• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

World’s fastest filming FPV drone and how it was built

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite a great engineering project, am sure @Frank Dernie will also like it for a number of reasons.

This is Formula 1 like you’ve never seen it before. The @dutchdronegods follow Max Verstappen’s brand new @redbullracing RB20 F1 car for a full lap of Silverstone’s Grand Prix Circuit. The world first uninterrupted FPV one shot was captured by a manually piloted custom built drone, designed specifically for the challenge of keeping up with the car at speeds of over 300kph.

It took Red Bull and the Dutch Drone Gods over a year to create a drone that can accelerate two times faster than an F1 car, reaching 300 km/h in just 4 seconds with a top speed of over 350 km/h. The development was accelerated by access to know-how and processes of Red Bull Advanced Technologies, a high-performance engineering arm of Oracle Red Bull Racing Formula 1 team and trialled behind the RB8 and RB19 cars driven by @liamlawson30 and David Coulthard.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
FPV drones have come along way. I remember watching this video years back and being instantly hooked on the concept:

Back then most of the gear was makeshift constuctions pieced together from Nintendo Wii chips and what have you.

The speeds were snail pace compared to what we see today, but it still blew my mind.

I came as far as building a tiny practice drone with brushed motors, but spent far more time picking it up from crashes than actually flying. Switched to some of the primitive simulation software available at the time, and then it really dawned on me how steep the learning curve is. And then life got in the way.

Still have my Fat Shark goggles and a box full of 90% of the parts needed for an actual racing drone. I really ought to give it a go again at some point. Probably antiquated technology by now, but if it flies it flies.

Interesting to see that the Red Bull pilot uses and old school analogue (?) video feedback instead of the fancy new digital stuff. I guess at those speeds it's better to have disturbances than drop-outs.

Top Bottom