• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like Doug DeMuro shares my view on its limited range, it’s the first thing he goes on about. An EV costing well over $30,000 with a range of around 100 miles, limiting its appeal to extremely short journeys a marketing puzzle.
Big, slow and with very limited range does seem like an interesting choice. Just a bad car. Plenty of better ones.

I'm certainly not suggesting just being an EV means it's a good car. Just like every other type of car - some will be good, some bad, most will be ok.

As Legacy Manufacturers scramble to come to market with hastily-conceived EV offerings, there's going to be more than the usual percentage of bad cars in the mix.

Just because the range is low does not necessarily make it a bad car; just because the range is adequate does not necessarily make it a good one.

My personal favourite here in the Netherlands is the Volkswagen ID3, if only for its good looks. The styling reminds me of Giugiaro's iconic first Golf, and it promises to be an equally strategic model for the company. The biggest battery option has a 550 km range (measured in the official somewhat optimistic way). Volkswagen is well on its way to become the biggest player in the European EV market.

My personal favourite here in the Netherlands is the Volkswagen ID3, if only for its good looks. The styling reminds me of Giugiaro's iconic first Golf, and it promises to be an equally strategic model for the company. The biggest battery option has a 550 km range (measured in the official somewhat optimistic way). Volkswagen is well on its way to become the biggest player in the European EV market.
Alas, VW didn't import the ID.3 to the USA. We would have bought one by now.

Alas, VW didn't import the ID.3 to the USA. We would have bought one by now.
I think what we saw first from the legacy manufacturers (apart from a few exceptions) were EV versions of current models (e.g the Golf E). These were generally disappointing. The new EVs designed from the ground up on dedicated platforms seem to be much, much better. I'd happily own an ID.3 or ID.4

The thing that put me off the ID3 was the low rent interior given that it is not an especially cheap car. Nice style, practical and excellent specifications but it felt very cheap inside.

The thing that put me off the MX30 is the suicide rear doors and lack of rear seat practicality, which is a bit of a failing in a car like that. I did like the interior though and I thought it drove well enough, performance was fine.

Christian Lindner the German Finance Minister has said Germany will continue building vehicles with internal combustion engines after the EU’s 2035 cut off date. If suicide doors don’t do It for you take a look at the upcoming Smart Car EV.

Last edited:
I am carless now and actually pretty happy about it. Owning a car in Singapore is ridiculously expensive and I can't see the point in a city state with world class public transport. If we go a bit heavy on the shopping or need to go to the airport taxis are pretty cheap.

I find the Teslas (and everyone else) zoom away from me from a stoplight.

But once on the freeway, I can't remember one passing me (except in congestion), though I see them poking along regularly outside my passenger window.

Is it the Autopilot obeying the speed limit or Range concerns?

But once on the freeway, I can't remember one passing me (except in congestion), though I see them poking along regularly outside my passenger window.

For me it's generally setting the adaptive cruise control. I don't have Autopilot - the trial terrified me.

In the six years I was driving 4 - 4.5 hours every Friday afternoon and back the other way Sunday afternoon, I was continually blown off the road by Prius drivers running 15-20+ mph over the limit. In the last 2 or so years you can add Teslas to that list. I stuck to the 5-7 mph over the limit. Just had to shake my head.

No autopilot lets you set the speed I think to 85 mph (and that may have been updated). I seem to recall at one time on non-interstates it was 5 mph or 15 mph over marked limits or some such. What I've found using adaptive cruise and more so the Tesla auto-pilot is letting the car handle the speed I'm a bit more relaxed and happy to just go along around whatever the median speed of traffic. If I am doing all that I'm more likely to keep repositioning and try to get a little ahead of the traffic.

They also gave us one of the biggest mass murderers in history, Joseph Stalin although to be fair he was Georgian. Think German stretched supply lines did most of the work for them. On the way to Pushkin went to the monument in St. Petersburg where the German advance was halted. One man who stood up to Stalin and lived to tell the tale was the Director of the Hermitage. When Stalin ordered the destruction of the Hermitage’s modern art collection the Director refused and put them into storage. Should add him to your list of great Russians.

Electronic shifting on bicycles is a solution looking for a problem, and in the meantime creating a few other problems. I've never had an issue with bowden-cable-driven derailleurs, indexed or not, that 1.2 seconds of fine adjustment of the cable stop threaded collar couldn't fix, without getting off the bike or even coming to a stop. And that's assuming the derailleur was out of adjustment in the first place, and that simply doesn't happen to me.

But dead batteries are the bane of my existence.

Rick "thinking this is driven solely by commercial BS" Denney

Electronic shifting on bicycles is a solution looking for a problem, and in the meantime creating a few other problems. I've never had an issue with bowden-cable-driven derailleurs, indexed or not, that 1.2 seconds of fine adjustment of the cable stop threaded collar couldn't fix, without getting off the bike or even coming to a stop. And that's assuming the derailleur was out of adjustment in the first place, and that simply doesn't happen to me.

But dead batteries are the bane of my existence.

Rick "thinking this is driven solely by commercial BS" Denney
A solution to a problem that didn’t exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom