• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How many people want a 12-channel or 16-channel DAC? And a 7-channel or 12/16-channel power amplifier?

OP

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does it matter if it's not Topping?
As I get it you want 16 channels clean and CHEAP,right?

If you consider that in real life there are threads every week with problems with 2 channel devices,16 is a big responsibility.
Can you imagine frying 16 speakers because of a glitch?

Usually free meals do not exist but one can hope I guess.
Because it is for desktop, I want it to be small, MOTU MK5 is good, but it only supports 5.1.4.
Do you have any recommendations?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Because it is for desktop, I want it to be small, MOTU MK5 is good, but it only supports 5.1.4.
Do you have any recommendations?
If price is not a consideration something like this?

I'm sure there will be more and cheaper than that,it just needs some research.

Ibanez

Universial Audio Apollon X16, if cost if out of the subject. I would have chosen that one. But it is only Thunderbolt. Or two Marian Seraph 8 Mk2 XLR soundcards, they have two versions, one with balanced XLR and one with trs out, then you have 16 i/o if you go that route.

Ibanez

Lynx Aurora 16 i/o, no monitor i/o, no aes i/o, no mic preamp.
Then usb is a aviable.
$4,199

Ibanez

And not so new but still aviable, what I know, digigram vx1222e, 12 channel out xlr pcie card.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just looking at the tech specifications of MOTU 16A.

In spec-wise, it looks very nice as more than 8-Ch multichannel DAC; even with USB 2.0, it supports up to 24 in/out in 176.4 to 192 kHz, superb audio quality of balanced TRS outputs produce 123 dB dynamic range and -110 dB THD+N (0.0003%) at -1 dBFS, Unweighted, 1 kHz.

I am presently considering a possible alternative (or additional) to my OKTO DAC8PRO; I will need at least 14-Ch (definitely 10-Ch plus aux. 4-Ch) in 96 kHz 24 bit and 192 kHz 24 bit, through USB 2.0 (or USB 3.0) to be fed from my Windows 11 Pro PC running DSP(XO/EQ/delay) "EKIO".

Has anyone here actually use/try MOTU 16A in HiFi multichannel audio setup?

SDC

16ch DAC no, 16ch power amp yes please. but pa5 pa7 level multichannel power amp won't do it for me. need powerful low ohm driving beast.

And yes yes I tried 16ch dac with audio interface and adat output. But no atmos, just dd+ it is waste of money.

Buy fusion plate amp for fir iir diy speakers. Much better IMO.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
16ch DAC no, 16ch power amp yes please. but pa5 pa7 level multichannel power amp won't do it for me. need powerful low ohm driving beast.

And yes yes I tried 16ch dac with audio interface and adat output. But no atmos, just dd+ it is waste of money.

Buy fusion plate amp for fir iir diy speakers. Much better IMO.

Thank you for your input.

In my case, I stick to "right person in right place" policy/approach in amplifier selection as you may find my latest system setup here and here.
Also please find here for the summary of my long and intensive amplifier exploration journey.

Currently I use DAC8PRO quite nicely for L&R sub-woofers (CH1+CH2), woofers (CH3+CH4), midrange (CH5+CH6) and tweeter+super-tweeter (CH7+CH8).
My sub-woofers has built-in powerful amp in it, and I already have four amps dedicately driving woofer, midrange, tweeter and super-tweeter.

Consequently, what I would like to achieve in the near future would be jkust to drive separately in digital domain for tweeter by CH7+CH8 and super-tweeter by CH9+CH10 and would feed these 10-CH into 10-CH capable multichannel DAC, like MOTU 16A.

In the long-span future, I may consider expanding my system with more SP drivers for any kind of surround system where I will need additional DAC channels and amplifiers (again "right person in right place", in reasonable cost!); even in consideration of such future expansion, I believe 16-CH in 96 kHz 24 bit would be more than enough.;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Outside of existing avrs/pre-pro offerings, not so much.

SDC

Thank you for your input.

In my case, I stick to "right person in right place" policy/approach in amplifier selection as you may find my latest system setup here and here.
Also please find here for the summary of my long and intensive amplifier exploration journey.

Currently I use DAC8PRO quite nicely for L&R sub-woofers (CH1+CH2), woofers (CH3+CH4), midrange (CH5+CH6) and tweeter+super-tweeter (CH7+CH8).
My sub-woofers has built-in powerful amp in it, and I already have four amps dedicately driving woofer, midrange, tweeter and super-tweeter.

Consequently, what I would like to achieve in the near future would be jkust to drive separately in digital domain for tweeter by CH7+CH8 and super-tweeter by CH9+CH10 and would feed these 10-CH into 10-CH capable multichannel DAC, like MOTU 16A.

In the long-span future, I may consider expanding my system with more SP drivers for any kind of surround system where I will need additional DAC channels and amplifiers (again "right person in right place", in reasonable cost!); even in consideration of such future expansion, I believe 16-CH in 96 kHz 24 bit would be more than enough.;)

IMG_1350.jpeg

I daisy chained two fusion plate amp per channel for 5ch speaker with tweeter-midhigh-mid-woofer-subwoofer. for tweeter and super tweeter it is easy 6ch with two 503 per channel. Just my two cents...

using PC as main dsp sure works but I like dedicated ones... easy to integrate to other systems.

BTW, Hypex control software is sure a PITA... AL and stuffs like it is easier way to go...

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I can think of only 3 types of consumer who needs so many DAC channels:

1. People who have recording studios at home
2. Surround sound guys with a lot of surround speakers
3. DIY'ers who are trying to make their own Kii 3's or using DSP to shape the radiation pattern with multiple drivers

I have an 8 channel DAC which I use to control two 3-way speakers and two subs. I am thinking of adding a 3rd sub just to smoothen the bass out in my rather large room. If I do that, I will need another DAC channel.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If price is not a consideration something like this?

I'm sure there will be more and cheaper than that,it just needs some research.
The Anubis will not do 12 channels without additional hardware.

I just bought a Merging Technologies HAPI II with 16 DACs (as well as 8 channels of DIO).
Power amps are various.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought a Merging Technologies HAPI II with 16 DACs (as well as 8 channels of DIO).

Thank you for this interesting information.

https://www.merging.com/products/interfaces/hapi

It is available also in Japan through seceral dealers with warranty and supports.

Did you buy two of the digital->analog option board?
Which one, DA8 (Standard): 44.1~192kHz or DA8P (Premium): 44.1~384kHz, DXD, DSD64/128/256?

Looks it supports 8-Ch AES/EBU I/O and also 8-Ch ADAT I/O, as well as ASIO and VAD.
Which I/O routing are you using from your PC into HAPI II?
Do the dedicated ASIO driver provide 16-Ch ASIO routing channels for any DSP software within PC?

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello again @Kal Rubinson,

You would please let us know here when you would publish your review article (in Stereofile?) on Merging Technologies HAPI II with 16 DACs.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hello again @Kal Rubinson,

You would please let us know here when you would publish your review article (in Stereofile?) on Merging Technologies HAPI II with 16 DACs.
Although it is possible, I am not sure there will be a published article/review of the HAPI II. I purchased it for personal use.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you checked this?
  • One Channel 8Ω: 200W (1kHz, 0,1% < THD+N)
  • One Channel 4Ω: 400W (1kHz, 0,1% < THD+N)
  • One Channel Bridged 8Ω: 800W (1kHz, 0,1% < THD+N)
  • One Channel Bridged 4Ω: 1000W (1kHz, 0,1% < THD+N)
  • Total Output Power (120 VAC): 2800W all channels driven SE or BTL
  • Total Output Power (230 VAC): 3200W all channels driven SE or BTL
  • Peak Power: 6080W all channels driven SE or BTL

I am very happy with it.

Reactions: SDC
Top Bottom