• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please recommend headphones that you wear for watching a movie at home

momo7G

Sometimes you just don't want to switch on everything or move to the living room/movie room when watching a tv series or an anime.

So, when you sit in front of your computer for that, what headphones will you use?

I am looking for something comfy to wear for 2-3 hours, open, closed, IEM are all ok.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find the Sennheiser HD598SR to be very comfortable and responds to EQ/PEQ very well. These are of the same or similar headband design, non-microphonic cable, lightweight Sennheiser models:
HD 560S
HD 569
HD 599

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think HD800 are among the more comfortable headphones. They have low clamp force (which can be problematic if you need to look straight down a lot, say at a desk needing to reed a book). Sound is good when EQed and people say it has a nice spatial quality to it. I don't know, and I wouldn't know because I don't use other headphones so I don't have a frame of comparison.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I generally use my HD660s, although i'll reach for the K371's if someone else is making a noise in the house. Both are EQ'd using Oratory1990 PEQ settings, although I was playing with Amirm's settings for the K371 and I felt they sounded a 'bit more lively' than Oratory1990's, so I might stick with them for a bit.

OP
momo7G

momo7G

I think I am going to get 560s when back in stock, 800s is too expensive for me. I am using win11 will try to play with eq.

Thanks for the input.

Drengur

Forum Donor
I would recommend the AKG 361 if you don't want to spend too much.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I am going to get 560s when back in stock, 800s is too expensive for me. I am using win11 will try to play with eq.

Thanks for the input.
For the PEQ use these 2 software. Install the EQ APO first and then install the Peace part.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ive got a few pairs for music and for pure comfort and performance the HD800/800S from Sennheiser are great but way too expensive for just movies/ TV.

Personally, for your use I would get a pair of Bose QC35ii whilst they are cheap due to new QC45 model coming out.

Good price, very comfy, active noise cancellation (and pretty good noise isolation even switched off) with added bonus of bluetooth so you could use anywhere in or out of the house too. Get well reviewed on here to

Sombreuil

HD 598. Most confortable headphones I've tried and they're very verstatile. They do everything well.

3125b

Major Contributor
So, when you sit in front of your computer for that, what headphones will you use?
I use my HD 600 most of the time for all kinds of content.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use my HD 600 most of the time for all kinds of content.

Regarding the R70 thread comment- I "loaned" my 600 to my brother in law for the same reason, the inside of the pads is just that bit too small but nowhere near as bad as the R70. I think I must like a relaxed fit. Or I have big lugs.

What is bizarre is I can wear the Bose QC35 with no trouble but I think they have a smaller inner oval than the Senns.

3125b

Major Contributor
I think I must like a relaxed fit.
Could be. Preferences sure vary.
I find the HD 600 fits me in the sense that it is actually ergonomic. It has medium clamping force (my 20 year old one anyway, new probably higher), but that makes for a secure fit with the perfect size and shape of the ear cups. Unlike many other headphones that might be comfortable but don't really fit a human head and ears like my super large Ananda or the round Beyers (Edition models with low clamping force, the high clamping force models are just plain uncomfortable).
I will admit though that my HD 600 could use new pads, the old ones are getting a bit flat.
I'm just hesitant because they cost 39€ and, especially since the redesign, will make them sound brighter. At least Sennheiser sells original pads that don't change the sound completely.

Before I bought my HD 600 I always thought it was overhyped. That opinion has changed, there is a reason it has stayed popular and nearly the same für 24 years now, to me it's a fantastic headphone.
I would still say that it is overpriced though. Why should it cost 311€ (regular price)? It should really be a 200€ headphone, especially since they moved the production from Ireland to Romania. It went on sale for 200€ recently - the next time it does I might have to get a second one :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are they still available? I've been searching in Europe but not luck so far
You could always look to the 560s if not- physically very similar

3125b

Major Contributor
The 598 are discontinued, the 599 is the successor. Not a great headphone though*, get the 560S instead. That whole series shares the same frame (same fit and comfort exept for pad material) ever since the HD 5X5 days in 2004 or so.

In the EU you can have a look at the Sennheiser outlet. The 599SE goes for 69€ currently, the 560S is 99€, it's absolutely worth the extra 30€.
The 559 is 49€ but that thing is tuned even worse than the 599. The 569 is the closed-back version, I've had that one and it's fairly decent for a cheap closed-back, you could get it for 79€.

Last edited:

Limaaa

You could always look to the 560s if not- physically very similar
I've had HD598 and they are the most comfortable headphones ever for me. They were greta for movie because of comfort and big soundstage. I sold them and now I regret it because I can't find anything else for movies.

Currenty I use HD600 but the clamping force is there and no sound stage. They are better for music than HD598 but not for movies.

I was thinking of HD560s but I realize the sound is bright? I want smooth non fatiguing sound for movies

Top Bottom