• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LTT Lab is going Brüel & Kjær

Lambda

Major Contributor

This will probably generate some traffic on the ASR forum and the ASR YouTube channel.
Specially if @amirm comments under the video... *hint*

Also can u guess who is working for Linus as audio test engineer?

Lambda

Major Contributor
Congratulations to @SamV !

Also i think the head makes sense for them especially if they do Headset/microphone testing for consumer/gaming peripherals.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Honestly, this is great to see.

jae

Major Contributor
If LTT buys a nearfield scanner it will completely revolutionise the industry. I hope that’s the next step.
I think that would have been more interesting as there are so many more speakers out there to test, but the niche of computer/tech/gaming users are heavily biased to using primarily headphones so it makes more sense for them. That being said, if they are only planning on releasing their findings in review/video format, there is no way they are ever going to be able to pump out enough content compared to other sources of this head/earphone data. The good thing is that such a mainstream source will be using objective data, which will further encourage manufacturers to make innovations now that a wider lens is cast on them.

LearningToSmile

I think that would have been more interesting as there are so many more speakers out there to test, but the niche of computer/tech/gaming users are heavily biased to using primarily headphones so it makes more sense for them. That being said, if they are only planning on releasing their findings in review/video format, there is no way they are ever going to be able to pump out enough content compared to other sources of this head/earphone data. The good thing is that such a mainstream source will be using objective data, which will further encourage manufacturers to make innovations now that a wider lens is cast on them.
I think they reviewed/showcased a fair bit of speakers over the years, maybe more than headphones - just not really audiophile/stereo stuff and more bluetooth/lifestyle speakers. They've definitely said they're going to be doing speaker testing, but whether Linus can be talked into shilling out the $$$ for the Klippel NFS is anyone's guess. If I was Klippel I'd be reaching out to get them a unit at cost just for the exposure.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they reviewed/showcased a fair bit of speakers over the years, maybe more than headphones - just not really audiophile/stereo stuff and more bluetooth/lifestyle speakers. They've definitely said they're going to be doing speaker testing, but whether Linus can be talked into shilling out the $$$ for the Klippel NFS is anyone's guess. If I was Klippel I'd be reaching out to get them a unit at cost just for the exposure.
Klippel doesn’t need the exposure from LTT. Not even in the slightest.

Lambda

Major Contributor
I think that would have been more interesting as there are so many more speakers out there to test, but the niche of computer/tech/gaming users are heavily biased to using primarily headphones so it makes more sense for them.
Not only headphones but things like laptops, tablets and phones starting to get sophisticated audio and even beam forming is becoming a thing.
Especially for microphones. A nearfield scanner is not the ideal to to test this.
Maybe we have models for free standing speaker in an average room but i doubt this will do for tablets and laptops that are super close to you.

But the good thing is a (or the) mainstream tech media channels is making a step into the right direction.
I hope others will copy this and manufactures get scared of getting called out by LTT.

I think they reviewed/showcased a fair bit of speakers over the years, maybe more than headphones - just not really audiophile/stereo stuff and more bluetooth/lifestyle speakers.
This is what most people are using to listen to music. and in this area honest testing can have the most impact/ improvement.
For me this is way more interesting then testing snake oil scam quest cabels or boutique Speakers.

Instead of exposing all the Scam products in the so called "high end" market.
One can do more good by promoting Excellent "consumer" products.

Klippel doesn’t need the exposure from LTT. Not even in the slightest.
Not Klippel directly but this is a bit short sighted.
If they promote the data and the measurements to customers. customers will start to look and ask for this data.
Manufactures and other review outlets then need to reach out Klippel to get the tools to acquire the data or optimize there products

Nvidea,AMD, Memeox or Kioxia also don’t exposure from LTT.
But it is also not hurting them...

Giving away a product like a Klippel scanner is also way cheaper for Klippel then you might think.
90% or so is in the R&D and they have done this anyways.
The hardware is a bit of 4040 aluminum extrusion a view steeper motors and microphone

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
With the growing popularity of gaming on large displays, both on PC and console, I think there is an opportunity for quality audio to go beyond headphones.

Now with HDMI, it is extremely easy to pass videogame audio. A growing number of game studios are starting to use DTS X and Atmos sound, effectively making a home theatre setup absolutely worth it.

I have been gaming on a multichannel setup for almost two decades, first in 5.1 and then, expanding to more channels.

It is definitely more expensive to get the setup for a 7.2.4 or even a 5.1 than headphones, but I honestly think that audio manufacturers have a potential market in gaming that can help spread the audiophile bug to a larger crowd.

I have mentioned several times Doom Eternal as a clear example of a game that cranks to 11 with a good system, but Final Fantasy VII remake improves quite a lot with a central speaker and rears.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That said they have reviewed superexpensive headphones including one piece that had an internet headphone reviewer, you know the one who sports those circular washer style earrings the size of Yap money, to do a puff piece on his Abyss headphones, complete with $3k cable, and $10 k worth of DACs and headphone amps. A video bar I don't think Linus will ever be able to Limbo under.

If the dummy head puts a stop to that, it will make for a major improvement in LTT.

Last edited:

600_OHM

Wow - I really liked that vid! Kept it entertaining and informative.

The beauty about testing is that you may not make the absolute best decision when you jump in for the first time. Once you get to know your cans, and yourself, you can see and relate to measurements better and make a better informed decision on those that are a better fit for you sonically should you decide to move to a different model.

Nice job.

Of course grandpa here didn't have anything but PONG for gaming! Instead, this instructive vid made me immediately go back to this and get my retro groove on like this!

This would certainly make the HATS smile!

Haint

Interesting to see the measurements on 25 people, closed back and IEM bass response varied wildly from user to user--to the point that measurements, reviews, and recommendations are nearly worthless considering bass has such an outsized effect on "sound quality".

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Interesting to see the measurements on 25 people, closed back and IEM bass response varied wildly from user to user--to the point that measurements, reviews, and recommendations are nearly worthless considering bass has such an outsized effect on "sound quality".
Except that they are not. For bass, adjustments need to be done for taste anyway. The region above though can have many aberrations that separate the good headphones from bad.

Haint

Except that they are not. For bass, adjustments need to be done for taste anyway. The region above though can have many aberrations that separate the good headphones from bad.
I take your point, but unfortunately a great many devices lack any kind of EQ adjustments. Potentially the #1 or #2 use case for headphones these days (videogame consoles and increasingly VR headsets) notably lack such functionality across the board. Even among devices that do (PC and mobile), I don't think it's controversial to assume >95% of users don't bother and use them as is.

While most of the clumping is within a 5dB spread--itself enough to make a dramatic difference in the perceived sound--I can't imagine the further outliers would find much use in measurements or reviews of this ATH-MX50. While certainly useful in the aggregate sense, for the single end user it makes it a bit of a dice roll where you'll fall on the spread for headphone X or Y, which was the point I was trying to make.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Wow this is a game changer for the headphone industry.

His audience is huge.

Manufacturers will be watching.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
. . . and even beam forming is becoming a thing.
Especially for microphones.

Beam forming for microphones on laptops has been a 'thing' for over a decade now. Driver failures on Lenovo devices was a PITA back then.

Linus Tech Tips is starting to do Headphone reviews using the scientific approach by getting a B&K 5128 and hiring a dedicated Headphone Engineer.
In the video they explain the reasons of doing this methodology of reviewing which is basically what most of us ASR users know. in the end they also explain the reason of going with this kind of expensive equipment and they show the ASR forum post where Amir explain the reason of going with the Gras 45c instead of the B&K.

To be honest i really like this approach by one of the most recognised Tech creator which means that the no-nonsense scientific reviews will get a really wider audience now. i'm looking forward to their future reviews and see how they will compare with ASR ones

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the mods could combine all these threads?

Top Bottom