• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sigberg Audio Manta (12" wideband cardioid active speakers) development thread

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Nice, why not one below, the other on top of Manta?

I agree that would probably look better, but it wouldn't give the Mantas enough height.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
We had some Hedd ‘Main towers’ that weren’t too dissimilar bottom sub , middle bit and then the option of a sub on top, they were great fun but perhaps not the last word in sq.
Keith

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
We've shared a number of short (30-60 seconds) videos this fall where Christer Krogh, head engineer at Velvet recording talk about his experience with Manta and the SBS.1. There might be more coming, but here are the five that we shared so far :)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Uploaded them to youtube as well now, for those of you who don't do social media. :)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Removed the feet on the subwoofer in the middle so there's more even spacing between the speakers and the subs. Starting to warm a bit to this look. At least for studios where you sit high and want the speakers to clear the mixing console, or in very large rooms, this could be pretty cool. :)

And Manta with support from 8x10" in the low end sounds quite convincing. :D

1703852099082.png

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
That looks smart, just measuring here, two 10D’s would only place the Mantas 12” higher than on their stands and of course with no tilt, I think that would work really well here, as logistically and in terms of Fr the subs work best close to the mains.
Keith

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
That looks smart, just measuring here, two 10D’s would only place the Mantas 12” higher than on their stands and of course with no tilt, I think that would work really well here, as logistically and in terms of Fr the subs work best close to the mains.
Keith

Here it's a bit high, due to a low couch and relatively close listening position - but I am happy to hear it should work well over at your place, I will start writing up an order of two additional 10Ds. :D

poopy

Here it's a bit high, due to a low couch and relatively close listening position - but I am happy to hear it should work well over at your place, I will start writing up an order of two additional 10Ds. :D

How high from the floor would be the centre of the coaxial driver with the 2 subs?

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
How high from the floor would be the centre of the coaxial driver with the 2 subs?

Are you asking me to do advanced calculations in the middle of the holidays? :)

The picture below was with feet (15mm) on both subs. To get an even distance between each of them, the feet should be taken of the upper sub, and replaced by some felt pads or something, so let's say 5mm between them, so total height 136cm.

Distance down to the coax is 4cm, so 132cm. Total diameter of the coax is 148mm, so 132cm subtracted with 7,4cm = 124,6cm, give or take. :) Then one can use alternative feet on the subs to increase that a bit more. But thereabouts.

1703862164450.png

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would something like a monitor wedge work between the monitor and top sub or does it mess up the FR?

1703863913381.png

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Would something like a monitor wedge work between the monitor and top sub or does it mess up the FR?

View attachment 337970

Using something like that to tilt the speaker down towards you would be a good idea when the speakers are that high. I would however choose a monitor wedge that has an edge/stop at the end to reduce the risk of the speaker sliding off the wedge / tipping. Manta (as most speakers) are a bit front heavy due to the weight of the drivers.

So something like this:
1703870319764.png

D!sco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
two 10Ds under each speaker
They should absolutely space the subs behind the stand subs to time align them for cardioid sub-bass. 1000000% doable with your subs.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A new pair of Mantas in assembly, thought I'd share a couple of pics since they're going to an ASR member. :)

1705235839860.png

1705235904590.png

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
1705828712699.png

Our initial batch of Mantas has now sold out! :eek:

We're extremely happy with the feedback we've gotten from customers so far, and in addition to our home market of Norway, we've sold Mantas to England, Ireland and the USA. I would also take the opportunity to thank everyone who has followed the development here at ASR! :) The development of this speaker has been a fun journey, and it has been fun to you have you along for the ride!

If you were on the fence thinking about purchasing the Mantas, it is still possible to order. However, we are in the middle of switching suppliers for our cabinets (rest assured the quality will be as good or better). This means I don't expect to have cabinets back in stock before April. So it will be a bit of a wait. It will also be worth it! :D

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
April!
They are truly excellent loudspeakers, it was a bold move to design a four way loudspeaker that must be used with subwoofers, but it does make absolute sense and that is corroborated when you actually hear them.
Keith

astanway

Our initial batch of Mantas has now sold out! :eek:

We're extremely happy with the feedback we've gotten from customers so far, and in addition to our home market of Norway, we've sold Mantas to England, Ireland and the USA. I would also take the opportunity to thank everyone who has followed the development here at ASR! :) The development of this speaker has been a fun journey, and it has been fun to you have you along for the ride!

If you were on the fence thinking about purchasing the Mantas, it is still possible to order. However, we are in the middle of switching suppliers for our cabinets (rest assured the quality will be as good or better). This means I don't expect to have cabinets back in stock before April. So it will be a bit of a wait. It will also be worth it! :D

Guilty :) hi everyone, long time lurker and first time poster. I want to thank Keith, Poopy, and Thorbjørn for their detailed notes on the Mantas that helped me get to a decision. I'm a DJ and this system will be used for music only. My needs are bit different from I think a typical audiophile - I listen pretty much only to house/techno and I'm after a club-style sound in my living room that can kick you in the chest without sacrificing clarity on the mids for the synth lines. A wide image is also needed for hosting. Mantas seemed to fit the bill - I was not happy with the low end on a competitor and I agree with the design direction of totally abandoning bass on the mains and leaving that for the subs. Excited for them to arrive!

cicquetto

Does this speaker have an internal DAC that reprocesses the analog signal or can its internal amplifier be driven directly by an external DAC?

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does this speaker have an internal DAC that reprocesses the analog signal or can its internal amplifier be driven directly by an external DAC?
Yes,.there is an internal dac for the DSP.

Top Bottom