• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Think of it like a typical internal sound card (without the extra goodie's like mic-in,headphone output and optical which is almost the standard) but external and with a better SINAD (if balanced),nothing more.
Agree.

It’s a sound card. With a couple of unique features. So much so that you could also call it a multi-channel DAC.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
This thing only has USB input. So basically either Multi channel PCM or multi channel DSD DoP with this thing plug on a PC or Mac I assume.
DoP not needed. Direct native DSD supported. Mac or PC.
Then how much legit muti-channel sources out there to make that happen?
Dunno but I've got a few thousand of them. Lately, the majority are from downloads.
Feels like it's targeting people that some how "find" a bunch of multi-channel DSF/DST/DSD-iso files.
It does not play ISOs but you can extract the DSD from the ISOs off-line or, if the upstream player supports, you can extract them in real-time while playing.

wisechoice

Direct native DSD supported. Mac or PC.
Wow, really? Where did you read that native DSD was supported on the Mac? This is relatively rare, and from what I understand requires a custom driver, which few manufacturers provide for the Mac (exaSound being one exception from what I gather).

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Following. I Can't see any practical application for this product.

Michael

Last edited:

dadregga

I've got a music room with a multichannel setup. It's not a movie room. I have several hundred discs of multichannel music, on SACD, DVD-A and Bluray. They're all ripped into Roon, and all in either multichannel PCM FLAC or multichannel DSD format.

I think all the people talking about Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD are confused - those are lossless PCM compression formats. They convert to FLAC quite easily as part of ripping - and I rip every disc I own. You only need decoding if you want to stick a physical disc in a player every time you want to listen to an album, or are streaming Netflix video - neither of which I'm doing.

I can stream those multichannel albums (ripped from audio Blurays, DVD-As, SACDs, stored on my music server as regular multichannel FLAC or DSD files) directly to this device via a Roon bridge and enjoy them all in surround, for half the price of an AVR, without the video features that I don't need (this is for music, not video), with a much better DAC than I'd get from an AVR. That's useful.

Sure, I can do that with an AVR too, but I pay about 2x as much, for usually subpar amps, often dodgy DAC implementations, and a bunch of HDMI/video switching/decoding I don't need.

I do all the DSP (via REW measurements) and crossovers in Roon too - so again, why pay twice as much for an AVR (or way more for separates/prepros) with worse performance and features I don't need in "hardware" because I can do them better in software?

This + a decent Buckeye or similar is the cheapest and best way to do multichannel music if you already have a modern, all digital setup and a collection of ripped multichannel music - everything that needs doing is done before the DAC gets the stream, and the DAC can be pretty "dumb".

It's a very flexible, modern and convenient setup, and lets me put the money into speakers and amps, where it ought to go.

Last edited:

sam_adams

Major Contributor
DoP not needed. Direct native DSD supported. Mac or PC.
Wow, really? Where did you read that native DSD was supported on the Mac? This is relatively rare, and from what I understand requires a custom driver, which few manufacturers provide for the Mac (exaSound being one exception from what I gather).

The DM-7 does DSD64 and DSD128. Since macOS lacks support for native DSD—but supports DoP—one would be limited to DoP64 on macOS. Does DoP32 even exist? Personally, I don't know or care. I'm going to let you and Kal duke it out over this though. My money is on Kal ("Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance." - David Mamet).

Once again, kudos to @JohnYang1997 and his team for their technical excellence.

MAB

Major Contributor
I've got a music room with a multichannel setup. It's not a movie room. I have several hundred discs of multichannel music, on SACD, DVD-A and Bluray. They're all ripped into Roon, and all in either multichannel PCM FLAC or multichannel DSD format.

I think all the people talking about Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD are confused - those are lossless PCM compression formats. They convert to FLAC quite easily as part of ripping - and I rip every disc I own. You only need decoding if you want to stick a physical disc in a player every time you want to listen to an album, or are streaming Netflix video - neither of which I'm doing.

I can stream those multichannel albums (ripped from audio Blurays, DVD-As, SACDs, stored on my music server as regular multichannel FLAC or DSD files) directly to this device via a Roon bridge and enjoy them all in surround, for half the price of an AVR, without the video features that I don't need (this is for music, not video), with a much better DAC than I'd get from an AVR. That's useful.

Sure, I can do that with an AVR too, but I pay about 2x as much, for usually subpar amps, often dodgy DAC implementations, and a bunch of HDMI/video switching/decoding I don't need.

I do all the DSP (via REW measurements) and crossovers in Roon too - so again, why pay twice as much for an AVR (or way more for separates/prepros) with worse performance and features I don't need in "hardware" because I can do them better in software?

This + a decent Buckeye or similar is the cheapest and best way to do multichannel audio if you already have a modern, all digital setup and a collection of multichannel music - everything that needs doing is done before the DAC gets the stream, and the DAC can be pretty "dumb".

It's a very flexible, modern and convenient setup, and lets me put the money into speakers and amps, where it ought to go.
Unless I am missing something, this device is perfect for your application.
I am interested for use in stereo for a three-way active DSP stereo system. Since I have four subwoofers, I could even have different EQ for each subwoofer and use all eight channels... I imagine this could be really fun. Some of the Linkwitz speaker crowd could also enjoy a DM7 in a DSP crossover stack.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Those that are complaining the the DM-7 lacks an HDMI port and the ability to decode multi-channel audio, need to realize that to have included that in the DM-7 would have priced it well beyond what anyone would be willing to pay for the device simply because of the licensing fees for HDCP. There is a cost of entry to play at this performance level. However, many are not willing to pay, but are willing to look over the outfield fence and heckle the home team.

Topping should have built it with AES/EBU ports for multi-channel audio is something else that has been mentioned. Again, this interface choice would essentially limit the device to the pro market and drive the cost up—probably beyond what most members here would be willing to pay. How many consumer-level devices have AES/EBU outputs on them? Does your Mac or PC laptop have an AES/EBU port? Would you need to purchase a USB to AES/EBU interface to get the same multi-channel OS exposure to eight channels at the same sample rates? Why would you do that if the device has a de facto standard USB port that delivers the same capabilities?

For me, anyway, it comes down to how much time do I have to screw around with stuff to get where I want to be to achieve the results that I desire. Usually when it is all costed out, the monetary investment is the same or more—plus I have to invest huge amounts of time putzing around with software or other hardware to get everything to work. If I had the need for a multi-channel DAC, a device this simple—with this level of performance—makes it a very simple choice.

Neslo1108

You would please refer to my previous post #272 here on this thread.
My setup with OCTO DAC8PRO is like these two diagrams; please note that only one (single) USB 2.0 cable connecting PC to DAC8PRO.
View attachment 218023

View attachment 218024
Brilliant setup and I want to do the same. I have Audirvana instead of JRiver but it is still possible
My challenge is to also stream TV and film(Netflix/HBO) "headless" from the PC controlled via app on mobile. Today I googleTV box with spdif out to Topping D90SE dac and hifi audio goes via usb to the DAC. Any ideas?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Wow, pretty nice! One of these might find its way into a future home theater / listening room setup!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @Neslo1108,

Thank you for your interests on my multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier (audio only!) project.

You can find my latest system setup (as of May 30, 2022) here on my project thread.

So far, and also in the near future, I have little interest on audio+visual multichannel system, and therefore, I cannot speak a lot regarding your inquiry, especially the synchronization of audio and visual playback.

On the other hand, we recently had (are having) nice discussion with @gac800 who now uses MOTU 828es (as DAC) for 10-, 12- or even 14-channel multichannel sync DAC processing. You would please refer to his post #546 and thereafter on my project thread.

Please note that he and I are using digital software DSP (XO/EQ) "EKIO" as system-wide XO/EQ center on Windows PC; all of the audio player/processing applications (JRiver, Roon, Adobe Audition, AudaCity, as well as Audirvana I believe) can send digital audio signal into EKIO through ASIO driver(s), and EKIO feeds multichannel XO/EQ-ed digital signals into multichannel DAC (DAC8PRO, MOTU 828es, FOCUSRITE Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen/3rd gen, MOTU UltraLite Mk5, now also TOPPING DM7, etc.) through ASIO drivers for sync DAC processing then into multiple amplifiers.

He wrote there;
>I have also connected an audio extractor to the HDMI signal that goes to my TV. This pulls the audio information from the HDMI signal (Netflix, Prime, Apple) and sends the stereo signal to the TOSlink input of the motu828es. I have this set up on a separate “tv” config in EKIO.

Even though I do not know what would be the "audio extractor to the HDMI signal" which he uses in his multichannel setup within PC (or attached to PC via USB?), this would be of your interest, I assume. You would please contact with @gac800 by PM communication, if needed.

Also if you know and/or will identify such an "audio extractor to the HDMI signal", I (and we) will much appreciate hearing the detailed information on it from you here on this thread and also on my project thread.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
About DSD (either stereo or multichannel):
I hope you know that no DSP applies to it unless is converted,either before or real-time by the player.

So,no use for it specially if you have a software crossover which will either convert DSD>PCM before playing or worst will cancel DSP crossover if it's done by foobar for example (haven't try if Jriver warns you about it).

I always tease my friends playing the same song in DSD and then PCM that changes sound because the Mathaudio DSP doesn't apply so no EQ.
But will not be funny if it cancel crossover for example.

I hope everyone will test all that before applying,some things are accidents waiting to happen.

wisechoice

I hope you know that no DSP applies to it unless is converted,either before or real-time by the player.

So,no use for it specially if you have a software crossover which will either convert DSD>PCM before playing or worst will cancel DSP crossover if it's done by foobar for example (haven't try if Jriver warns you about it).

I always tease my friends playing the same song in DSD and then PCM that changes sound because the Mathaudio DSP doesn't apply so no EQ.
But will not be funny if it cancel crossover for example.

I hope everyone will test all that before applying,some things are accidents waiting to happen.
Apparently, HQPlayer can apply complex DSP without converting to PCM.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, I fully agree...

Nowadays, in my multichannel multi-amplifier system, I always convert DSD into 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz or 192 kHz PCM on-the-fly (real-time) by JRiver to feed the PCM signal into system-wide software DSP (XO/EQ) "EKIO".

My rationales for feasibilities/satisfactions in 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz (or 192 kHz) PCM processing, at least for my ears and brain as well as for my system (and for our beloved pets) , can be found here in detail.

Last edited:
Top Bottom