• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha R-N803 Smart Receiver Review

djigibao

Do you guys think that release note will be available in the future?
It’s really weird that there’s nothing about it anywhere.

gendish

Do you guys think that release note will be available in the future?
It’s really weird that there’s nothing about it anywhere.

It sure will I hope. But it’s strange that the firmware isn’t uploaded on yamaha.com yet.

biglebowski

Forum Donor
My CXN also recently got updated with a mention of the same thing about stability of Spotify Connect.
I really hope these actually means support for Spotify Hifi

p17s82

Hi, I'm currently using R-N402d, paired with Dali Zensor 5 (6Ohm 88db 30-150W) and looking to add small bookshelves (JBL Control One 8Ohm 89db 50W) for more filling sound.
I feel that R-N402 sounds a bit 'flat' with Zensor 5, not to mention this receiver is not best suited to drive 6Ohm speakers based on the specs and not suited to drive 2 pairs of speakers (A+B) unless they are 16Ohm (which I haven't ever seen in my life).
However, I really like streaming features and would prefer to have them in the same device rather using streaming receiver and separate amp (having the whole thing in 'Standby' mode until you start streaming onto it when it switches on automatically is really handy and hard to achieve using multiple devices).
Do you think upgrading to R-N803 will be worth it with regards to more dynamic driving the above speakers and being able to handle 2 pairs of speakers on A+B outputs?

And a bit separate topic - is there a web page to access MusicCast from browser? Entering IP address only, gives very simple network setup menu only - at least for R-N303.

Last edited:

diablo

Forum Donor
Hi, I'm currently using R-N402d, paired with Dali Zensor 5 (6Ohm 88db 30-150W) and looking to add small bookshelves (JBL Control One 8Ohm 89db 50W) for more filling sound.
I feel that R-N402 sounds a bit 'flat' with Zensor 5, not to mention this receiver is not best suited to drive 6Ohm speakers based on the specs and not suited to drive 2 pairs of speakers (A+B) unless they are 16Ohm (which I haven't ever seen in my life).
However, I really like streaming features and would prefer to have them in the same device rather using streaming receiver and separate amp (having the whole thing in 'Standby' mode until you start streaming onto it when it switches on automatically is really handy and hard to achieve using multiple devices).
Do you think upgrading to R-N803 will be worth it with regards to more dynamic driving the above speakers and being able to handle 2 pairs of speakers on A+B outputs?
I have the 803 driving KEF LS50 Metas and a subwoofer. An advantage of the 803 is that it can integrate a sub should you wish to do so.

I also have a 402d, which will drive almost anything you connect to it. It ain't no duffer.

Having looked at a measurement of the Zensor 5 - purple line on the graph shown in here -

- it may be the dip in response at about 3.5kHz which is causing them to sound a bit flat. Possibly??

The 803 has YPAO which may fill out that dip. Just a thought. :)

Last edited:

p17s82

I have the 803 driving KEF LS50 Metas and a subwoofer. An advantage of the 803 is that it can integrate a sub should you wish to do so.

I also have a 402d, which will drive almost anything you connect to it. It ain't no duffer.

Having looked at a measurement of the Zensor 5 - purple line on the graph shown in here -

- it may be the dip in response at about 3.5kHz which is causing them to sound a bit flat. Possibly??

The 803 has YPAO which may fill out that dip. Just a thought. :)
Thanks for response. It's not an empty mid, like with systems with sub + small treble speakers, it's more like when you listed to opera in the hall, and then listen to recording on JBL Flip speaker, everything sounds as it should, and the volume is OK and can be increased to be really loud, but it's not breathtaking. I tend to describe it as 'flat' in terms of volume across the song being played, it sounds kind of 'compressed'.
I heard these exact speakers with some upper class NAD amp and it was a different experience, I thought that being 6 Ohm, there should be no issues for Yamaha R-N402 to drive those, but I feel the speakers can do much better than they do now.
So, the only change I'll get upgrading to 803 is sub out and YPAO?

diablo

Forum Donor
Thanks for response. It's not an empty mid, like with systems with sub + small treble speakers, it's more like when you listed to opera in the hall, and then listen to recording on JBL Flip speaker, everything sounds as it should, and the volume is OK and can be increased to be really loud, but it's not breathtaking. I tend to describe it as 'flat' in terms of volume across the song being played, it sounds kind of 'compressed'.
I heard these exact speakers with some upper class NAD amp and it was a different experience, I thought that being 6 Ohm, there should be no issues for Yamaha R-N402 to drive those, but I feel the speakers can do much better than they do now.
So, the only change I'll get upgrading to 803 is sub out and YPAO?
I reckon so.

I've actually just tried an experiment using my lounge Yamaha A2080. I copied the 'flat' YPAO settings to manual and put in a 4dB dip at around 3.5k, then set it up so I could flip between the two. Tried it on speech, string quartet and synth - definitely sounds a little flat and lifeless with the dip. Unfortunately.

I reckon you need some correction to liven it up. Now YPAO probably isn't the best correction system there is, but subjectively it seems to work pretty well to me.

I considered getting other amps to drive my Kefs - with Dirac, and a whole lot more expensive. But they had features I didn't need and not the features that the 803 has.

Just my opinion. :)

p.s. as part of an experiment a year or two back I drove the XTZ left and right speakers in my cinema room with the 402. Those speakers are nearer 4 ohms than 6 - and very inefficient. Worked fine at my normal listening levels.

Last edited:

p17s82

I reckon so.

I've actually just tried an experiment using my lounge Yamaha A2080. I copied the 'flat' YPAO settings to manual and put in a 4dB dip at around 3.5k, then set it up so I could flip between the two. Tried it on speech, string quartet and synth - definitely sounds a little flat and lifeless with the dip. Unfortunately.

I reckon you need some correction to liven it up. Now YPAO probably isn't the best correction system there is, but subjectively it seems to work pretty well to me.

I considered getting other amps to drive my Kefs - with Dirac, and a whole lot more expensive. But they had features I didn't need and not the features that the 803 has.

Just my opinion. :)

p.s. as part of an experiment a year or two back I drove the XTZ left and right speakers in my cinema room with the 402. Those speakers are nearer 4 ohms than 6 - and very inefficient. Worked fine at my normal listening levels.
Thanks for the response. I think there's no way to adjust EQ apart from basic Bass/Treble for R-N402d, at least I couldn't find any.

diablo

Forum Donor
Thanks for the response. I think there's no way to adjust EQ apart from basic Bass/Treble for R-N402d, at least I couldn't find any.

Being an old retired bloke I like playing around with audio stuff, so I got my 402 and a couple of speakers out from my boxroom to check. No, there seems to be nothing other than the tone controls. Though think yourself lucky you've got those - plenty of amps don't have any.

So the only way of applying EQ is between an external source and the amp. There are loads of EQ apps for phones and computers.

I tried out Neutron Music Player (Eval) on my Samsung phone, which I set to 30 channels of EQ and was able to adjust various frequencies of music which I had on the phone. Sent via Bluetooth to the 402. Though Neutron Player isn't exactly easy to use if you aren't familiar with it.

I connected up two sets of speakers to the 402. Some Castle Knight 1s (8 Ohms nominal) and my XTZ 99.26 (approx 5 Ohm) and played all four together (A+B) for a while at moderately high volume. Amp hardly got warm. Of course there is no way to set the relative volumes of the two sets of speakers, other than by putting some resistance in the wiring. Though that's my set up - if you want to try it yourself then you do so at your own risk of course! :oops::)

Jake Cushing

Would someone kindly be able to explain what this means please?

From the review:

I had to play fair bit to get rid of some ground loops (this is 2-pin, insulated device). Once there, I was rewarded with pretty good SINAD which is a combined measure of distortion and noise:

Last edited:

Jake Cushing

Would someone kindly be able to explain what this means please?

From the review:

I had to play fair bit to get rid of some ground loops (this is 2-pin, insulated device). Once there, I was rewarded with pretty good SINAD which is a combined measure of distortion and noise:
Never mind, search engines are my friend. Now aiming to destroy the hum from my bedroom system.

Jake Cushing

I've set up this amplifier, it's a lovely piece of gear. I believe I can definitely hear the difference when Pure Direct is switched off, it's a slightly harsher and less solid sound.

So as a two channel amp, without room EQ, but with a bucket of streaming options, this is terrific.

Jake Cushing

I have to add, the controls feel better than Amir suggests. They have a lovely click, and the pure direct button a solid thunk. Volume feels nice too.
I have the silver version, and aesthetically, this is a winner. I really love that Yamaha has brought back this warm, classic style.

Note also that in pure direct the display does light up for a second or two if you adjust volume, and probably also if other functions are used. I've only used a cd player thus far.

Jake Cushing

Yep, the display lights up any time you do anything with the remote. I really like it. You get the info you need, then it goes blank and easier on the eyes. And keeps the analogue feelz intact.

Modellbobby

Bought it and running LS50. Seems the amp lacking some power for the hungry little monsters. Need to crank up volume pretty high -24db to listen in my 22sqm room.

Robert C

Bought it and running LS50. Seems the amp lacking some power for the hungry little monsters. Need to crank up volume pretty high -24db to listen in my 22sqm room.
That seems quite loud, what source are you using?

I have a similar sized room. I'm finding I need to set the volume to between -40 and -34 dB (depending on content) through a pair of Harbeth SHL5+.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
For those who feel like Yamaha R-N402D feals flat try to use volume trim (options - volume trim and accessible with remote and not with app) set to +1~2 which is meant to level the difference between different inputs (and it's set per input).
That's analog input stage (1.40$ part).

Last edited:

Jake Cushing

Yes I have had similar volume level requirements for my Studio Electric M4s with this amp. But it depends on the recording, of course. High dynamic range recordings, or just soft ones in general. They're normal sensitivity speakers (88db) and for a 'loud' (though too loud for my 18sqm bedroom) playback I'm up to even -12db on the volume on some discs.

But I don't get a sense the amp is near clipping, nor getting hot, and I've been running it for 10 hours non-stop to break in the speakers today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom