• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It has been said that "There are two type of riders; those who have been down and those that are about to…"
I belong in the former fraternity, at least three cat's lives over, along with many scars and pins/screws/plates that I "wear" as creds.
Started out on a Rupp minibike w/a Tecumseh 3.5HP lawnmower engine.
One Suzuki, five BMWs (all "Ks" ending w/the K1200S), and a few other also-rans.
I once ended up in Panama Canal on a 10k rally that started out in Denver (K75S)… But my all-time favorite bike would have to be the early '70s Triumph Bonneville.
WillowSprings track-days would deliver the most smiles for the money, though.
In and around metropolitan areas, it has gotten quiet difficult to keep the rubber side down.
In my case, an 18 year old on a cellphone made a left turn right in front me << I was doing about 30MPH w/high beams on. $85k in surgeries later and on the advice of the first responder EMTs that they "do not ride alone anymore", I thought it was wiser to hang it up after 50 + years.
There absolutely is nothing that can account (or prepare you) for an inattentive cager…

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It has been said that "There are two type of riders; those who have been down and those that are about to…"
I put about 34,000 miles in mountain riding with lots of harsh enduro crossing bodies of water and hill climbing and attempting to go where snowmobiles go in the wintertime. In the mountains of British Columbia. To the tops of mountains with green bullet shaped fiberglass microwave communications towers. After that initiation I thought I was unbeatable on the street until I missed my apex and crossed over the gravel on the right side. It was a bit bumpy but I survived and never dumped the bike. :D
In my case, an 18 year old on a cellphone made a left turn right in front me << I was doing about 30MPH w/high beams on. $85k in surgeries later and on the advice of the first responder EMTs that they "do not ride alone anymore", I thought it was wiser to hang it up after 50 + years.
That sound pretty radical and painful. I've been hit twice while motionless and I guess it just happens. :D

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If anyone wants a great experience visit the Barber Motorsports Park museum in Leeds, Alabama, just outside Birmingham. Build by the fellow who sold the Barber milk company he wanted to build a track and museum to house his incredible collection of motorcycles and cars-mostly motorcycles. It is well worth the trip. Everything from a WWII motorcycle w/ a sidecar and machine gun mounted to the oldest of them all-those bicycles with a motor and everything modern as well. I believe he has over 900 in the museum at any given time and 1,600 total. And take in a MotoAmerica race while there. The series ends in September (23rd to 25th) at that track.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If anyone wants a great experience visit the Barber Motorsports Park museum in Leeds, Alabama, just outside Birmingham. Build by the fellow who sold the Barber milk company he wanted to build a track and museum to house his incredible collection of motorcycles and cars-mostly motorcycles. It is well worth the trip. Everything from a WWII motorcycle w/ a sidecar and machine gun mounted to the oldest of them all-those bicycles with a motor and everything modern as well. I believe he has over 900 in the museum at any given time and 1,600 total. And take in a MotoAmerica race while there. The series ends in September (23rd to 25th) at that track.100 on this. You'll likely spend nearly a whole day there.
+100 on this. You'll likely spend nearly a whole day there.

Also has the largest collection of Lotus racing cars on display.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It was also expensive as heck - I saved for over a year for it.
It was expensive to take the test?
I find that very strange

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I've been told in Germany a new driver must take instruction about motor vehicles, how they operate as well as the driving component. I've been advised that Germany has some of the best drivers so they must be onto something.
When I got my German driving license in 1979 I had to show 6 hours of driving lessons, pass a theory test about our driving rules and pass a ca. 15 min test driving a motorbike, including a demonstration of a full stop break.That was on a rainy day with wet streets ...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was expensive to take the test?
I find that very strange
You have to pay for the driving lessons (mandatory), the theory lessons, the final test and getting the license document.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
About the test...
Here in the U.K., assuming that you are over 24, you can do the direct access test to be allowed to ride any (unrestricted) motorcycle.

First you must do Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), then a theory test, then module 1 (bike handling on a test course) then module 2 (observed riding on the road). (For direct access I think you have to use a bike >500cc, usually a Bandit that belongs to your instructor).

The part that may surprise some is that in module 1 there is a speed trap on part of the course. You will fail the test if you do not EXCEED 50kph (32mph) through the speed trap! You then have to swerve around cones and come to a safe stop within a certain distance (see 10:20 on below).

This bloke was about as nervous as I was...

By the time you pass the test you will probably have invested more in gear, lessons and test fees than you would spend on your first second hand bike - so you certainly feel the pressure. After passing, I had to save for another year before I could get the bike I wanted (CBR600RR).

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You have to pay for the driving lessons (mandatory), the theory lessons, the final test and getting the license document.
That's very discriminatory, only those with X cash can get a license.
Here most states provide free or very low cost courses, as do many motorcycle dealers (just smart business).
Is it the same or similar for auto licenses?

-Matt-

Here most states provide free or very low cost courses, as do many motorcycle dealers (just smart business).
If you want to talk about discrimination (which we probably shouldn't do in a lighthearted thread about motorcycling)... that happens to a far greater extent with insurance.

Not sure how risk profiling by age, occupation, etc, etc (with completely opaque algorithms) is legal; in light of equality arguments.

Last edited:

Jmsent

I started riding around age 16, prior to driving a car, and pretty much stopped at around age 35. The bikes I've owned:
Honda S90-1965
Honda CB77 Super Hawk-1967
Suzuki X6 Hustler-1970
BSA Lightning-1967
Yamaha 750 Triple-1977
Yamaha 750-Seca-1980
Honda V45 Sabre-1982
Did a ton of local riding and short trips. In '77, I toured on the Yamaha triple....Chgo to Tucson. Camped at the Grand Canyon and all over Colorado. Great trip. Sold the Sabre at age 35, and that was the end of my motorcycle adventures. I had only had one accident in all that riding, and it involved just me. Was riding on a 2 lane in Wisconsin when the road abruptly turned from pavement to sand with tar underneath. When the bike hit that, it went right out from under me. Thankfully I had all my riding gear on and escaped with just a couple of scrapes and a bruised ego. Then my best friend was killed while riding (possibly under the influence) on a Chicago street. I just figured the writing was on the wall. I had my fun, and have no regrets. But it was a less dangerous time to be on a bike, and I was a lot younger.

Last edited:

-Matt-

To get the thread back "on track"!...
(referring to the discrimination diversion, not to Jmsent's post which arrived whilst I was typing).

This is at Brands Hatch (Indy circuit) exiting Druids, on the above mentioned 600.
brands_hatch.jpg

...and this is the Fireblade (CBR1000RR) that replaced it:
Fireblade.jpeg

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can only say how it was in 1979 (it's almost surely much worse now). At that time it was the same for all driving licenses. Getting a license did cost more for a car than for a bike because more mandatory driving hours were required (like driving on a motorway or at night), much more for a truck license and again more for a bus license (special license required if you want to transport more than 8 persons).

OTOH getting a bike/car also costs money so if you lack money for a license you also lack money for a bike/car in the first place. I think my combined license for car+bike did cost little above DM 1000.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How the heck did we survive the '60s and '70s?
To some of us, back then, it was matter of learning the ol' skool method and/or by brail.

I don't even understand how this whole m/c licensing works anymore.
Like if you got to the 'driving' test on a motorcycle, and you still had a pulse: Wouldn't that automatically mean that you are qualified to ride?:cool:

We fully believed riding was a rite-of-passage and if you "failed"; it could only mean that you proved both Darwin and law of physics (-dV/dt) are still at work.
Does some authority figure really have to tell you when/what to wear for safety and protection, if you value your life?
I guess the answer has become Yes in the ensuing decades.
Although, some may argue that if you valued your life you would not ride a bike around crazy cagers.

steve59

Major Contributor
I had to take the written exam to renew 5 years ago and I failed! It seems somebody in Illinois decided to let someone who’s ridden write the test and now it actually makes sense. My first driving exam was a joke but in 06 when I retook the test it was difficult and while It won’t predict how a rider will handle a stress situation it makes sure the rider is skilled enough to handle the bike.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll try to keep it short:
I lived at 5000feet for 2years and had 3 ways to go down/up for work, etc. Learned every one of those twisties like the back of my hand.
Few of us decided to take Reg Pridmore's CLASS school at WillowSprings. While riding there (100miles), I had this "LOL! Like what are they going to teach me?" attitude.
During the return trip home, I could not believe the improvements (technique/speed/effort), while going flying up those last 30 miles of the mountain.

TL&DR version: You can teach an old dog (after 20 years of bad habits) new tricks!

raif71

Major Contributor
Just discovered this thread today and decided to share my story about an audio enthusiast friend and motorcycle. I knew this friend when he sold me some audio gears and we became friends. Over the 2 years I knew him we exchanged audio gears until one day, he told me that he had stopped audio gears purchasing and had now moved on to motorcycle. He more or less sold his audio gears but kept some for listening purposes. We hardly contact anymore after he focused his hobby to motorcycles :facepalm:

-Matt-

Anyone following the Isle of Man TT this year?

Gas Monkey has a presence so I guess there are hopes to export coverage to the U.S.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If you want to talk about discrimination (which we probably shouldn't do in a lighthearted thread about motorcycling)... that happens to a far greater extent with insurance.
I was speaking of a discriminatory practice if the high cost of licensing, etc was only applied to only motorcycles. I've now been informed that it's across the board with autos too. So big government is sticking it to them all equally.
As I mentioned, most US states provide government financed free or near free motorcycle training classes in the interest of safety.
Not sure how risk profiling by age, occupation, etc, etc (with completely opaque algorithms) is legal; in light of equality arguments.
With insurance that's only common business sense. Same with young drivers and 500 hp autos. LOL.

Does some authority figure really have to tell you when/what to wear for safety and protection, if you value your life?
They shouldn't. We as riders fought mandatory helmet laws for decades and decades. It should be up to the rider if he feels the limited hearing and peripheral vision caused by most helmets is worth it. I can remember back in the 70s helmet laws were universal throughout the US with the sole exception of California. Now today we riders have been able to reverse that situation in 31 of 50 states, where most only have mandatory helmets for riders under a certain age.
Funny part is today California is stuck with mandatory helmets for all, that figures. LOL.
Let the riders decide !

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They shouldn't. We as riders fought mandatory helmet laws for decades and decades. It should be up to the rider if he feels the limited hearing and peripheral vision caused by most helmets is worth it. I can remember back in the 70s helmet laws were universal throughout the US with the sole exception of California. Now today we riders have been able to reverse that situation in 31 of 50 states, where most only have mandatory helmets for riders under a certain age.
Funny part is today California is stuck with mandatory helmets for all, that figures. LOL.
Let the riders decide !
In Canada helmets are mandatory. I was in Washington State riding around by myself and I was pulled over by two motorcycle coppers and they never gave me a ticket. I had my full face helmet on with the visor up and no glasses over my eyes. So they simply warned me that eye protection is required and they said nice bike and rode off. I thought about it and they are right. Some big fat bee or a juicy grasshopper gets in my eye and I'm toast. :D

Top Bottom