• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sent my Koetsu Black to VAS to be repaired. Chose it over a new cart or new DAC, and am confident in my choice.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thought about sending it to Soundsmith as well, but they're backed up even worse, like 5 months or more. They got hit bad with COVID and shut down for a month, I believe Peter Ledermann got it twice and was seriously ill for a while (doing better now). There's also no guarantees that he personally works on the cartridge, which is what I would want, I think he just does final QC. I don't think they listen to it before they ship it back either. They also push for replacing the whole cantilever assembly, and I believe their boron cantilevers are thicker than original Koetsu's, thus affecting the sound. You can request a re-tip only but it's not any cheaper since it takes longer. Also need to jump through some hoops on their website before you can send in your cartridge. Don't mean to badmouth, I personally don't have any experience with them. They have plenty of good publicity, but it's more of a big production line.

VAS is a small operation, and you know that Steve Leung, THE MAN, works on your cartridge. They build their own cartridges as well, the VAS Nova has some acclaim. They also have refurbished and upgraded Denon 103R's which seemed like an interesting option. But I wanted my precious Koetsu back, with the lush midrange, and everything voiced just how I like it. Will update when I get it back and set it up, when the Michell Gyro SE sings again.

Yes I remember reading about Peter when he was suffering from Covid. Sounded horrible. I can imagine how backed up they are. It would be tough to live without a cartridge that long. (Though I guess some people have back ups. I don't).

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience with a CD changers (NAD and Sony non-ES) is that they had older embedded DACs that have lower SINAD than the >100dB that is quite common now at low price points. Linearity is also much better with newer DACs. My Schitt Modi 3 was a big improvement for my 15+ year old NAD changer. My new Integra CD changer sounds indistinguishable from my external DACs on both of my systems.
I probably need to correct the record. I did some testing last week with my CD players and DACs to sniff out perceived differences. What I found: the older CD players put out less voltage than my newer DACs. When corrected for volume, they did not sound nearly so different. Likely not different enough to be able to tell the difference in blind testing. Even if the newer DACs measure better, the difference in absolute terms may be immaterial and inaudible.

@Frank Dernie is right again, as usual.

What may be entirely material and audible are the measured differences in cartridge performance. So there, the best advice may simply be "go with what you like the most" because distortion and non-linearity are likely to be high regardless of whichever selection you make.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
VAS is a small operation, ...they also have refurbished and upgraded Denon 103R's which seemed like an interesting option. e
FWIW, I had a Denon DL-160 sans stylus, I bought years ago, in my drawer of analog stuff. A seller on ebay advertises retipping. I think he charged $150.00 for an elliptical. Came back in a week, and it sounds fine. If I'm not mistaken it was some kind of bonding process, which is probably not as ideal as NOS, but the DL-160 has been out of production for years, and the DL-110 is now about three hundred dollars.

Denon used to offer a return policy-- they'd send you a new cartridge if you sent back the old one. I think it was about half price. Maybe a bit more. Dealers offered it. But Denon doesn't support their cartridges like that, anymore. Maybe Pulse Oximetry Guy will fix that when he buys the company.

I originally bought the Denon from the old Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor which, I think, was in NY, or New Jersey, or somewhere. The price on the box shows $160.00. Raskin had a mail order cartridge business for years, but finally threw in the towel.

LarryRS

Peter Lederman of Soundsmith and his crew make some very enjoyable cartridges (I have a Zephyr MIMC Star). I also have a Soundsmith Ruby OCL stylus on a Grace F9E cartridge and have had Soundsmith rebuild an Ortofon X3 MC for me. Have been very happy with Soundsmith products and services, I've not had Steve retip anything for me but have really enjoyed his VAS Nova cartridges.

OP
drewdawg999

drewdawg999

So was able to set up the re-tipped refurbished old Koetsu Black today. Tracking force set at 1.85 gr per suggestion of VAS, loading 100 ohm and maxed out at 60 dB gain on the Phonomena phono pre. I must say I'm a very happy camper. Was told by VAS that break-in is 20-30 hours. Already sounds good to me after a little mental break-in and a couple hours of spinning a few favorites. Lush in the midrange, female vocals were very nice indeed, no sign of stridency on belting peaks. Surface noise is getting better and less noticeable by every record. It'll just keep getting better and better until it peaks after another 30 albums or so.

There is a bit of hissing noise though with the phono pre maxed out, amplifying the tiny 0.4 mV MC signal. Noise is not noticeable during music though, just sort of washes away with the surface noise. The cartridge and phono pre make beautiful music together, with plenty of detail from top to bottom. Good driving defined bass. Especially good in the midrange, airy decay of vocals is very satisfying indeed. Commands your attention.

Setting up the cartridge was a bit of a pain, with the small screws and nuts and having to be so delicate with a fragile item. Took me a long time to get tracking force right. Steve Leung is one skilled master, performing microscopic surgery like that is awe inspiring. This Koetsu has not sounded this good in many years. Great to have a healthy cartridge, one that delivers the music in a very special way. Still has a little more to go but it soundly defeated my hot-rodded Rega P3 today, a noticeable improvement in pleasure and enjoyment.

Even was able to blast some Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy, and it was awesome, very dynamic. Had to crank the volume at times though to achieve proper Zeppelin levels, at about 85 avg dB, peaks to 90. Just slightly loud, but that's what a 350W amp is for. Jimmy Page's guitars were heavenly with a nice thick tone, and Plant's vocals were otherworldly. Transients were plenty quick in presenting a hefty drum sound, and nice fat round bass tones. Also my scratchy copy of Hotel California has never sounded so good, so involving. Had a pretty great day of close listening. Can heartily suggest VAS for re-tipping and repair of your very best cartridges.

LarryRS

Not at all surprised at your satisfaction with the VAS-retipped Koetsu. Don't think I have ever heard or read anything but a glowing review of Steve Leung's work. I hope it keeps getting better. Enjoy!

Godataloss

There is a bit of hissing noise though with the phono pre maxed out, amplifying the tiny 0.4 mV MC signal. Noise is not noticeable during music though, just sort of washes away with the surface noise.
This is the trade-off I'm afraid to make. My super efficient system is as quiet as my digital source with my aging Ortofon Black. I feel like an mc is going to be a lateral movement if I have to live with system noise.

LarryRS

This is the trade-off I'm afraid to make. My super efficient system is as quiet as my digital source with my aging Ortofon Black. I feel like an mc is going to be a lateral movement if I have to live with system noise.
If you want to try a moving coil there are a number of high output ones available (Dynavector 20X2H comes to mind immediately).

Godataloss

If you want to try a moving coil there are a number of high output ones available (Dynavector 20X2H comes to mind immediately).
I've been looking at the Hana's. I've tried one of the Denons (103r?) and it was ok, but the Black was clearly better. It's like car shopping without being able to test drive.

LarryRS

The Hana's have certainly gotten great reviews, and offer a Shibata and Elliptical variant of their high output cartridges. I have an ML (low output, microline stylus) Hana that a like quite a bit. I also had a Dynavector 20X2H. The specs say that the Dynavector has higher output than the Hana (2.6mV vs. 2.0mV), which may be an advantage in your system. In truth, I don't think you can go wrong with either one and it is going to come down to what sounds better to you and better complements the rest of your system. It's unfortunate that there are fewer opportunities for trying out cartridges in a home system than most other components, not to mention how sensitive some cartridges are to setup.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I have a VERY low hours original Koetsu Black here (I'd suggest well under a hundred hours on the tip). Sadly, one of the coil wires got caught when the bottom plate dropped off and I tried to re-fix it and said wire snapped just off the coil former where it travels back alonside the magnet. No idea if it can be spliced back together without needing a re-wire, but I'm terrified it's going to cost hundreds of pounds I don't have spare to repair it :( Unlike the earlier Red and Onyx, which sounded dead and far too 'velvet-toned-high-end' for my tastes, the Black was far more truthful if still a little beefy in tone. My deck/arm loved it though and I keep telling myself I'll fix it one day...

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an Ortofon 2M Blue, not a Black, and I moved up to the Hana SL. I got much less surface noise from the Hana SL than from the 2M Blue. I love the Hana SL so much that I have a hard time imagining going back to a MM cartridge again on my VPI Traveler. I currently use the 2M Blue on my second system with a PLX-1000. When the stylus wears out, I will likely consider having Steve L. put a line-contact stylus on my 2M Blue.

Godataloss

I have an Ortofon 2M Blue, not a Black, and I moved up to the Hana SL. I got much less surface noise from the Hana SL than from the 2M Blue. I love the Hana SL so much that I have a hard time imagining going back to a MM cartridge again on my VPI Traveler. I currently use the 2M Blue on my second system with a PLX-1000. When the stylus wears out, I will likely consider having Steve L. put a line-contact stylus on my 2M Blue.
I have experience with the Blue. It's nowhere near the Black (as you would expect for 4x the price) which is basically the same price as the Hana SL. I'm with you and leaning toward the Hana SL at this point for the shibata stylus, and keeping the Black as a spare. The stylus on the Black has held up amazingly well, but is $650 to replace (you could also put one on your Blue if you wanted top-tier mm) so long term cost of ownership is no better than the Hana. I did this same dance in my mind before I bought the Black. It's maddening, so it's nice to get reassurance from someone that is using the same Hana.

LarryRS

I have experience with the Blue. It's nowhere near the Black (as you would expect for 4x the price) which is basically the same price as the Hana SL. I'm with you and leaning toward the Hana SL at this point for the shibata stylus, and keeping the Black as a spare. The stylus on the Black has held up amazingly well, but is $650 to replace (you could also put one on your Blue if you wanted top-tier mm) so long term cost of ownership is no better than the Hana. I did this same dance in my mind before I bought the Black. It's maddening, so it's nice to get reassurance from someone that is using the same Hana.
I don't believe the 2M Black stylus is compatible with the 2M Blue body. My understanding is that styli can be swapped between the 2M Red and 2M Blue and between the 2M Bronze and the 2M Black.

Godataloss

I don't believe the 2M Black stylus is compatible with the 2M Blue body. My understanding is that styli can be swapped between the 2M Red and 2M Blue and between the 2M Bronze and the 2M Black.
Ortofon would like you to believe that, but the styli are all interchangeable hence the fact that they charge 90% for the stylus.

LarryRS

P
Ortofon would like you to believe that, but the styli are all interchangeable hence the fact that they charge 90% for the stylus.
Physically, they will certainly fit. But there are differences in the generating mechanisms between the Red/Blue and Bronze/Black. Whether or not those differences optimize the engines for the line contact type styli vs elliptical I have no idea.

Godataloss

P

Physically, they will certainly fit. But there are differences in the generating mechanisms between the Red/Blue and Bronze/Black. Whether or not those differences optimize the engines for the line contact type styli vs elliptical I have no idea.
The only differences is the wire and composition of the body- silver coated wire and glass resin (plastic) in the Black and Bronze vs just plastic and copper in the Red and Blue. IMHO the potential differences these changes bring to the table are likely indicative of the relative price differences in the body's themselves- about $50. Electrically the whole 2m line is nearly identical. The thinking is that the slightly better bodies go to the Bronze and the Black, but the difference is miniscule. In a MM cart, it's all about the stylus.

LarryRS

There are differences in the recommended tracking weight, the internal resistance, the internal inductance, the output voltage, the frequency response, and the frequency range. Not being an expert in cartridge design, I'm not willing to say the magnitude of the electrical differences between the cartridges would be consonant with "nearly identical". There are many other similar examples (e.g., a Signet TK5E and a Signet TK7E).

Godataloss

There are differences in the recommended tracking weight, the internal resistance, the internal inductance, the output voltage, the frequency response, and the frequency range. Not being an expert in cartridge design, I'm not willing to say the magnitude of the electrical differences between the cartridges would be consonant with "nearly identical". There are many other similar examples (e.g., a Signet TK5E and a Signet TK7E).
I'm not an expert either, but considering the cost of the stylus is 80% of the cart, I think you can draw some conclusions. Electrically the differences are cartridge inductance (700mH for Blue and 630mH for Black- about 10%), 1db higher channel separation for Black (negligible) and 0.5mV higher output for Blue (again about 10%)- I think all of these differences as well as FR could be attributed to the stylus assembly, but you are correct, it's entirely my speculation. I remember a poll (on the Hoffman forum iirc) with rips of the same track using the blue, black and bronze styli on a black body. The only obvious difference in the three was the Blue stylus sounding inferior to most.

The only reason I suggested it is I see you can get a Black stylus for $575 now. They used to be $650- a lot closer to the $700 price of a complete Black Cart. Is the body worth another $125 if you have a Blue body that gets you most of the way there? Probably not I suppose. If I get a SL, I could send you my Black as an experiment- FOR SCIENCE!

LarryRS

I have compared the Red and the Bronze, I have them both, although I haven't swapped their styli. I bought the Red quite a long time ago, as it got really good reviews when it was first introduced and, I figured, for the price why not take a chance?. But the Red didn't last long before being replaced by the Bronze. By comparison to the Ortofon X-3 I was using at the time I found it to be harsh and thin-sounding. I could have bought a Blue stylus to upgrade the Red but, not willing to take the chance that a stylus upgrade might not effect a significant change, I just went ahead and bought the Bronze. I have it mounted on a Dual CS5000 and still use it quite a bit, especially when I'm being lazy and/or busy with something and want to hear a record without worrying that I won't be able to lift the tonearm at the end.

The CS5000 has a replaceable headshell and I have a number of cartridges mounted on spare headshells, including a Signet TK7E, a Signet TK7Ea as well as the 2M Red and 2M Bronze. Of those, I would definitely choose the Bronze. I have that table in the same system as a another table that I have used the VAS Nova Signature in - to return to the original subject of this thread (finally!! - to the OP, sorry for the long digressions). As one would expect, the VAS Nova is in another world from the 2M series. I am pretty confident that, if Steve Leung's retip of the Koetsu is of a similar quality to his cartridges, the OP will be very happy with the result.

Top Bottom