• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef Blade one Meta - How is the sound ?

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We know the quality is poor, of course, but how does it sound through such linear and revealing speakers like the KEFs and Revels? Is it tolerable?
While older music material on YT is so/so, stuff in the past few years that has been encoded with the Opus 251 is actually reasonably good. So much so that even with good, neutral headphones, finding differences between the YT and a FLAC of the same material is often virtually nil, if not nonexistent perceptually. I'm not super well versed in the compression algorithms, but as far as I can tell for the most part its perceptually transparent with most content if the upload is of good quality. The one place where it can really crater is with dynamic range and things like classical music. If the overall levels are low, there are a lot of audible compression artifacts, which is probably to be expected.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Dont forget the kef subsoofers, the blades are full range with these :)
Kef reference 8b subwoofer
Kef kf92.

sifi36

Dont forget the kef subsoofers, the blades are full range with these :)
Kef reference 8b subwoofer
Kef kf92.

The Reference 8b seems a bit lost in the lineup next to the KF92, it doesn’t seem to perform particularly better. Both could probably do with an update following the release of the KC62 and it’s associated technologies.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
The Reference 8b seems a bit lost in the lineup next to the KF92, it doesn’t seem to perform particularly better. Both could probably do with an update following the release of the KC62 and it’s associated technologies.
They both are excelent, the thing is the KF92 is really expensive and the Reference 8b is even more ?????? Price
The KF92 looks really good in their performance.
In the R3 thread seems to be a guy with Reference 3 and dual KF92 very happy..
index.php

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
and the looks.. i mean is a sides-metal subwoofer, very expensive...
kef_reference8b_side_1_.jpg
I really don't know how a subwoofer can be made to look better. They are boxes, not much you can do about it.

I have a pair of PSW 2500's, at least the wood finish makes them easier to visually integrate. I hope those rounded shapes come back at some point.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I really don't know how a subwoofer can be made to look better. They are boxes, not much you can do about it.

I have a pair of PSW 2500's, at least the wood finish makes them easier to visually integrate. I hope those rounded shapes come back at some point.
But there is a difference between a cute box and an ugly one, these are a cute box at least... i do not like the shape of these PSW, but i like the small form with force cancel woofers with lots of extension. I mean these kf92 can extend really well for its size, very impressive. Much better than i think before i saw these measurements

In the end having mains + subwoofer its a waste of space, if they are small and can extend very low, its a win-win to me

I find these expensive and thats my problem, for example i can get two Rythmik F12 for the money of 1 KF92..

Vacceo

Major Contributor
But there is a difference between a cute box and an ugly one, these are a cute box at least... i do not like the shape of these PSW, but i like the small form with force cancel woofers with lots of extension. I mean these kf92 can extend really well for its size, very impressive. Much better than i think before i saw these measurements

In the end having mains + subwoofer its a waste of space, if they are small and can extend very low, its a win-win to me
The 92 will run circles around the PSW's; I know because the tiny 62 in another room does; so go guess... :D

For aesthetics, it's in the eye of the beholder. I love Perlisten and JL Gotham subs and those are washing machines.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
The 92 will run circles around the PSW's; I know because the tiny 62 in another room does; so go guess... :D

For aesthetics, it's in the eye of the beholder. I love Perlisten and JL Gotham subs and those are washing machines.
you can't compare the tiny 62 vs the KF92.. they measure very different in output and in size, yet the KF92 is still small..
This guy review the KF92 and also the KC62, and he got very impressive by the KF92 output.
He thinks the KF92 is something like a rythmik f15~ or PB16 in extension. wow.
Measurements confirm the crazy extension too.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
That is my point: the 92 does what the 62 does with more SPL. From numbers alone, the 92 is four times the amount of watts than the PSW, it reaches infrasonics and brings more SPL in all the frequencies in roughly the same volume.

I'm not bashing the 92, on the contrary! I wish I could afford it!

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
That is my point: the 92 does what the 62 does with more SPL. From numbers alone, the 92 is four times the amount of watts than the PSW, it reaches infrasonics and brings more SPL in all the frequencies in roughly the same volume.

I'm not bashing the 92, on the contrary! I wish I could afford it!
I don't have any subwoofer, neither had one in my setup... but these no-port and small subwoofer with crazy entension looks awesome, but too expensive... one kf92 cost something like my speakers..

KC62 owners seems to be happy too

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I don't have any subwoofer, neither had one in my setup... but these no-port and small subwoofer with crazy entension looks awesome, but too expensive... one kf92 cost something like my speakers..
I have the PSW's and the KC62. If you don't need a lot of SPL, your room is small and you do not play a lot of content that uses very low frequencies, the 62 is a very nice solution. I got it paired with the LS50 wireless II for a tv/radio/music set in a small living room and the whole set is impressive. I wish I could add Dirac to get the cherry on top.

I agree, a 92 is probably worth as much as all my IQ speakers. I know I'll upgrade the multichannel system, but it will not be soon.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They both are excelent, the thing is the KF92 is really expensive and the Reference 8b is even more ?????? Price
The KF92 looks really good in their performance.
In the R3 thread seems to be a guy with Reference 3 and dual KF92 very happy..
index.php

With sweeps like these, is it generally assumed the sub's volume is at 100%?

this is me

How did a Blade One thread become a graphical discussion of subwoofers?
Have you guys listened the Blade One and feel the need for subwoofers?

Last edited:

this is me

Went back to the dealer and tried the BOM with different Luxman. You can see the M-10X being demoed, the 595SE on the right and a 509X next to me. He also got a 507Z(close to me, not in the picture) that I did not try. Honestly, I would be happy with any of these amps with the BOM. But I can see a pair of M-10X being my end game amps.
AD2FC153-7823-4502-BD39-502E976369E7.jpeg

Battlebeast

you can't compare the tiny 62 vs the KF92.. they measure very different in output and in size, yet the KF92 is still small..
This guy review the KF92 and also the KC62, and he got very impressive by the KF92 output.
He thinks the KF92 is something like a rythmik f15~ or PB16 in extension. wow.
Measurements confirm the crazy extension too.

Big difference between having the same extension and the same output at said extension. Has something to do with physics. ;)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
And still we have people believing top high end audio is 'tuned by ear'.
Yes. By a machine with better ears than us humans. ;)

How did a Blade One thread become a graphical discussion of subwoofers?
Have you guys listened the Blade One and feel the need for subwoofers?
If you like music with a loooot of low frequency sound, it is a good idea even for a Blade. In no small part, due to amp efficiency.

Top Bottom