• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Celebrating Musical Instrument: Cello

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Improvisation

I will admit that I don't remember hearing anyone exciting the harmonics (0:25) by bowing so closely to the bridge before.

The Smokester

Screenshot_20170729-161602.jpg

I think that Bach's Cello Suites must be to the cello as his Toccata and Fugue in D-Minor is to the pipe organ.

All the cello biggies have super duper recordings of this (Yo-Yo Ma, Rostropovich, ...)

Here's a superb rendition and classic recording by Janos Starker but only try this if your system is top notch otherwise it will sound too "steely". :D

All the recordings by Starker I have heard are great.

The Smokester

Screenshot_20170729-162607.jpg

Then there's this famous recording of Elgar's Cello Concerto in E-Minor by Jacqueline Du Pré, Barbirolli conducting the LSO, mentioned earlier. I have the EMI CD version and have listened to the Tidal version and they both distort the loudest parts. The HDTracks 24/96 download does a better job in this regard.

Du Pré was an acclaimed British protegy who married famous Argentina-born pianist and conductor Daniel Barenboim. Theirs was a musically rich, but tempestuous, marriage until she contracted multiple sclerosis. She stopped performing in her late twenties and tragically died in 1987 at 42 years old. Her life was docu-drama'd in the somewhat contentious film "Hilary and Jackie" available on Amazon Video (at least in the USA).

fas42

Major Contributor
Then there's this famous recording of Elgar's Cello Concerto in E-Minor by Jacqueline Du Pré, Barbirolli conducting the LSO, mentioned earlier. I have the EMI CD version and have listened to the Tidal version and they both distort the loudest parts. The HDTracks 24/96 download does a better job in this regard.
I have that EMI CD too, but haven't noted any problems - could you give me a track time where this happens for you; I would be curious to see if I can pick a similar issue here.

Thanks!

fas42

Major Contributor
I must stay, at first I avoided this video thinking it would be hard rock or metal. Did not at all expect such a soft track and freshness of the approach. I think this is the first instance of seeing a shirt-less guy playing the Cello. :)
I can do better than this ...

The Smokester

I have that EMI CD too, but haven't noted any problems - could you give me a track time where this happens for you; I would be curious to see if I can pick a similar issue here.

Thanks!
OK. I can't duplicate exactly the.problem because I deleted the low rez rips from my high end player and put the CD in storage. And, the hi end player can't play Tidal tonight because the marina wifi is incompatible. But, from memory, the very dynamic crescendo in the first ten seconds of the second movement (II. Lento-Allegro molto) is one such culprit.

Top Bottom