• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha A-S501 or IOTAVX SA3? or what...? haha!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Chrispy Yamahas cope good with that (as they are let to push more power than what's declared with higher distortion of course), they aren't great with low imperfect loads (disreging if they have 4 Ohms switch or not). A-S701 is up to 130 W RMS @ 8 Ohms and very nice amp.
Not impressed by that series of Yamaha integrated amp at all. Amp sections are like their avrs, so not really anything to write home about.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Not impressed by that series of Yamaha integrated amp at all. Amp sections are like their avrs, so not really anything to write home about.
And I am not impressed with cheap (components) bad implemented (regarding protection and longevity) class D with voltage pump one's.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And I am not impressed with cheap (components) bad implemented (regarding protection and longevity) class D with voltage pump one's.
What does that mean? The world has too many wimpy integrated amps masquerading as audiophile solutions....

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
What does that mean? The world has too many wimpy integrated amps masquerading as audiophile solutions....
Bare bone audiophile SoM - SoC based one's sacrificing even elementary protection implementations in order to measure better and at best half verified designs from small firms with little to no reputation which arguably most of them are in this age compared to polished and squashed one's for last 50 years which perform rather good and are made with quality parts and from responsabe companies with lot's of useful futures like great digital volume controls, tone controls and equal loudness one's not to mention good DAC integration and decent phono preamp in this case with which you are not impressed. I guess we are impressed with very different things.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bare bone audiophile SoM - SoC based one's sacrificing even elementary protection implementations in order to measure better and at best half verified designs from small firms with little to no reputation which arguably most of them are in this age compared to polished and squashed one's for last 50 years which perform rather good and are made with quality parts and from responsabe companies with lot's of useful futures like great digital volume controls, tone controls and equal loudness one's not to mention good DAC integration and decent phono preamp in this case with which you are not impressed. I guess we are impressed with very different things.
Still have no idea what that word salad means. Integrated amps are not special in any way.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Still have no idea what that word salad means. Integrated amps are not special in any way.
I definitely don't know what you are referring to. Only one used word salad is you and perhaps it means you are in the mood for a light meal because you're on a diet. Care to explain?
Amplifier is a amplifier and if some of these functions which I would call good and more than handy make them integrated amplifier so be it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I definitely don't know what you are referring to. Only one used word salad is you and perhaps it means you are in the mood for a light meal because you're on a diet. Care to explain?
Amplifier is a amplifier and if some of these functions which I would call good and more than handy make them integrated amplifier so be it.
LOL we're just not seeing eye to eye. Your translation is probably part of it.

OP
S

SUMAJU

Well, finally thanks to everyone's help, but mainly from the giant Zolalll, I have put together my first HIFI equipment, which I hope will be with me for some years...

• Yamaha a-s701
  • ELAC DBR62
  • WiiM Mini

I am very happy. I haven't received the products yet, only the ELACs, but I will upload a picture later, once everything is assembled and working.
Thank you all very much! you are very kind and have helped me a lot! ;)

maty

Major Contributor
STOP in the name of love :p

From December 2023 2022 I have an hybrid integrated: Magnat MA 900. The silver version costs €900 on Amazon Germany.

Very good specs and measurements. And very good sound now.

I want to write a long thread on my twitter account this weekend.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor

Attachments

• Magnat MA 900 inside.png
    Magnat MA 900 inside.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 71
  • magnat-ma-900-vollverstaerker-64455.jpg
    magnat-ma-900-vollverstaerker-64455.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 58

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@maty a bit erratic 4 Ohms load behaviour, some high frequency noise, fragile low life expectations tube buffer stage and considerably more expensive.
This is Yamaha A-S 701:
Only DAC differs.
And this is dissection:
Who beats their reliability will go in history.
I wanted him to get Yamaha with equal loudness normalisation controls to be exact.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Only... 20.000 - 50.000 hours.

Erratic? The first low distorsion is thanks the good implementation of the tubes, more linear than transistors at low voltage.
magnat_ma_900_thdn_vs_power.jpg

For comparison:
image (4).jpeg

Yes a bit erratic (green). Tubes are used only as buffers (5 mV) but they still won't last very long.
Edit: I apologise grean in MA 900 measurement is 8 Ohms load, Yamaha wins anyhow.

Last edited:

Chrise36

Major Contributor
What do you guys think of Onkyo amps:

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, finally thanks to everyone's help, but mainly from the giant Zolalll, I have put together my first HIFI equipment, which I hope will be with me for some years...

• Yamaha a-s701
  • ELAC DBR62
  • WiiM Mini

I am very happy. I haven't received the products yet, only the ELACs, but I will upload a picture later, once everything is assembled and working.
Thank you all very much! you are very kind and have helped me a lot! ;)
I have a similar system, same amp and speakers, but a NAD streamer (dos the same as the Wimm). I've also added a Wharfedale sub to relieve the Elac's of some of the lower bass as I have a big room. There is no issue with the 501 driving the Elacs to 90db (measured at sitting position).

Top Bottom