• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 must be stopped

captainbeefheart

Your back-end is fully-surveilled by googles/amazons/twitters/tiktoks of the world, but that does not mean that your front-end is NOT being fully-surveilled by your ISP.

With a Tor browser the googles/amazons only see a Tor IP address exit node and your ISP only sees you enter a Tor entry node, this makes it very difficult to put two and two together where they can say you visited this site at this time because once you are in the Tor network that's pretty much all they know. This could tip off interest in you where they would then need to perform a man in the middle attack before entering the Tor node, but as long as you encrypt sensitive data they still have nothing but gibberish. It's much more anonymous than not doing anything.

I do agree in that getting your average computer user to learn this stuff isn't going to happen even though it's really not that difficult. They'll spend more time trying to find nude images of their favorite actress than learning something about computer security.

Digby

Major Contributor
Okay... I'm getting real tired of explaining myself to strangers ... just accept that I have my reasons and leave it there, please.
Fair enough, it is quite unusual though, if you want the reasons private too, that is your choice.

captainbeefheart

Not at all? Not even a dumb phone...isn't that rather inconvenient these days, what with minimal payphones around?

I keep mine off. It's there if I need it but big tech can't see everywhere I go so they can 'personalize ads' for me based on my travels. Really the NSA just mines any data, your gps movements are one of them. It's not like someone is there watching you, the information is just there saved on a server in case 'they' need to go through you with a fine tooth comb. This can be based on a crime you may or may not have committed or even something as sinister as getting into politics and now anyone with access to the prism can spend the time to evaluate your digital footprint saved on servers.

I'll take my tinfoil hat off now.

D

Deleted member 46664

Fair enough, it is quite unusual though, if you want the reasons private too, that is your choice.

1) Yes the reasons are private.
2) It's really none of anyone's business.
3) One of the reasons I go out is to get away from it all.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not at all? Not even a dumb phone...isn't that rather inconvenient these days, what with minimal payphones around?
There was a time when peeps used to ask "?what will you do in an emergency?" I used to tell them "I don't do... emergencies!"
Since 92% of US population now have their own personal 'beacons', I will not hesitate to use one as my lab-rat, if needed!
Some don't do trade-offs between convenience and security/privacy, at any cost basis.
Okay... I'm getting real tired of explaining myself to strangers ... just accept that I have my reasons and leave it there, please.
Why get testy, when you can attempt to use insults to explain yourself, like I did!:cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1) Yes the reasons are private.
2) It's really none of anyone's business.
3) One of the reasons I go out is to get away from it all.
I'm the same. I am @ home most days and I go out to get away from pooders and telephone calls. I've had 4 cel tels and all of them where used for chess and little else.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
People who argue over their computer usage are weird to me. Just use the thing, no need to justify how or why.

I do wish windows would maybe do things that people actually ask for. I can't think of a feature they've added since 7 that I actually use. Pausing file transfers maybe? Where's the native explorer tabs?

D

Deleted member 46664

I'm the same. I am @ home most days and I go out to get away from pooders and telephone calls. I've had 4 cel tels and all of them where used for chess and little else.

I've got one ... a burner... sitting on a table. The only time I use it is for testing bluetooth connections.

quorzar

Bad prediction for the future. For all who want their control back for now: Windows AME or Manjaro KDE

D

Deleted member 46664

People who argue over their computer usage are weird to me. Just use the thing, no need to justify how or why.

Even weirder when total strangers get all bent out of shape over it.

If I had valuable jewelry that I kept in a safety deposit box nobody would bat an eyelash ... but because this is computer data we're talking about they get all bent out of shape ... totally spandicated behaviour if you ask me.

Simply stating that "I have my reasons" should have been enough.

I do wish windows would maybe do things that people actually ask for. I can't think of a feature they've added since 7 that I actually use. Pausing file transfers maybe? Where's the native explorer tabs?
That too....

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I do wish windows would maybe do things that people actually ask for. I can't think of a feature they've added since 7 that I actually use. [1]Pausing file transfers maybe? [2] Where's the native explorer tabs?
How could I ask you why without asking you to explain your reasoning?;)
[1]Get a faster computer, [2]Get an alternative FileManager...
--------------------------
Edit: [1]There is a pause button during file transfers if you go to the 'advanced view'... but speedy transfers makes it useless.

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
There was a time when peeps used to ask "?what will you do in an emergency?" I used to tell them "I don't do... emergencies!"
Since 92% of US population now have their own personal 'beacons', I will not hesitate to use one as my lab-rat, if needed!
Some don't do trade-offs between convenience and security/privacy, at any cost basis.
Ok, maybe you wouldn't mind stating your reasons. I could understand not wanting a smartphone, but a dumbphone is a relatively poor beacon (sans GPS it is accurate to within 100 square metres?). Why at any cost? I'm interested.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, maybe you wouldn't mind stating your reasons.
Not Cost; for sure; because I keep my mate's apple appetite fed every other year.

*UX/UI; what could possibly go wrong if you take two 27" monitors, one full 111-key keyboard and 2 quality bookshelf speakers and then put the package in your garbage compactor? How useful do they become, once you take them out? Is this too drastic for visualization for you?
*Bar People: In search of bars, whether they are for battery or connection... sure you can play your videos for a possibly a dozen hours but tell the truth, how many juice-ports (wired/wireless) have you set around the places you need to be in? chargers? cables? all for the sake of 'bars'?
*Soft Tissue Issues: I prefer to NOT have mine interact with a near-field transmitter, despite all the approvals.
Is three (besides the security implications) enough yet?

*I am not even going to get into the topic of sound quality, even if we disqualify them as music-quality.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are soooo "due" as I am!;)
I can't just donate mine because, I am not giving away the 4U 19" rack chassis, that is stuffed to the gills w/primo hw.
I originally started w/an MSI Radeon R9/390 that was replaced w/an Asus Radeon RX470/8GB for its 3x DisplayPorts
No one would know what to do with an dualNIC MoBo, anyways.
Do you need a spare MoBo for your system?
I do not, but thanks. Still have my previous 2 machines to figure out what to do with.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How could I ask you why without asking you to explain your reasoning?;)
[1]Get a faster computer, [2]Get an alternative FileManager...
--------------------------
Edit: [1]There is a pause button during file transfers if you go to the 'advanced view'... but speedy transfers makes it useless.

Not sure what the first point is even referring to but all the 3rd party tabbed explorer apps break for me.

I know there is a pause on file transfers I think you misread my post.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did not say I was not applying security patches ... you guys made that up all by yourselves.
I applaud you for the extra effort to keep Win7 patched. I still prefer it to 10 in some ways.

IMO, once OS updates end, it's time to keep that box offline. Most people don't realize that one unpatched exploit allows an evil website to get OS admin, because your browser runs somebody else's code. IOW, even without OS holes, an infected site can attack all your other devices from a local-subnet address. All of those devices with unpatched exploits or weak passwords are done. Possible solutions are extensive time in firewall rules or disabling scripting in your browser. Both are a complete pain in the rear.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm. Since 7? How about window snapping? DirectX 12? Multiple Desktops? I like the tabbed Explorer idea.

Top Bottom