• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

You can’t defy the laws of physics

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It was really off putting for rear surrounds - no sense of envelopment at all.
I don't doubt it -- I am just wondering why. The size of the drivers and the cubes ought to have worked in favor of good dispersion within their (limited) passband (I would have thought).

EDIT: Oh, and in terms of the LF performance -- I'll take any excuse to (re)quote the redoubtable iconoclast Col. Paul Wilbur Klipsch :)

They make miniature tubes and miniature loudspeakers, but they have yet to come up with a miniature 32-foot wavelength.
source:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, for your defense, they look cute.
you can’t defy physics - not even in the interest of aesthetics.
Of course you can. Laws of physics are man made. I think what you mean is that we can not defy the laws of nature, which is probably true, assuming nature has laws.

Digby

Major Contributor
speaking of the laws of physics -- I wonder why the adorable little cubes were beamy?
Probably a full range driver with whizzer cone, they always start to beam at high frequencies.

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
Well, for your defense, they look cute.

Of course you can. Laws of physics are man made. I think what you mean is that we can not defy the laws of nature, which is probably true, assuming nature has laws.
They are certainly cute - expensive paper weights maybe !! It’s interesting that I just typed that phrase about laws of physics without any great thought.

I found this on a philosophy forum which is a whole different debate I guess .

“Basically, a law of physics is a law of nature of the sort that a physicist would study. This is a large subset of the laws of nature and so gives many situations where they would be interchangeable.”

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eh?

Discovered maybe, but certainly not manmade. E.g. We don’t decide the wavelength of a 20 Hz soundwave in air
I always enjoy a debate on epistemology of science, but I think we will upset admins and other forum goers if we go into that here and now. It was a half tongue in cheek comment anyway, so lets agree to continue this debate another time if that is alright with you.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“Basically, a law of physics is a law of nature of the sort that a physicist would study. This is a large subset of the laws of nature and so gives many situations where they would be interchangeable.”
It was a half tongue in cheek comment, if such a thing exists, merely to remark upon to the fact that what makes science science and not religion is its falsifiability, so when we say laws of physics can not be defied, we are actually conflicting with the process of science itself. Or put in another way, what physicists do (hopefully) all day is to find ways to defy the laws of physics with better laws of physics, like Newton did with Aristoteles's laws, and Einstein did with Newton's and so on.

Last edited:

Penelinfi

Maybe those monoprice coaxial surrounds if you can make them white

Top Bottom