• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best CD Player To Use As Transport?

SegaCD

I'm looking to retire my old Sony CDP-C801ES CD player for a (stereo) DAC + transport combo.

The ol' workhorse single-handledly defeated all CD/DVD/BD players that I compared it to. It easily provided a much more pleasing CD listening experience...until the other day when I ran my LG BH200 through my Topping D50. While the C801ES is a very high-quality changer model with optical digital output, it does have a couple irreplaceable parts (such as a toothed rubber belt around the metal platter that I'm just waiting to fail), I think it's time to move on to something else now that I have the help of ASR...

Anyway, does my Audio Science Review brethren have any opinions as to the ultimate CD player transport? I'm looking for a BIFL unit that is well made, uses lasers known for lasting a long time, does not use hard-to-find parts, has a nice/fast tray mechanism, & has fast CD recognition/seek speeds. It should not require a TV/monitor (i.e. has a built-in display). Style points are always welcome but unnecessary...

I have a number of optical disc players lying around that I could use such as:
  • Sony DVP-S9000ES: Pretty fast, fairly attractive, but known to have lasers that potentially burn out.
  • Phillips CD303: Absolutely indestructible mechanism, reliable lasers, needs a custom SPDI/F solution with a microcontroller
  • Game systems/PCs: Most require a TV/display to use & have extended boot times
  • Lots of random CD/DVD/BD players of misc. quality
I was also eyeing the Cambridge CXC CD which appears to give nice CD-TEXT output on the display, but, based on videos I've seen, CD recognition/seek speeds appear average & the actual tray mechanism is made more cheaply than the older units I have on hand. There are also the high-end Teacs & Pioneers of the 90's which are built like tanks but are slow & seem like overkill if I'm using an external DAC.

DVD-A, SACD, BD-A, DTS CD, etc support is necessary as it'll be thrown into a stereo set-up.

Final note, my honest, personal opinion is that a properly working transport shouldn't have a "sound" especially when hooked up to a DAC that buffers/reclocks internally. I'm looking at this from the mechanical hardware.

Any recommendations? (Ripping my CDs for network streaming is not a valid recommendation :) )

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Style points are always welcome but unnecessary...

Probably completely unnecessary, but I have a bit of a hard-on for the Olasonic NANO-CD1. I don't own one, and I haven't heard one, but it looks so damn cute! :D

OP
SegaCD

SegaCD

Probably completely unnecessary, but I have a bit of a hard-on for the Olasonic NANO-CD1. I don't own one, and I haven't heard one, but it looks so damn cute! :D

I never heard of that one before, but it is definitely slick/cute!

I'm not sure I like the slot-load mechanism though...especially at that price point. I've had a few too many slot load drives fail on me over the years!

It looks like there are a bunch of small form-factor CD transports, by Teac, Pro-Ject,etc, that are popping up with the Olasonic. I have my work cut out for me I see...

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Ultimate CD player / transport? I’ll wait for @restorer-john to pipe up, but would imagine such a list could include Sony ES 7 digit players, some Philips CDM1 machines, and maybe the Yamaha CDX10000. Overkill? Sure, but you did say “ultimate”.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Ultimate CD player / transport? I’ll wait for @restorer-john to pipe up, but would imagine such a list could include Sony ES 7 digit players, some Philips CDM1 machines, and maybe the Yamaha CDX10000. Overkill? Sure, but you did say “ultimate”.

The Sony players absolutely. The X7/77/777 and the transport only CDP-R1. The Philips based CDM-1 machines need attention (electronic) to keep going, but once that is done, they will last forever.

I've got a reference Marantz (CDM-1) CD-12/DA-12 which is a lovely transport and D/A pair.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/marantz-CD-12.html

Most issues with the vintage transports are mechanical, not electronic. Usually loading system related. It all comes down to lubrication, mechanism cleanliness, adjustment and belts. Most have two or three belts and they need replacement every 10 years or so. Nylon parts are another issue, nylon expands (hygroscopic) and cracks. Basically a cracked gear or part can render a mechanism dead. Dried out/congealed grease can make an otherwise functional mechanism into a complete dog.

A Philips based CDM-1 transport, where you place the disc directly on the spindle with a magnetic puck on top, with their own chipset and Japanese construction would be the ideal transport in my opinion. You remove all the unnecessary mechanics of drawers, chucking mechanisms and potentials for failure.

Last edited:
OP
SegaCD

SegaCD

could include Sony ES 7 digit players
The Sony players absolutely. The X7/77/777 and the transport only CDP-R1.
Ah yes! The Sony X series! I see those come up frequently on this subject. Great units, but uncommon. Are these faster mechanisms? The thing that's great about the CDP-C801ES is that even though it was a changer, it was extremely fast to load. Many CD players will take their merry old time to load. I enjoy my CDs and LPs for the art & when I want to listen to them, I want to be able to skip to the songs I want to hear quickly. Otherwise, I'd just use my network hosted media.

Also, what makes said X series better than the Yamaha GT-CD1/2, Technics Z1000, or the many other high-end CD transports out there? Some, like the unique CD-instead-of-laser-sled Sony SCD-1 are known to have lasers that go bad in time and that gives me a strong reason to avoid those. By looking purely at the transport/usability perspective, this question is a little more loaded.

Lets look at this from a more broad perspective. While I understand the general build quality, circuitry, power supply, etc of the X series and these other boutique models is better than your average model, but when using the unit as a transport, does that necessarily matter? Copper chassis, heavy shielding, separate power supplies, etc. My requirements above for a well-made, long-lasting, fast CD transport, doesn't necessarily imply a behemoth is necessary to exceed specifications. In other words, the ultimate CD transport (for me & likely others) is one that is equally as day-to-day useful as it is easy to maintain. Sonically, as long as the bits get from point a to point b unadulterated, that's it. I'm looking for the Braun of CD players, not the McIntosh. Well-made, usable, & efficient.

Most issues with the vintage transports are mechanical, not electronic.
Exactly! The mechanical issues are the most difficult to deal with as replacement parts start to dwindle. Caps/op amps will always be around, just like lubrication and rubber belts...but custom nylon/plastic parts are the bane of my existence. I've dealt with enough Sony VCRs with cracked mech mounts and enough CD mechs with cracked gears to want avoid plastic at all costs. This is why a CDM-X mechanism is so tempting. Very little wear happens in the actual drive mechanisms. Otherwise, are there any direct-drive sled laser mechanisms with the motor on the laser itself or that use long-lasting metal parts on the sled?

A Philips based CDM-1 transport, where you place the disc directly on the spindle with a magnetic puck on top, with their own chipset and Japanese construction would be the ideal transport in my opinion. You remove all the unnecessary mechanics of drawers, chucking mechanisms and potentials for failure.
I like the idea of that too! It's why I'm mentioned my Phillips CD303 as a potential candidate. Almost exactly what you wrote, just made in Europe with a mechanical drawer (that carries the whole CDM-1 mech). A CD101 would be even closer to what you wrote. Would it be worth looking into a S/PDIF interface for it? Somebody online already made one and the spec sheets for the inter-chip comms is available...so its definitely possible for me to throw something together, its just a lot of work.

Also, what is your opinion of another, newer CDM mech? I have a few Magnavox/Phillips/Sylvania CD/CD-i units that are faster than the CD303 and already have S/PDIF on them (or use standard i2c inter-chip comms making for easy mods).

On another note, I've found that a lot of modern CD "transports" use DSP before their digital outputs... Yikes. Definitely not what we're looking for here.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The most fun with CD transports is cobbling together one from bits and pieces. You really should do it.

Just yesterday I picked up a little TEAC micro system at a thrift store for a few dollars which contains the ubiquitous Sanyo SFP-101N laser mechanism and the matching LC7801/LA9242 chipset. We can access DOUT (EIAJ) direct from the 7801 and not use the inbuilt D/A converter. Disc clips straight to the top of the table- no puck required.

IMG_3109 (Medium).jpeg

IMG_3114 (Medium).jpeg

IMG_3112 (Medium).jpeg

IMG_3115 (Medium).jpeg

A very, very long thread on DIY audio (Shigaclone transport) has evolved over the last 10 or so years is worth a read. I was poking around with these boards 15 years ago and they are still fun as the boomboxes and microsystems are easily found in roadside pickups and thrift stores and make for a minimalist transport that costs absolutely no money and is virtually indestructible.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I'm not sure I like the slot-load mechanism though...especially at that price point. I've had a few too many slot load drives fail on me over the years!

Agreed, it's one of the few things that's not so attractive about it. It pains me that none of the teardown pic on the web shows anything but the PCB. Have a feeling it's a run of the mill car stereo mechanism that is readily available, though. Still, it's no fun having to replace it all the time.

FAST

Forum Donor
I'm looking to retire my old Sony CDP-C801ES CD player for a (stereo) DAC + transport combo.

The ol' workhorse single-handledly defeated all CD/DVD/BD players that I compared it to. It easily provided a much more pleasing CD listening experience...until the other day when I ran my LG BH200 through my Topping D50. While the C801ES is a very high-quality changer model with optical digital output, it does have a couple irreplaceable parts (such as a toothed rubber belt around the metal platter that I'm just waiting to fail), I think it's time to move on to something else now that I have the help of ASR...

Anyway, does my Audio Science Review brethren have any opinions as to the ultimate CD player transport? I'm looking for a BIFL unit that is well made, uses lasers known for lasting a long time, does not use hard-to-find parts, has a nice/fast tray mechanism, & has fast CD recognition/seek speeds. It should not require a TV/monitor (i.e. has a built-in display). Style points are always welcome but unnecessary...

I have a number of optical disc players lying around that I could use such as:
  • Sony DVP-S9000ES: Pretty fast, fairly attractive, but known to have lasers that potentially burn out.
  • Phillips CD303: Absolutely indestructible mechanism, reliable lasers, needs a custom SPDI/F solution with a microcontroller
  • Game systems/PCs: Most require a TV/display to use & have extended boot times
  • Lots of random CD/DVD/BD players of misc. quality
I was also eyeing the Cambridge CXC CD which appears to give nice CD-TEXT output on the display, but, based on videos I've seen, CD recognition/seek speeds appear average & the actual tray mechanism is made more cheaply than the older units I have on hand. There are also the high-end Teacs & Pioneers of the 90's which are built like tanks but are slow & seem like overkill if I'm using an external DAC.

DVD-A, SACD, BD-A, DTS CD, etc support is necessary as it'll be thrown into a stereo set-up.

Final note, my honest, personal opinion is that a properly working transport shouldn't have a "sound" especially when hooked up to a DAC that buffers/reclocks internally. I'm looking at this from the mechanical hardware.

Any recommendations? (Ripping my CDs for network streaming is not a valid recommendation :) )
use the dvp-9000es, mine is 20plus years old and still working fine. It rarely gets used anymore.

Zenek73

What about Cyrus CD?

Unfortunately not sure about mechanism :/
For me this design is great - I really like it :)

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I have drooled over the Audiolab 6000CDT transport, but it is also a slot-loading model. I'm fortunate in having a wide selection of working CD decks, most have some form of digital out. I have hoped for years to find a small transport like the Olasonic, but not as pricey, with coax out and top-loading.

Does anyone here have one of the Audiolab transports? Cambridge Audio also makes one for a little less, I believe.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
And, supposedly, Schiit was working on a CD transport, but expensive. Haven't seen any info on that for more than a year, may be chip issues that have slowed them down.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I got a Sony Blu-Ray player---BDP BX57---hooked up via Coax to the Topping E30. It set me back $7 at a thrift store. Found a remote for it, Amazon, $10. It plays all formats, sends out Redbook via coax for all formats. It also has audio out via a pair of RCAs. It's perfectly functional for two channel playback of all my discs. There's the possibility of surround for my SACDs and DVD-As in the future, but that's not gonna happen, just don't have the room for it. Within the limits of my desktop rig, it works as well as anything could.

I do need a monitor for the visual aspects of the Blu-Ray player, it prevents me from playing some of my discs, not having access to the menus. Is there something I can use to turn the HDMI out of the player to USB so I can watch on my laptop?

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What's preventing someone from building a CD transport around the disk players sold for PC builds? They won't last forever, but are easily replaceable and cheap.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any Pioneer system, with it's inverted CD system; in my case I have the dedicated transport EAD T-1000 spinning flawless since just 26 years now ...

mini_1109280925001307558812141.jpg

ca%C5%82y.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Any Pioneer system, with it's inverted CD system; in my case I have the dedicated transport EAD T-1000 spinning flawless since just 26 years now ...

You are very lucky. The Pioneer stable platter designs are renowned for the objective lens falling off the laser block. All those years upside down and the glue lets go. Most are in landfill now due to that issue.

One day, you will open the drawer and see the tiny plastic lens sitting on the rubber mat or on top of the CD you left in there. Luckily, it can be repaired carefully.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You are very lucky. The Pioneer stable platter designs are renowned for the objective lens falling off the laser block. All those years upside down and the glue lets go. Most are in landfill now due to that issue.

One day, you will open the drawer and see the tiny plastic lens sitting on the rubber mat or on top of the CD you left in there. Luckily, it can be repaired carefully.
Lol... you reminded me of that issue... Too funny. Sony had a similar lens coming loose issue too but at least the laser was pointing up.

Top Bottom