• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to add Dirac Bass Control to existing 2 channel system, thinking to add a second DAC for Subs. Can I, and how?

Toxmarz

Currently have Dirac Room Correction with RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE, passive stereo speakers with single active subwoofer. I use the RME DAC because it has the RIAA equalization and analog inputs. I can hook my turntable to the system easily, don't need a standalone phono pre-amp and can run it through the room correction. I know I could easily use something like the Okto Research 8 Pro or Topping DM7 Pro and ditch the turntable input, but I really like the set up I have and can't find anything to simply replicate it and be able to get the extra 2 channels to give Bass Control a try. The simplest idea I have is if I can get second DAC for the subwoofer channels and make it work correctly with existing system. I see people talking about some Motu product and RME Fireface and Babyface and it seems like they are talking about this type of thing, but I really don't understand what those are and how they would be used. Anyone have an idea if what I'm wanting to do is reasonably possible.

On Edit: Forgot, I am wanting to add a second subwoofer if that wasn't clear above

staticV3

Master Contributor
The ADI-2/4 Pro SE has four Line outputs, so should work just fine for a 2.2 system, without the need for a second DAC.

Last edited:
OP
T

Toxmarz

It was my understanding the second 2 outputs mirror the first two, it's not four separate channels which is what you would need for the Dirac Bass Control

staticV3

Master Contributor
It was my understanding the second 2 outputs mirror the first two, it's not four separate channels which is what you would need for the Dirac Bass Control
See pages 42-43 of the user manual.

In Stereo mode, Line out 3&4 mirror 1&2.

In 6/8 channel mode, all four Line outs are individually addressable via USB:
Screenshot_20240222-233247_Drive.png

Last edited:

droid2000

Hmm, ok I'll see if I can figure that out, thanks!

It sounds like your RME will support four separate channels, which is great news since DLBC will be able to handle each speaker independently as required. But remember that the DLBC processor is upstream of the RME. So any inputs to the RME, like your turntable, will be bypassing DLBC. The inputs have to be to Dirac, not the RME.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It sounds like your RME will support four separate channels, which is great news since DLBC will be able to handle each speaker independently as required. But remember that the DLBC processor is upstream of the RME. So any inputs to the RME, like your turntable, will be bypassing DLBC. The inputs have to be to Dirac, not the RME.
In multichannel USB mode, OP should be able to do Phono RME Line in->RME RIAA EQ->USB->PC->DLBC->USB->RME Line out 1-4.

droid2000

In multichannel USB mode, OP should be able to do Phono RME Line in->RME RIAA EQ->USB->PC->DLBC->USB->RME Line out 1-4.

That sounds like the magic sauce OP needs to pull this all together.

I have the non-pro version of the RME DAC. Is there a way I could loop back like this for my TV connected via optical to the RME?

staticV3

Master Contributor
That sounds like the magic sauce OP needs to pull this all together.

I have the non-pro version of the RME DAC. Is there a way I could loop back like this for my TV connected via optical to the RME?
Should work for music. For movies or shows I'd be concerned about lip sync issues.
Screenshot_20240223-000939_Drive.png

A miniDSP or AVR would make more sense then.

Top Bottom