• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Celebrating Musical Instrument: Cello

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I must stay, at first I avoided this video thinking it would be hard rock or metal. Did not at all expect such a soft track and freshness of the approach. I think this is the first instance of seeing a shirt-less guy playing the Cello. :)
Blinded by faulty assumptions and bias :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Another feast for the eye and ears. Cello is playing a supporting role but I thought I cheat and post it anyway. :)

David Guetta ft. Sia - She Wolf violin instrumental cover by Aristo String Quartet

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Another great combo of music and visuals, this time with backdrop of gorgeous Scottish landscape, castle and drums by The Piano Guys: This is Your Fight Song (Rachel Platten Scottish Cover)

Old Listener

In my opinion, the Dvorak Cello Concerto is the best concerto for cello and this is the performance that I prefer by a wide margin. Fournier/Szell/ Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra from a DG CD.

After hearing the Dvorak Cello Concerto, Brahms composed the Double Concerto for Violin and Cello. A modern recording by Julia Fischer (violin) and Daniel Müller-Schott (cello)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bach's music is inseparable from Cello but finding which one to post is a challenge among millions. So I thought I go with this presentation by French musician, Ophélie Gaillard, due nice visuals: Prelude, Cello suite n. 1

Lovely. Interesting though that she is playing it like a viola da gamba, ie without the spike - never seen that before and I have been to hear the Bach cello suites dozens of times.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I better post some classical music before I get shot by fans of that genre. :D From one of my two top classical composers, Vivaldi: Cello sonatas RV40/42/46 - Roel Dieltiens (1991)

this is one of my most played pieces of music!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my opinion, the Dvorak Cello Concerto is the best concerto for cello and this is the performance that I prefer by a wide margin. Fournier/Szell/ Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra from a DG CD.

After hearing the Dvorak Cello Concerto, Brahms composed the Double Concerto for Violin and Cello. A modern recording by Julia Fischer (violin) and Daniel Müller-Schott (cello)

I hadn't heard the Fournier recording. Lovely. The Brahms double is a favourite of mine, I am most familiar with the Rostropovitch/David Oisterak recording which I have been playing for over 40 years.

Old Listener

I hadn't heard the Fournier recording. Lovely. The Brahms double is a favourite of mine, I am most familiar with the Rostropovitch/David Oisterak recording which I have been playing for over 40 years.

Are you referring to the EMI recording with Szell or one with Kondrashin?

Oistrakh / Rostropovich /Szell /Cleveland Orchestra was my favorite recording in pre-CD days. It did not come out on CD for some time so I got the Francescatti / Fournier /Walter /Columbia SO recording and loved that one too. The Daniel Müller-Schott recording is another favorite now.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you referring to the EMI recording with Szell or one with Kondrashin?

Oistrakh / Rostropovich /Szell /Cleveland Orchestra was my favorite recording in pre-CD days. It did not come out on CD for some time so I got the Francescatti / Fournier /Walter /Columbia SO recording and loved that one too. The Daniel Müller-Schott recording is another favorite now.
Szell, in LP boxed set with the violin concerto. On CD I have Mutter/Meneses and Perlman/Rostropovitch.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom