• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Celebrating Musical Instrument: Cello

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello everyone. I thought it would be fun to discuss music where an instrument plays a central role. In this case, I am picking Cello. Something about it makes it different and unusual for me compared to other string instruments. Moreso, there are some modern usage of it that I don't usually associate with it. So here it goes.

Instead of a solo Cello, how about a full ensemble of it? And one of the most famous compositions for Cello: Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1: Prelude.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is a duo called Brooklyn Duo (Cello and Piano), this time at Carnegie Hall, playing the cover of Take On Me (band a-ha) with Ensemble Connect. Beautifully shot:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is the theme to TV series, "Stranger Things" delightfully as performed by Nicholas Yee (center) accompanied by Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein. When I first watched this, I thought they were not really playing as at times I heard music with none of them playing it. The explanation is in the notes:

"Edit (December 21, 2016): All sounds in this video were made using a cello. There are actually eight cello parts in addition to percussive sounds which were also made using a cello. Apparently some people seem to be quite offended that these additional parts and percussion are not shown physically in the video so I thought I would explain. Anyway, thanks for watching!"

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
A guy I worked with went to school with Yo-Yo Ma. He (Mr. Ma) came to town last year but the tickets were so expensive (~$200 each) that we didn't go. :(

For something different, here's one of our own:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I better post some classical music before I get shot by fans of that genre. :D From one of my two top classical composers, Vivaldi: Cello sonatas RV40/42/46 - Roel Dieltiens (1991)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Bach's music is inseparable from Cello but finding which one to post is a challenge among millions. So I thought I go with this presentation by French musician, Ophélie Gaillard, due nice visuals: Prelude, Cello suite n. 1

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You can play the cello with 5 guys

Wow, that is crazy and adorable at the same time. I had seen this done with guitar but not cello! Thanks for posting it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My favourite performer and concerto, here with her husband conducting, though I prefer her recording with Barbirolli but there is no video.
The fluidity and emotion transcend the poor audio (and video) fidelity!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have a album by apocalyptica that's full of tings like this .., ( hope it relates)
I must stay, at first I avoided this video thinking it would be hard rock or metal. Did not at all expect such a soft track and freshness of the approach. I think this is the first instance of seeing a shirt-less guy playing the Cello. :)

Top Bottom