• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sigberg Audio Manta Cardioid active speakers: Full measurements (Spinorama)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Does the cardioid design improve imaging, it does look like directivity is pretty concentrated. Also wondering but why does it look like it dies off pre-maturely after 12k?
I have both the Mantas and the SBS.1s here, obviously not completely like for like they, both image really well in terms of placement but the cardioid adds a a separation in terms of depth , there is just more space between elements and the sound is clearer.
Keith

Blockader

It's important to note that in-room response measurements for speakers should not be interpreted at face value, unlike the approach one might take with headphone frequency response measurements. This difference stems from the fact that the in-room response of speakers includes a combination of direct sound and reflections. In contrast, headphone frequency response primarily consists of direct sound, with only minor reflections above 3-4 kHz, depending on the headphone's cup size.

For human auditory perception direct sound is perceptually dominant over reflections. So, if a speaker has a flat or boosted on-axis treble response and a dramatically attenuated in-room response, it might not sound like it has recessed treble to our ears as much as in-room response of speakers suggests.
Measurements can reveal a speaker's accuracy and how effectively its designers have incorporated the principles of human psychoacoustics into its design. However, due to the non-linear nature of human hearing, it is always a good idea to experience speakers firsthand rather than relying solely on in-room response measurements.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I don't think "recessed treble" is a typical reaction to hearing the Mantas. And if one wants more, there's a preset accessible by a press of a button behind each speaker that will lift it by an additional 2dB. Further customization can be done in the onboard EQ if need be. :)

poopy

I don't think "recessed treble" is a typical reaction to hearing the Mantas. And if one wants more, there's a preset accessible by a press of a button behind each speaker that will lift it by an additional 2dB. Further customization can be done in the onboard EQ if need be. :)

You could even do a +2dB high shelf with the coax beaming at ear level as I do

I usually have a quick roll off of the treble beyond 10kHz at the MLP. Unavoidable in an untreated room with curtains, rugs, and other highly absorbing pieces of furniture.

Sitting closer to the speakers would help but then the soundstage size may be compromised. So playing with toe-in and EQ is the solution.

I guess if one is used to audiophile speakers with wrongly pronounced treble, one would need a high-shelf with the Mantas. I can recall a recent demo of the SF Olympica III... I had to leave the room after a few minutes, the treble was piercing.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
A few more years and you won’t have to worry about those high frequencies.
Keith

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
First white Manta has arrived, just a couple of shots in horrible lightning, will share some more when it is assembled. Looks awesome! :D

1712091863560.png

1712091885155.png

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
World's first Manta in satin white is now assembled. :D

1713435901889.png

1713435977641.png

The question now is what ratio of black vs white color will be ordered. :oops:

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
World's first Manta in satin white is now assembled. :D

View attachment 364428
View attachment 364429

The question now is what ratio of black vs white color will be ordered. :oops:
They look really nice. How do they look with the cover attached? I think the white with a black cover has to look really good.

If I were your designer I would recommend to upgrade the look by designing a cover ring for the baskets of the driver which cover all screws and provides exactly the same black color for both drivers.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
They look really nice. How do they look with the cover attached? I think the white with a black cover has to look really good.

If I were your designer I would recommend to upgrade the look by designing a cover ring for the baskets of the driver which cover all screws and provides exactly the same black color for both drivers.

I don't want to complicate the purchase process too much on the website, but if a customer were to contact us we could accommodate both grey and black grille on the white version.

With regards to cover rings: I understand what you are saying, but personally I like the functional look of visible screws, so that's a design choice. With regards to color, that is a trick of the light I think. The drivers are from the same manufacturer and are the exact same color.

With the grille on below. Note that this is not the original stand, so the black line below the speaker is not there on the actual stands (it rests on a thin steel panel that is invisible from the front). I have not yet decided if the stands should also be white or not. Instinctively that would make sense, but white stands would be a lot more visible, so I am not sure yet.

1713443873488.png

OutlandAsh

"Recessed treble"? Certainly not a term I would ever use to characterize them after my audition. I thought they sounded like they had all the even handedness of the 8C, but they sounded like they could breathe more and had way more to give if you demanded it of them. Sorry - dont have an audiophile vocabulary - they just sounded right to me.

Top Bottom