire

Forum Donor
I am very happy with this thread. 53 pages on snake oil. I think my mom would be proud if she was alive. If you guys find any "new" snake oil be sure to post it up. This way the search function can find all the different snake oils for anyone who needs info on them. Being all in one thread makes it pretty easy. Thank you all for coming through. I also want to thank the moderators for even contributing! So much snake oil, so little time to educate.
We are making research like the real field of study called the sociology of scientific ignorance.

Last edited:

bkatbamna

You might appreciate greater heritage, tradition and nostalgia in your preferred snake oil:
I'm not sure that is snake oil because the company doesn't make any claims of better sound with the use of it.

Audiofire

Forum Donor
I'm not sure that is snake oil because the company doesn't make any claims of better sound with the use of it.
Audiophoolery is a word that gets used too with such prices. The McIntosh display could also have been posted here:

DonR

Major Contributor
Audiophoolery is a word that gets used too with such prices. The McIntosh display could also have been posted here:
I think the price reflects some sort of hoped-for collectors status. If you were one of the tens of thousands who spent large amounts of money on McIntosh equipment, you might value the detritus of the sales floor more than others.

Punter

First post, be gentle :)
So I was researching an article and came across this
It's an Audiophool review of epic proportions (read it, you'll hardly be able to comprehend the number of superlatives). Not only that, the subject of the review is a €36’000 power cable.......... yep you heard it right €36’000!! That's currently US$36540.90. Do I get the prize for finding the most expensive HiFi power cable??

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's an Audiophool review of epic proportions (read it, you'll hardly be able to comprehend the number of superlatives). Not only that, the subject of the review is a €36’000 power cable.......... yep you heard it right €36’000!! That's currently US$36540.90. Do I get the prize for finding the most expensive HiFi power cable??
Seems you win the prize… for now.

CapMan

Major Contributor

Wow - insane! Perhaps the most telling comment "Today’s loaner did brilliantly with my DAC alone and pulled stunts I imagined it would." Talk about expectation bias!

For 36 grand you get some cheapy looking plastic end connectors and a couple of plastic rugby balls? I can see the genius!!

Gregss

Wow - insane! Perhaps the most telling comment "Today’s loaner did brilliantly with my DAC alone and pulled stunts I imagined it would." Talk about expectation bias!

For 36 grand you get some cheapy looking plastic end connectors and a couple of plastic rugby balls? I can see the genius!!
Agree, true genius at separating a few fools from their money. Hard to argue with total BS.

Audiofire

Forum Donor
Welcome, I believe that the most expensive power cord is the Sukhavati Power Cord by PranaWire: $56,300.00 for 3 meters (without overseas shipping taxes). The Ansuz Mainz D-TC Supreme is also 3 meters. Here is the Sukhavati Power Cord:

Last edited:

Audiofire

Forum Donor
PranaWire really takes the audiophoolery to a higher level.

Sukhavati Speaker Cable (Pair): $77,000.00 for 3 meters
Avatar Interconnect (Pair): $25,000.00 for 1.5 meters
Linebacker Sovereign In Line Passive Power Filter: $28,550.00 for 20 amperes

"The next order of magnitude in noise reduction. If you think you know the sound of your favorite vocalist's voice, think again. With the PranaWire Linebacker Sovereign micro dynamics and micro colors are delineated in a way that defies description. It is as though the sensitivity of the recording microphone had been increased by a factor of ten, especially in its ability to pick up the finest details. All frequencies are improved. Everything is cleaner, clearer, more dynamic, richer more musical and more engaging. The Linebacker Sovereign will leave you in wonderment."

Somafunk

Major Contributor

What a find :oops:, you win the internet for today.

Audiofire

Forum Donor
It's an Audiophool review of epic proportions (read it, you'll hardly be able to comprehend the number of superlatives).
You're certainly not mistaken:
"As an audio reviewer for a living I operate within several self-imposed necessary frames. I stay away from product types beyond my expertise ... Power cables neither are difficult nor tricky to evaluate. Just connect one to a component of choice and have a listen, then unplug it and replace with another cord, track any sonic shifts and write about them. That’s the entire plan."

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
You're certainly not mistaken:
"As an audio reviewer for a living I operate within several self-imposed necessary frames. I stay away from product types beyond my expertise ... Power cables neither are difficult nor tricky to evaluate. Just connect one to a component of choice and have a listen, then unplug it and replace with another cord, track any sonic shifts and write about them. That’s the entire plan."
That statement is the most asinine, stupid thing I have heard from an audiophool in a long time. They usually will dial it back as they don't want to be seen as an idiotic nutjob. But this guy doubled down in stupidity in the same paragraph. I have to say I'm impressed!

MinMan

Does that reviewer sell vintage wine? He surpasses Drumpt with his meaningless repetitive superlatives. Simply extraordinary!

Top Bottom