• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 must be stopped

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That was just an example from my wish list. I haven't settled on this particular model as yet. I'm seeing reports of fan noise (not good for HTPC duty) and a couple of other minor issues in various reviews. I plan to order around the end of the month.
When I upgrade from my Mele Quieter 2 fanless mini-pc, it will be to a Mac M1 Mini, I no longer want to mess around with Microsoft and Windows, and all the rest performance limitations.

D

Deleted member 46664

When I upgrade from my Mele Quieter 2 fanless mini-pc, it will be to a Mac M1 Mini, I no longer want to mess around with Microsoft and Windows, and all the rest performance limitations.

Sounds good ... Hope it works out well for you.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure about "performance limitations" as Windows is the gaming and benchmarking OS. You're probably talking about the ARM CPU which is a different discussion thread.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe I had to install the ASUS Realtek drivers because of device manager needing those. Been awhile but I'm pretty sure.
I believe your Z690 "RealTek Audio Control" panel is an ASUS ROG design and not a reduced set of controls that Win11 installs (or RealTek's own).
[I did not see the "Noise Cancelling" feature in your photo << is that setting in the "advanced audio" section? Should you have it on, if set by default?]
Asus (as you may remember from your older Z170 under Win10) has its own built-in updater for all the drivers (not just audio) that are needed at the root motherboard level. It is an absolute nightmare to update these drivers, unless you play ignorant and just command it to either do auto-updates or tell it to download and install all updates in one shebang. I learned otherwise with multiple rig-builds using Asus motherboards: "Once bitten, twice shy" and "If it ain't broken; don't fix it" applies more to MoBo updates than to WindowsOS.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe your Z690 "RealTek Audio Control" panel is an ASUS ROG design and not a reduced set of controls that Win11 installs (or RealTek's own).
[I did not see the "Noise Cancelling" feature in your photo << is that setting in the "advanced audio" section? Should you have it on, if set by default?]
Asus (as you may remember from your older Z170 under Win10) has its own built-in updater for all the drivers (not just audio) that are needed at the root motherboard level. It is an absolute nightmare to update these drivers, unless you play ignorant and just command it to either do auto-updates or tell it to download and install all updates in one shebang. I learned otherwise with multiple rig-builds using Asus motherboards: "Once bitten, twice shy" and "If it ain't broken; don't fix it" applies more to MoBo updates than to WindowsOS.
Yes, I installed the OS and used the ASUS auto loader for some stuff and I manually did it for other stuff. I'm not changing anything for awhile...lol... Everything is working well atm. I'm afraid to update the UEFI BIOS because I had a major upset event loading Windows in that a BIOS setting and a new video card was required in order to get it to recognize the NVMe drive. What a rush that was figuring it all out. :D

Nozza

I have my beefs with Microsoft, but I don't buy this rant. He seems to have two key points that could have been stated in < 1 minute, and the rest is just ranting. Neither of those two things holds true in my Microsoft Windows 11 world.

1. I use Windows 11, and I have the options to run the OS (a) with or without Secure boot; and (b) run bimodal BIOS/UEFI (though I haven't tried it; Lenovo says the option is in there, though I don't know what it would get me).

2. For my business, I have never shared my Bitlocker keys with Microsoft. Still haven't, and I'm running Windows 11. It's still just an option that is offered to the user, not required.

Is everything a conspiracy? I have other things I care about a lot more that I wish MS would do.

yeah it's sounds like a load of scaremongering twaddle.

UEFI - I don't get this concern. So Windows 11 requires secure boot to be on for it to load. He's complaining this restricts Linux usage, or rather would do if some flavours of Linux didn't have a Microsoft signed key. But you CAN turn it off on PCs. Nothing in Windows 11 controls your BIOS settings. So what is the problem?

He then moves onto "software made my small companies shouldn't have to be signed by Microsoft to run on YOUR computer". It doesn't though does it? I run all sorts of tools and I can see the sigs of their binaries and they're signed by all sorts of companies. Windows 11 hasn't stopped me running them. "You must ask Microsoft for permission to do everything" - eh? Ludicrous.

TPM - You can decrypt bootlocker as long as you backup the recovery keys somewhere. And of course you need to be backing your data up anyway. All this "they want to lock up YOUR data and store the key on THEIR computers". Well yes, that is what they suggest and the default, but they give you other options too.

IT security has been horribly lax and experience teaches us that you cannot rely on users to help themselves. They just won't bother. So OS makers have done things like turning on encryption by default. Apple did it on Macs and iPhones, Android did it and now MS are doing it. And of course they want to give you simple way of backing your keys that is on their systems, so when you mess up, they can help you sort it out. Makes complete sense. People want security but they also want convenience. It's very hard to make both happen at once. To do it, the price is generally giving up some control/privacy/anonymity. And it's a price people are happy to pay. People are free to use Linux. But they don't. Because it's annoying and difficult for 95% of users.

You only have to look at the comments to see who this appeals to "Look up The Great Reset and You will own nothing and you be happy" deary me

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I may recommend a regimen with your new Z690.
What a rush that was figuring it all out.
First create a dedicated location (not @root NVMe) where you are going to download all of the Asus motherboard updates in the future, before installing in a pick-n-choose manner. Care should be taken when a new MoBo is released, as there will be many software patches and updates at the onset... but less so, in subsequent years.
Here is the '1 picture = 100 words' to prevent a TL&DR:
202205_AsusMoBoFOlders.jpg

Ever try to track down which versions of which MoBo updates you are currently running, before clicking that "install all" button?
Asus (and Intel) are not really known for doing proper uninstall routines to eradicate older versions (of updates) that makes for nasty left-over cling-ons. Asus (as well as Intel) have previously recommended which slew of updates to install FIRST before randomly installing the mess (I think Asus recommendation was that Network [LAN] updates should should take that priority, over all other drivers.)
I hope the above image doesn't make me OCD, as I think it provides me sanity but, as always, YMMV.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

First create a dedicated location (not @root NVMe) where you are going to download all of the Asus motherboard updates in the future, before installing in a pick-n-choose manner. Care should be taken when a new MoBo is released, as there will be many software patches and updates at the onset... but less so, in subsequent years.
View attachment 207426
Ever try to track down which versions of which MoBo updates you are currently running, before clicking that "install all" button?
Asus (and Intel) are not really known for doing proper uninstall routines to eradicate older versions (of updates) that makes for nasty left-over cling-ons. Asus (as well as Intel) have previously recommended which slew of updates to install FIRST before randomly installing the mess (I think Asus recommendation was that Network [LAN] updates should should take that priority, over all other drivers.)
I hope the above image doesn't make me OCD, as I think it provides me sanity but, as always, YMMV.
I deleted all downloaded driver packages after I installed them. It would be easier to reload windows and let it do a fresh update/(me installing manually) of drivers. :D But it's working so well atm. :cool:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 207426

I 've had the similar issue with Asus, Gigabyte and MSI downloads. Now I generally rely on the WHQL drivers supplied by Microsoft and only deploy the vendor specific drivers where absolutely necessary (i.e, where there's no WHQL driver available). I guess it's a trade-off between running the absolute latest drive (and we like to kid ourselves that this must therefore be the 'best one') with the one that's been though a full certification process.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I 've had the similar issue with Asus, Gigabyte and MSI downloads. Now I generally rely on the WHQL drivers supplied by Microsoft and only deploy the vendor specific drivers where absolutely necessary (i.e, where there's no WHQL driver available). I guess it's a trade-off between running the absolute latest drive (and we like to kid ourselves that this must therefore be the 'best one') with the one that's been though a full certification process.
Unfortunately, I've always found that the µS/Win drivers are not full-featured for more advanced settings, offered by the hardware manufacturers.
Worst example would the the print driver features...:mad:
I deleted all downloaded driver packages after I installed them.
Since drive space (or price) is no longer an issue, retaining driver packages (et al) in a dedicated drive is not a bad thing. Same also goes for retaining older software packages.
Unfortunately, I have not found good/reliable alternative to Acronis archiving (cloning/imaging) as the TPM/BitLocker encrypted drives don't play that well ...post cloning, unless used with same hardware.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IT security has been horribly lax and experience teaches us that you cannot rely on users to help themselves. They just won't bother. So OS makers have done things like turning on encryption by default. Apple did it on Macs and iPhones, Android did it and now MS are doing it. And of course they want to give you simple way of backing your keys that is on their systems, so when you mess up, they can help you sort it out. Makes complete sense. People want security but they also want convenience. It's very hard to make both happen at once. To do it, the price is generally giving up some control/privacy/anonymity. And it's a price people are happy to pay. People are free to use Linux. But they don't. Because it's annoying and difficult for 95% of users.
Thank you for explaining from this angle. So many people are just not seeing the bigger picture.

I have a friend who let his kids play with his iPhone. He would normally unlock it for them, but one time they got ahold if it, it wasn't. Apple has a maximum number of unlock attempts before they wipe the device. He lost years of video and pictures of the early years of his kids. Those files are not recoverable because he didn't have a backup.

Obviously this is a real-world scenario that Apple just didn't think about, which was shocking to me, but the point is technology has to work in the hands of citizens or you will lose them as customers after some bad experiences.

vert

Forum Donor
Slightly off topic rant: I wish people stopped using the words "conspiracy theory" mindlessly. The term was coined by a security agency in the late sixties. It is a policing term. Hell, even here in Europe the foreign equivalents were introduced in media discourse in recent years, are now being thrown around not always with good reason, often just to shut people off who say things another happens not to like.

As to Windows 11, everything seemed fine, until an essential program for my work wouldn't run, and I went back to Windows 10, where some Windows features (the store) do not work and can't be recovered unless I reinstall everything, but they are not essential. It is stable otherwise. Windows 11 is no longer offered in my updates.

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Slightly off topic rant: I wish people stopped using the words "conspiracy theory" mindlessly. The term was coined by a security agency in the late sixties. It is a policing term. Hell, even here in Europe the foreign equivalents were introduced in media discourse in recent years, are now being thrown around not always with good reason, often just to shut people off who say things another happens not to like.

As to Windows 11, everything seemed fine, until an essential program for my work wouldn't run, and I went back to Windows 10, where some Windows features (the store) do not work and can't be recovered unless I reinstall everything, but they are not essential. It is stable otherwise. Windows 11 is no longer offered in my updates.
Nopes

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I always thought it was a term Karl Popper made widely known. I don't think he meant for it to always be pejorative either. For instance what would you call the conspiracy to kill Julius Caesar? You'd at some point have a theory of conspiracy to understand what happened.

Nozza

Have you seen the comments under that video? "Maybe it's time that we got Elon to make computers and operating systems? Gates wants to control the world and inject people with vaccines."

Yeah it's a call out to hardcore libertarians and conspiracy theoriests. The guys's other videos, especially his non IT stuff paints a certain picture of what his beef is.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a friend who let his kids play with his iPhone.
This story was reported on 2022/05/18:
2-year-old orders 31 cheeseburgers on DoorDash after taking mom’s phone
Texas mom Kelsey Burkhalter Golden's toddler sneakily took her phone and ordered 31 cheeseburgers from McDonald’s.
The total bill for the extra lunchtime sandwiches was $91.70 and included a $16 tip for the DoorDash driver who had to make the trek to her house.

From <https://nypost.com/2022/05/18/2-yea...eburgers-on-doordash-after-taking-moms-phone/>

Attachments

• 1653065399800.jpeg
    1653065399800.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 47

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[1]Slightly off topic rant: I wish people stopped using the words "conspiracy theory" mindlessly. The term was coined by a security agency in the late sixties. It is a policing term. Hell, even here in Europe the foreign equivalents were introduced in media discourse in recent years, are now being thrown around not always with good reason, often just to shut people off who say things another happens not to like.

[2]As to Windows 11, everything seemed fine, until an essential program for my work wouldn't run, and I went back to Windows 10, where some Windows features (the store) do not work and can't be recovered unless I reinstall everything, but they are not essential. It is stable otherwise. Windows 11 is no longer offered in my updates.
[1]OT: What would you propose as a replacement for "conspiracy theory"? DeepState? Cabal? DarkNoise?
[2]Doesn't Win11 have that "legacy mode" to run older Windows programs in their own space (similar to what Win10 offers)?
My only gripe w/Windows10 is that despite many root-canal attempts, I have never been able to activate/launch the emoji panel (combo: WinKey+PeriodKey)

vert

Forum Donor
[1]OT: What would you propose as a replacement for "conspiracy theory"? DeepState? Cabal? DarkNoise?
[2]Doesn't Win11 have that "legacy mode" to run older Windows programs in their own space (similar to what Win10 offers)?
My only gripe w/Windows10 is that despite many root-canal attempts, I have never been able to activate/launch the emoji panel (combo: WinKey+PeriodKey
To my knowledge it's a CIA term historically in terms of usage. It starts to reek of a police state when it's being used by journos and ordinary citizens. It should be abandoned. It shouldn't be replaced with anything. Why should it be? This isn't East Germany.
About Windows 11, it didn't occur to me to look into that possibility as I had to get back to work fast. The few hours I spent with it weren't a bad experience apart from that.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My only gripe w/Windows10 is that despite many root-canal attempts, I have never been able to activate/launch the emoji panel (combo: WinKey+PeriodKey)
Do you have the prerequisite update applied? I'm assuming so. I'm not sure why, it works for me. Sorry I am not of any help.

Top Bottom