• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef Blade one Meta - How is the sound ?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Went back to the dealer and tried the BOM with different Luxman. You can see the M-10X being demoed, the 595SE on the right and a 509X next to me. He also got a 507Z(close to me, not in the picture) that I did not try. Honestly, I would be happy with any of these amps with the BOM. But I can see a pair of M-10X being my end game amps.
View attachment 227462

That room looks really naked and tiny for such speakers to be honest.

MAB

Major Contributor
In the house...unpacking and doing 300 hr speaker burn in...
Like this???;)
1662304999021.jpeg

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
How close would you get to to the blade
1or 2 with a Genelec 8361+ subs?

sifi36

How close would you get to to the blade
1or 2 with a Genelec 8361+ subs?

Both companies share fundamentally the same design goals in that they target a flat anechoic response and smoothly dropping dispersion per the research. Of late, KEF speakers seem to prioritise a flatter predicted in-room response over ruler flat on-axis.

One can compare the ASR measure of the 8361A and the KEF data for the Blade 1 using @pierre’s fantastic site here. I’m not smart enough to draw conclusions from the minor differences the graphs show, though the KEF seem to have a steeper downward slope to the estimated in-room response FWIW, with a stronger response below 100Hz.

I would caveat this by saying that the KEF data generally undersells(!) their on-axis response. Comparing KEF’s data with Erin’s Klippel measure for the Reference 1 Meta on the same site here, shows a much smoother and less sloped on-axis response on the NFS. Erin stated that the Reference 1 Meta has the smoothest PIR of any speaker he’s measured to date. For another data point here’s Stereophile’s quasi-anechoic measure of the Blade Two (lacks resolution below 300Hz due to method)

46AE1288-E389-4CBC-8CB6-3D41C99ED156.jpeg

In conclusion I have no idea, but maybe the data (if previously unseen) helps.

StyxRogan

Nobody rock the Blade One Metas hard than The warning!

Attachments

• The Warning Evolve.jpg
    The Warning Evolve.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 241

hege

Forum Donor
Tested out Two Metas at local demo for an hour. Rock, metal, bass and stuff around 100dBZ (avg, slow).

Sadly acoustics are always worse than at home, and of course no DSP is used, so bass was all over and imaging maybe a bit vague. So hard to say anything definite. But a big plus for not being fatiguing or harsh in any way.

Auditions like these make me appreciate my current damped and super clean bass setup much more... and keep me fantasizing about the awesome 1235A demo from before..

blade.jpg

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
I usually find flat measuring speakers dull and lifeless. What will bring some life into them is superior resolution and there are speaker/amplifier combinations that pulls more out of a recording than we're used to. The Blades are this type of speaker as I expect the meta's are. Kef appears to have engineered every detail to maximize performance and now I just wish they(like every other manufacturer) would get more specific on placement to maximize performance.

Reactions: ENG

steve59

Major Contributor
I just went back and read the op which asks how the blade 1 sounds. Soundstage is large with more depth to image placement than i'm used to, but when I say depth I actually mean layers to image placement that is unique to these speakers. Bass is full and addicting without overpowering my 3500 cu/ft room. My previous pair was the persona 7f that had a very precise image for singers and instruments, miniature and intimate if not realistic it was impressive. The Blades present a large stable image that would more resemble an outdoor concert, Placement is important to getting the blades to show off everything they can do. As to the blade 2 being better? Kef states the blade 2 is identical to the blade 1 with a smaller cabinet and woofers for smaller rooms.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just looked at the FR of the different drivers and looks like the woofers are mainly tuned for bass below 60Hz.

If you would set the usual 80 Hz 24dB/oct highpass filter, would the woofers even do anything?
Even a 60Hz HP filter would make those side woofers pretty useless or am I getting something wrong about this?

index.php

Edit: I misread that graph. Red is the port and not the woofers.
But in the case of the blade 2, would a highpass filter even be needed with that early bass roll off (if the ports are plugged)?

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just looked at the FR of the different drivers and looks like the woofers are mainly tuned for bass below 60Hz.

If you would set the usual 80 Hz 24dB/oct highpass filter, would the woofers even do anything?
Even a 60Hz HP filter would make those side woofers pretty useless or am I getting something wrong about this?

index.php
What is the source of this chart?

juliangst

juliangst

Completly agree with that.
I was just too lazy to get the link for the graph because it was already posted on page 1 in this 3 page long thread

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 225237
Kef Blade one Meta seems to be a loudspeaker where they have thought of everything .

The crossover frequency for the uni - Q driver seems to be set at 350 Hz . The baffle is about 36 cm wide .

Using the formula by Troelsgravesen for baffle stepcorrection 11600/36 = 322 Hz , this means they have thought of having a wide enough baffle to go down almost to the rooms transition frequency , without using any eq. This is only one of many factors Kef have thought about .
Maybe some of you have heard the Blade 1 ? How did it sound ?

View attachment 225238

Read more here :
They are probably nice speakers. But putting the crossover at the baffle step is a pretty basic idea if you design speakers. In fact, that's where my lower crossover is.

Top Bottom