• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA Sucks - Why Do We Use It?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
A properly constructed, tight-fitting RCA plug that is inserted and left undisturbed provides a perfectly adequate connection for single-ended signals. Sure, it has some flaws, but it was readily available when someone first decided to introduce hifi separates. Locking connectors like BNC (single-ended) and XLR (balanced) are mainly of benefit where cables are constantly yanked about, such as in a studio or on a lab bench.

As has been pointed out, RCA is, for better or worse, the established standard, so trying to replace it with something else now would likely be a fool's errand. To succeed, a replacement would have to be either clearly superior at the same cost or significantly cheaper. I don't see either as particularly likely.

This thinking, while logical, is flawed because:

1. People who are buying on the cheap / convenient end of the market probably aren't even getting RCA these days. All those mono Bluetooth speakers that are selling like hotcakes don't even have RCA connectors, they have AUX mini jacks.

2. Except for vintage gear collectors, audiophiles are the ones who still want full sized analog line level connectors

3. Audiophiles hate cheap. In fact, they love more expensive.

4. QED RCA should die

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
There's more. How about this?
b_maxi_link_muco_01__74262.1361696173.jpg

How many channels is that?

WoodyLuvr

Perhaps the confusion in regards to (as well as bad feelings towards) RCA interconnects is an unintentional mix-up between good and bad experiences with build quality, aesthetics, and technical capabilities vs audible benefits.

If being completely honest, most, if not all, of us would agree that reasonably priced, well-made RCA cables, if left completely alone, can and have served well... providing excellent, if not perfect connections for our home audio systems.

The line of diminishing returns, audibly and electrically speaking, is well within the parameter specs of even the most lowly budget RCA cables for home use. Simple quality can be achieved and at low cost if done correctly. Simple sometimes is best. An uncomplicated connection in most cases, in regards to electrical and hi-fi systems, is really all that is required to reach 100% proficiency, efficiency, and dependability. Anything beyond that simply becomes an exercise in futility. As they say, a connection is a connection... just like the hidden, unseen basic wiring in our speakers, headphones, amps, etc. which is doing it's job perfectly well even in an extremely narrow, naked, and/or shockingly simple state with no fancy connectors and/or heavy-gauged sizing to speak of.

With that said, on the flip-side most of us do have our individual horror stories and nightmarish flashbacks of those sadly made RCA interconnect cables that we once owned... you know the ones with the poor shielding, faulty soldering, and/or ill-fitting connectors that were unfortunately repeatedly plugged in and out of our audio equipment until their 'loosey-goose' ways, buzzing back-talking, and overall lazy ill-work ethics drove us into mad rages and fits resulting in our cursing and whipping them about until they were thrown into a garbage can. I do remember owning a few pairs of those!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always found that the performance of RCA interconnects improves after being cryogenically treated in liquid hydrogen and when used with a Tice clock and painting the terminals with a green highlighter pen.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My dislike of the RCA connector is that it's pretty much the only audio connector that makes the signal before the ground, and has no locking mechanism to hold it in. Many are either too slack and fall out, or so tight it damages the plating on the socket and can't be removed easily.

However, as has been mentioned, it's cheap, it's ubiquitous and will be with us for a long time.

The only two audio connectors I think are worse are the horrible 3.5mm jack, which has generally if not totally replaced the much better 6.35 mm jack, and the DIN connector. At least the DIN connector has the benefit of not making the signal before the ground, of having an optional locking mechanism, having a logical 3,5.7 pin expansion and being able to be used as a poor man's XLR either as a mono or stereo balanced connector,and as a combined input/output connector. The only real problem with the DIN is how terrible it is to wire, and consequently how fragile the connections are.

For me, the BNC for unbalanced and XLR for balanced are pretty much ideal, with the TRS jack excellent for connections that have to be made and unmade as in a patch panel. I just wish that the TRS B gauge jack had become standard rather than the A Gauge.

S.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For me, the BNC for unbalanced and XLR for balanced are pretty much ideal, with the TRS jack excellent for connections that have to be made and unmade as in a patch panel. I just wish that the TRS B gauge jack had become standard rather than the A Gauge.

Okay, I could get behind BNC. But I've only seen it used on coax, as opposed to, say, star quad.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, I could get behind BNC. But I've only seen it used on coax, as opposed to, say, star quad.
The BNC is specifcally an unbalanced 50 ohm or 75 ohm connector, with tightly controlled dimensions, so ideal for applications where impedance matters, or indeed where a convenient locking connector is required. When I worked in TV, bringing a 50 ohm connector on site was pretty much a dismissing offence, as the consequences of it getting used were serious, but generally, for audio they're interchangeable.

Digital audio in combined AV facilities used the BNC for AES-EBU as the same cable and infrastructure could be used for analogue TV and digital audio, much as in audio only studios, the XLR balanced digital audio could be sent over existing balanced analogue lines as a twisted pair cable comes out at somewhere near 110 ohms without even trying, and anyone wiring a combined analogue digital studio would sensibly use a known 110 ohm cable as analogue audio doesn't care about impedance.

S

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...a 3.5mm mini jack is equally cheap and a more reliable / solid connection...

Less reliable by a long shot.

Is this wrong? Do you think RCA is superior to 3.5mm mini jack?

RCA is infinitely superior to a 3.5mm mini jack. You do know the 3.5mm jack was simply an radio earphone jack don't you? A miniaturised 1/4" version for portable devices. It uses single, small, spring metal, point contact on the tip and ring and in most cases the sleeve too. Add another ring for 4 pin versions and it gets worse.

Most RCAs use a significant whole pin internal contact and full circumferential outer contact. They also offer considerably better RF shielding than any TRS arrangement.

I really can't understand your rant- it makes no sense whatsoever.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
At least we can be all thankful the DIN plug is dead. And that f#$king SCART. And the S-VHS plug. Damn EU and their stupid connectors.

Consider they tried to make the two pin DIN a standard for speakers in the 1970s. That's a hideous plug.

mansr

Major Contributor
At least we can be all thankful the DIN plug is dead. And that f#$king SCART. And the S-VHS plug. Damn EU and their stupid connectors.
S-VHS is a type of video tape. You probably meant S-video which uses a mini-DIN connector. For all its flaws, it's at least better than composite video. SCART is a French design, which says all you need to know about it.

garbulky

Major Contributor
There are tons of dual TRS/XLR setups in the pro world, mainly for space saving reasons:

AG_RME_ADI-2_Pro_front_back.jpg
Interesting didn't realize that. But why would you use TRS if you already have XLR outputs? I mean I guess you can. It's not much different....

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Interesting didn't realize that. But why would you use TRS if you already have XLR outputs? I mean I guess you can. It's not much different....

Because:

a) The output XLRs are already being used to connect to my monitors. So I needed to use the TRS outputs.

b) On the input side, I could have gone either way. The cable I'm using happened to come with TRS on that side, so I just went with it.

It's nice to have the flexibility to use either depending upon what cable happens to be handy.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Consider they tried to make the two pin DIN a standard for speakers in the 1970s. That's a hideous plug.

Doesn't NAIM still use a 7 pin DIN as their proprietary analog connector of choice?

Also, tonearm cables also often use a mini DIN connector on the arm side.

Top Bottom