• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Good Gamay is terribly underrated.

We've been on a Featesca Neagra kick in recent months. This will be the next fashionable variety.

This would surprise me but I wouldn't mind it. I spend a good amount of time in Romania and have drunk loads of Feteasca there. Seems to me to have a pretty low ceiling and small personality. Good value though. Haven't seen the producers you mentioned so will try them if I get the chance.

Hungarian wine, on the other hand, needs a bigger moment than it's seen. Truly a world-class wines from all over, not just Tokaj. Awesome whites both unique and lovable all over Somlo and Badascony, some decent Pinot Noir and native reds from Eger...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This would surprise me but I wouldn't mind it. I spend a good amount of time in Romania and have drunk loads of Feteasca there. Seems to me to have a pretty low ceiling and small personality. Good value though. Haven't seen the producers you mentioned so will try them if I get the chance.

Hungarian wine, on the other hand, needs a bigger moment than it's seen. Truly a world-class wines from all over, not just Tokaj. Awesome whites both unique and lovable all over Somlo and Badascony, some decent Pinot Noir and native reds from Eger...
We have a Romanian buddy who discovers serious small growers. So Feteasca Neagra may have a higher ceiling, but finding the good ones here is not trivial!

This weekend is my wife’s birthday, so we have magnums of some ‘95 Cote-Roties. A remarkably underrated vintage.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
We have a Romanian buddy who discovers serious small growers. So Feteasca Neagra may have a higher ceiling, but finding the good ones here is not trivial!

I suppose that helps. Is he an importer? Would love to see his book and try some good ones. My go-to wine shop in RO is Hungarian so it's been a while since I tried to pick out a nice Feteasca. I usually just drink what friends have.

Enjoy the Cote-Rotie!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I suppose that helps. Is he an importer? Would love to see his book and try some good ones. My go-to wine shop in RO is Hungarian so it's been a while since I tried to pick out a nice Feteasca. I usually just drink what friends have.

Enjoy the Cote-Rotie!
Not an importer but a serious taster. Knows his stuff.

Cote-Rotie is my favorite appellation, the ‘95s are coming around, and these are good ones (Jasmin and Ogier LBH), so I’m optimistic...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been enjoying Chianti - they don't get a lot of respect, and that keeps prices low...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then, there's this:

Fixin label1.jpg

An area of Burgundy in the Cote that gets very low regard. But this is a 2005 and look at the maker.

They took forever to come around but taste great right now.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Then, there's this:

View attachment 108895

An area of Burgundy in the Cote that gets very low regard. But this is a 2005 and look at the maker.

They took forever to come around but taste great right now.
Me too. Chianti is my go to wine. Waifu just got her olfactory perception back after the Rona, so we had Champagne left over from NYE tonight with Pizza. The standard VC, whatever that is. Champagne is my #2 wine. I will have either with just about amything.

Reactions: Wes
OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Me too. Chianti is my go to wine. Waifu just got her olfactory perception back after the Rona, so we had Champagne left over from NYE tonight with Pizza. The standard VC, whatever that is. Champagne is my #2 wine. I will have either with just about amything.
Champagne is tremendously versatile - it pairs with just about anything.

(Same with pizza!)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Centuries before Europeans discovered the tomato, Italians had already created Chianti to go with "red gravy."
Yes! Gravy !

We need a Italian American gravy thread ! And its not Italian as no true Italian puts gravy on pasta!

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used a common term in New Orleans - "red gravy" means tomato sauce. The area was settled by mostly Sicilians but I dunno how that term got started - maybe the French called it that.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
E4A2149B-7D1F-41BC-8921-B55B341C67D4.jpeg

We have to support our friends Down Under!

PaulD

Champagne is tremendously versatile - it pairs with just about anything.
I drink it when I’m happy and when I’m sad.
Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone.
When I have company I consider it obligatory.
I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am.
Otherwise, I never touch it—unless I’m thirsty.
-- Lilly Bolinger

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@SIY how was the Cote-Rotie?

Absolutely wonderful. The Vernay brothers did very minimalist winemaking with superb fruit. It's a pity they sold out, but I understand the economics.

Last night, for my wife's birthday party, we opened '95 Jasmin and '94 Ogier Cote-Roties, both from magnum.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
At the risk of being the object of derision:

Champagne - Gruet, non-vintage, Brut; Produced outside of Albuquerque, New Mexico. Around $20.00

Canernet Sauvignon - Gallo, Reserve by Gina Gallo; any vintage although I liked 2012 best. Around $45.00, compares to some of the best over $150! Sadly, it has been discovered and getting difficult to find.

It annoys me to open a poor bottle of $50.00 wine; the more costly the bottle, the greater the pique.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
'95 Jasmin and '94 Ogier Cote-Roties

Big old mags, love it. Don't know these but will check them out. TBH I haven't had a lot of Cote-Rotie. I have a bottle of '11 Cuilleron but that's it in the cellar - Cornas and various de-classified N. Rhone is where I have usually looked for Syrah. And Condrieu I love.

Had this Mosel Cabernet Sauvignon last night. Vines planted on prime Riesling real estate 25-30 years ago "as a joke". More than a curiosity - loved it.

310445b9-d68e-41f6-9011-2832f149f134-600x394.jpg

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
speaking of Champagne...

A non-blinded taste test on Jan. 20th yielded a clear winner:

Champagnes - La bas de Saran better.jpg

Both are Grand Cru, and 2008 declared vintage, but the La bas de Saran was better.

Top Bottom