• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YAMAHA A-S301 or A-S501 for KEF Q100?

A-S301 or A-S501?

• Yamaha A-S301

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Yamaha A-S501

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Other? (please comment)

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

0800 Dub

Doesn't this seem at odds with theory for a 60W v. an 85W amp of the same design? (I'm not doubting your experience, just wondering what's up. Maybe they aren't the same design, maybe they weren't executed quite right, maybe I'm missing something.) After all, a notch up in volume draws 2x the power from the amp.

Did you use identical inputs to the amps in this comparison? Digital or analog inputs to the amp?
Yup, I used the same input on both amps. RCA in. It's possible I changed the position of the volume knob on my USB audio interface but I don't think that's it. Either way, I find the 301 to be sufficient.

I have a very rudimentary understanding of this, but I'm just thinking: if the 501 has a higher max volume then surely that does correspond to having less fine control over the volume as the level increases more rapidly as you move the knob compared to the 301?

chaotic_angel

Hello,
I am having Polk S20 speakers with detail
  • requency response: 39-40,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 88 dB
  • 8-ohm impedance
  • handles up to 125 watts
Should I go only with S301 or S501? I am listening inside 3.5 x 4.5 meters rooms

0800 Dub

Yup, I used the same input on both amps. RCA in. It's possible I changed the position of the volume knob on my USB audio interface but I don't think that's it. Either way, I find the 301 to be sufficient.

I have a very rudimentary understanding of this, but I'm just thinking: if the 501 has a higher max volume then surely that does correspond to having less fine control over the volume as the level increases more rapidly as you move the knob compared to the 301?

Just wanted to clarify that my testing was not done in a sufficiently controlled manner so my claims about the volume control should not be believed until verified and @Dzhaughn is most likely correct. Can't edit my last post so making another one.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The difference between these two amplifiers (the amplifier portion of the receiver) is so insignificant that for intents and purposes they are the same. To the difference into proper perspective, power numbers need to be expressed in decibels, and if the simple calculation is done correctly, the number can be regarded as the decibel value for the difference in sound pressure. The 80 Watt amp is +1.25 dB relative to the 60 Watt amp. This is so small as to be almost within the margin of error, and it is smaller than the difference in perceived sound volume for connecting two different sets of speakers where one of them is 1.25 dB more sensitive than the other. Two different sets of speakers chosen at random will likely differ in sensitivity by at least dB. Note also that in the specs for the two receivers, the distortion rating is identical for both, and taken under identical circumstances for both. For intents and purposes the two amplifiers are identical, and they may well be identical despite the quoted max power being very slightly greater for one vs. the other. Most likely the power supplies are identical, and most likely the +/- DC voltage supplied to the amplifier is the same for both, and most likely everything else in the amplifier is the same for both. I would assume they are the same unless and until someone does a teardown and finds something different, or measures the DC voltage coming out of the power supply and finds them to be different. It is most likely that the extremely minor difference in quoted power rating is the handiwork of product managers and/or marketing, which deemed it essential for there to be a slight difference in power rating, commensurate with the difference in MSRP.

While it is possible that there is a difference in the sensitivity of the two volume controls, I think this is not especially likely. Not saying that it isn't true, only that if it is, I would be a little bit surprised and would say, "Huh."

I like this present line of stereo audio integrated amps by Yamaha. I especially like the variable loudness control. Assuming this control does what it should do, the amount of low-frequency and high-frequency emphasis will vary according to the position of the main volume control, such that the perceived tonal balance should be much the same regardless of whether you are playing it loud or quiet. This is a very practical feature to have in a received, and in my individual opinion the loudness control is a significant advantage of receivers with this control compared to receivers without this control. Loudness controls sort of fell out of favor back in the '80s, and I'm glad to see that Yamaha has brought it back. I also like the aesthetics of these receivers. And very affordable. A lot for the money. If you consider inflation, a receiver that cost about $50 back in the mid '70s would probably cost this much or more today, and you could not buy a half-decent receiver for $50 back then. It seems remarkable that it is possible to buy a receiver like this for this little money.

Congratulations! You made a very wise purchase!

Willem

Major Contributor
A year ago I bought an AS 501 for my daughter. It hardly cost more than the AS301, but also a lot less than the 2x100 watt AS 701, so I decided that financially the AS 501 was the sweet spot in my market, and to have some more power never hurts. I tried it with some inefficient speakers (the Harbeth P3ESR from my study) in a very large room, and it coped well, although in that large room even more power would have been nice (as would be larger speakers).

nalap

I hope it's not bad form to reply to an old thread, but I may be in the market for an amplifier and the Yamaha A-S301 seems to be well-liked. I'm currently using a pair of KLH Albany bookshelf speakers but am interested in a pair of Elac Debut DBR62 for a possible future upgrade. My listening room is only 14x14 and because of close neighbors I listen at mostly low volumes. Is the 301 still a good choice ?

To the OP.... how are you liking your 301 purchase and are you still using it ?

Top Bottom