• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class A amplifier

@Audioexcellent please, learn to quote and reply properly on this forum... ya noob. :p

JSmith
Class D amplifiers don’t do a good job with high end speakers with loads less than 4 ohms. They don’t put transformers that are big enough in most of them so, go back to listening to your cellphone dongle and read some more marketing hype and you can act like you know what you’re talking about.

Geert

Major Contributor
As much as I can understand class A doesn't break up the AC signal like other type of class B or class AB. That why people want gryhon, boulder, pass lab.....etc
That's indeed why they like it for the wrong reason. There's nothing wrong with 'breaking up the signal', if you can reconstruct it without audible artefacts. Class AB can do so. All digital audio is also about 'breaking up the signal', and reconstructing it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Class A amps are very linear and I have one that can drive a speaker down to 1 ohm

Unfortunately this has nothing to do with class-A
Furthermore if it were still class-A driving 1ohm loads it would need to have a very, very high idle current and get steaming hot because of it.
More than likely above a certain output power it will be a class AB amp.
Still.... when you are happy with it just enjoy it. You are entitled to your opinion but opinions are just that.

As much as I can understand class A doesn't break up the AC signal like other type of class B or class AB. That why people want gryhon, boulder, pass lab.....etc

Class B amplifiers do not exist. Some people are terribly misinformed and believe everything they are told or are sure they hear.

Unfortunately this has nothing to do with class-A
Furthermore if it were still class-A driving 1ohm loads it would need to have a very, very high idle current and get steaming hot because of it.
More than likely above a certain output power it will be a class AB amp.
Still.... when you are happy with it just enjoy it. You are entitled to your opinion but opinions are just that.

Class B amplifiers do not exist. Some people are terribly misinformed and believe everything they are told or are sure they hear.
These days all PA amps are class D. They run thousands of Watt's continuously into <2 ohm loads for hours non stop. Show me a class A amp that can do that.
Krell ksa 300s and you’re talking about a PA amp? That’s like comparing apples and oranges. What Hi Fi equipment could you commonly use as an example.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Class A amps are very linear and I have one that can drive a speaker down to 1 ohm which many now can’t even drive down to 2 ohms.
What? Even my 1.5 decades old Class D amp can drive 1 ohm loads just fine:
1643876483248.png

It should do about ~300W in 1 Ohm.

They don’t put transformers that are big enough in most of them
Most amps nowadays don't use massive transformers anymore but opt for an SMPS. These things can deliver massive currents with high efficiencies in a small and light form factor. And some of them are properly regulated as well. They do have an issue with maximum current delivery though. Where a transformer will saturate and sag, an SMPS will often have less desirable behavior.

There is a simple solution though: buy the right tool for the right job. Just stay within the design limits of the equipment.

All these generalizations of amplifier classes are total non-sense. Just judge an amp on its own merits and accomplishments regardless of its design. It's almost like with humans :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Krell ksa 300s and you’re talking about a PA amp? That’s like comparing apples and oranges. What Hi Fi equipment could you commonly use as an example.
This one for instance. Want more? There is a 2kW model as well, it will do 2kW into 2 Ohm.

That Krell has horrible distortion figures BTW:
1643877834029.png

Only a 52 SINAD at 4W into 2R :facepalm: It's pathetic! It would land the thing in the bottom 3 of the ASR amp SINAD chart. Even the 1W 8R figure is only 72, which lands it just outside of the bottom 10 of the chart.

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
That thinking arises from a very poor understanding of the electronics. In one way it is true, but it is being used to justify something that is not true.
That's indeed why they like it for the wrong reason. There's nothing wrong with 'breaking up the signal', if you can reconstruct it without audible artefacts. Class AB can do so. All digital audio is also about 'breaking up the signal', and reconstructing it.
It is choice. People will give up power and possible distortion for Class A amps. Company like Gryhon, Pass Lab, Boulder will continue to work on this design rather than Class D. Benchmark AHB2 or Genelec 8361A isn't gonna be end game for ASR.

Geert

Major Contributor
Krell ksa 300s and you’re talking about a PA amp? That’s like comparing apples and oranges.
You were not talking about a specific Krell amp but class A versus D in general.

Geert

Major Contributor
It is choice. People will give up power and possible distortion for Class A amps. Company like Gryhon, Pass Lab, Boulder will continue to work on this design rather than Class D. Benchmark AHB2 or Genelec 8361A isn't gonna be end game for ASR.
What 'possible' distortion? Distortion can be measured without a problem.

You can buy whatever you want, no one at ASR says otherwise. But if you want to claim class A is superior you can expect some resistance, unless you have evidence to share.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Class D amplifiers don’t do a good job with high end speakers with loads less than 4 ohms.
This is ASR, provide evidence of this claim... put up or shut up as they say.
go back to listening to your cellphone dongle and read some more marketing hype and you can act like you know what you’re talking about.
You seem to have a problem understanding what play the ball not the man means. It is clear now with these personal attacks that you have an agenda here... poor form.
another big topic
Please... feel free to start a new thread then and we can all discuss it in detail.

JSmith

kongwee

Major Contributor
What 'possible' distortion? Distortion can be measured without a problem.

You can buy whatever you want, no one at ASR says otherwise. But if you want to claim class A is superior you can expect some resistance, unless you have evidence to share
Even measurement will be tolerance and can be calculated, well that another big topic.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
What about it, have you heard it, have you compared it, Ken Rockwell likes it so much, he put it up for sale, most likely a very good vintage amplifier, that is all.
It's design and not the classification what makes or breaks things. That goes to the extent that class G-H are not class D which people (including around hire) fail to understand. That's a top design in every way (measurements and looks).
The GREC Mosfet amplifiers are the newest ones chronological looking at! The first class G ones are couple of years older (see references in history section of that review regarding predecessors).
No I don't have one but if I ever stumble upon one in good condition I will try to get it. Now I will authend my dirty cheap Yamaha to sound better (grounding - shielding).

kongwee

Major Contributor
What does any of this mean?
The more you hitting the measure limit of the measuring tool like LCR, VI meter and even scope, higher the error of those meter. The most simple case is analog measuring of resistance. All analog meter will have rating like mega ohm or tens of mega ohm internal rating. You have to take a meter internal rating and test component. In extreme case, if you have 1 mega ohm test sample and you test with a meter of the same internal resistance, you can have about 50% error. Of course this is not how you calculate it actually. In real world, this meter will offer much lower resistance range for you to test on. I don't do calculate the error range at all, even I was taught in polytechnic.I just used the meters that is validated by my company. This kind of work is for designer or research.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The more you hitting the measure limit of the measuring tool like LCR, VI meter and even scope, higher the error of those meter.
Even if it were true, so what? Measurement equipment used to measure these amplifiers as Amir uses can measure still beyond what any amplifier does and in fact approach the thermal limit. So this issue would not even come up. We haven't seen Class A amps yet that do better than the AHB2 distortion-wise.

I think you have no idea how precise this measurement equipment is.

Top Bottom