• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XLR interface on Linux

audiovic

Hi all,

I plan to buy a brand new mic, ultimately with USB and XLR outputs like Audio Technica AT2005USB or Samson Q2U. My current DAC doesn't include an XLR or Jack input, and my Mobo audio interface is crap. Mainly for video-conferencing, and possibly podcasting/streaming. I'd like USB & XLR to be portable with USB but open to connect to an XLR interface too.

I plan to buy an XLR to USB interface, but supported on Linux. I've been recommended Zoom U-22 or Behringer U-Phoria UM2, or Focusrite Scarlett Solo (but a little pricey).

Are there any other devices (< 120$) which are Linux compatible ?

Thanks for you help.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What prevents you from using a USB mic as your budget is extremely tight.

Honken

The Q2U records speech just fine with its built in USB interface, the built in USB interface works fine with Linux as well. I can't imagine that this solution would be a limiting factor in your intended use cases.

If your budget is tight, why not wait with the separate USB interface for later?

OP
audiovic

audiovic

The Q2U records speech just fine with its built in USB interface, the built in USB interface works fine with Linux as well. I can't imagine that this solution would be a limiting factor in your intended use cases.

If your budget is tight, why not wait with the separate USB interface for later?
Yep, thanks for your hint. But I intend to order both in the same shop if possible, to minimize shipping costs.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... I plan to buy a brand new mic, ultimately with USB and XLR outputs like Audio Technica AT2005USB or Samson Q2U. My current DAC doesn't include an XLR or Jack input, and my Mobo audio interface is crap. Mainly for video-conferencing, and possibly podcasting/streaming. I'd like USB & XLR to be portable with USB but open to connect to an XLR interface too.
For your application, it sounds like a simple USB mic should be fine. High quality mics with XLR connectors tend to be condensors that also require phantom power. This gets into the whole mic preamp side of things which would be overkill for your purposes.

Top Bottom