• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sigberg Audio Manta (12" wideband cardioid active speakers) development thread

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Does this speaker have an internal DAC that reprocesses the analog signal or can its internal amplifier be driven directly by an external DAC?
Yes digital or analogue inputs and the Hypex amps have built in EQ.
Keith

cicquetto

Is the best solution achieved by arriving at the manta in digital or is it possible to bypass the internal DAC and convey an analog signal without reprocessing?

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is the best solution achieved by arriving at the manta in digital or is it possible to bypass the internal DAC and convey an analog signal without reprocessing?
It's required for the DSP. What's your goal here, as you can pass the signal digitally and eliminate reprocessing?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I don’t know the dac implementation in the Mantas I can ask, you can’t bypass the internal dac that’s the same for every contemporary active loudspeaker.
Dacs are done, absolute state of the art performance is available very inexpensively, just look at any of Amir’s dac measurements.
Keith

poopy

I don’t know the dac implementation in the Mantas I can ask, you can’t bypass the internal dac that’s the same for every contemporary active loudspeaker.
Dacs are done, absolute state of the art performance is available very inexpensively, just look at any of Amir’s dac measurements.
Keith

Chip specification:
DSP: ADAU1450
ADC: AK5554
DAC: AK4454
SRC: SRC4382, max. sampling frequency
192kHz (optical 96kHz)

Performance:
MBW=20kHz (20Hz-20Khz), unweighted, all filters set
to unity, gain adjust 0dB, unless otherwise specified.
SNR AD/DA -109dB
SNR DA -111dB
THD(D+N) (at -1dBFS) AD/DA -100dB
THD(D+N) (at -1dBFS) DA -102.5dB

poopy

I certainly like the convenience of the AES/EBU inputs and pass-through on each speaker!

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I certainly like the convenience of the AES/EBU inputs and pass-through on each speaker!

Note that while you can use the AES to pass through from one speaker to the next, you cannot use this to pass through to our subwoofers. The subwoofers do not have digital in. So if you want to use the through-connections to connect a subwoofer to each speaker, you need to use XLR.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

I generally recommend XLR, as this enables passthrough to subs, and it's also easier in most setups without requiring to change anything. Not that many oeople will have existing preamps or sources where they can send variable volume digital out.

The AD/DA conversion is very high quality, and will in practice not be any "worse" than passing the signal through an analogue crossover. If anything it will be the other way around.

Additionally, any sound signature present in the signal from an external DAC or preamp etc (for those who have components that intentionally color the sound) will be not be affected.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
SPL Horizontal Radar charts are available for Manta?

You will find a lot of measurements here:

And there is a specific thread about the measurements here:

Please do not hesitate to ask questions you may have about any of the measurements either here or in that other thread. :)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I am proud and humble to share that we have received a product of the year award from the Norwegian magazine Stereopluss for our Manta speaker system! :D

INCREDIBLY IMPRESSIVE!
There is a lot that can be said about tonal balance, tightness in the midbass and the openness in the midrange and treble, but what I am really left with after the test is the almost shockingly precise and three-dimensional soundscape. It’s like sitting in a studio with excellent acoustics, listening to a couple of studio monitors or even better, being present where the sound originates. With an ensemble, band or orchestra at an appropriate distance from you.
1708625198019.png

1708625222911.png

Last edited:
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Finally got around to writing the "story" of designing and developing the Manta. Those who have followed this thread in detail probably know most of what's in this article already, but it's a in bit more readable and condensed form. :)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just listening to my Mantas, Pixies at the BBC ‘Manta Ray’ is playing decent recording quite raw, the Mantas are superb speakers imho.
’My manta rays all right’!
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Keith, Would you rate them number one in your stable of speaker choices at that price level currently?
Robo you would have to make that decision for yourself!
Seriously if you considering a contemporary active design they have to be on your list, along with the 8Cs and Roland’s M3 although I haven’t heard those here yet.

Keith

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A white version of the Manta with grey ports and grille has been on the drawing board since before they were launched, and now we're finally building one to see how it looks. Looks pretty promising! :D Also considering a bright oak / or something similar instead of the walnut, so the contrast between white and wood won't be as hard.

Let me know if you're interested in the Manta in this color! :)

1710521891713.png

1710521933573.png

1710521981004.png

1710522002294.png

poopy

Agreed on the wood contrast, something lighter than walnut may look more elegant. I find matt colours best (no issues with fingerprints). The material used for the ports looks different (mesh type). Have you experimented different types of mesh?

Robocop

Robo you would have to make that decision for yourself!
Seriously if you considering a contemporary active design they have to be on your list, along with the 8Cs and Roland’s M3 although I haven’t heard those here yet.

Keith
Unfortunately none of these speakers are in New Zealand. What are the Roland M3's?

I currently have UK Unity Audio, Boulder MKI monitors. These have served me well, bought them unheard on the strength of Pro online reviews some years back now.

Have you heard them?

Robert

Top Bottom