• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
IMG_6805.jpeg

Bunch of Eric Texier wines last night. The St-Julien en St-Albans were singing, and the ‘09 Brézème a highlight as well. 2014 Côte-Rôtie was strange and lovely with reduction and a noticeable chunk of Viognier.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some younger wines....we had a tinned fish, duck pate, and Teleme evening. (I really like Veleta tinned fish. The tuna belly is tip top, and the mackeel, of all things, is mild and wonderful.)

IMG_1573-M.jpg

IMG_1591-M.jpg

Both way too young, but they had to stand up to a difficult pairing.

IMG_1593-M.jpg

LeShog

IMG_4540.jpeg
I must say, @GD Fan knows his wine very well! I am going to share with you my glass, I use it with every type of wine with big satisfaction. I believe it’s more practical than having a different glass for every type of wine. This one is a “technical” instrument as it’s the standard glass used by AIS (associazione italiana sommelier), which is the professional category of sommelieres in Italy, to taste everything. It’s a balanced glass, never perfect on anything, but never wrong either. I am happy with it and it makes my life so much easier :)

I put my hand in there just to have a reference as to how big it is. Would’ve liked a golfing panther, but didn’t have one close at hand :p

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
View attachment 340582
Bunch of Eric Texier wines last night. The St-Julien en St-Albans were singing, and the ‘09 Brézème a highlight as well. 2014 Côte-Rôtie was strange and lovely with reduction and a noticeable chunk of Viognier.
I missed this when you posted. Eric is a great winemaker for sure- I've visited him a few times. Brezeme is easily the Greatest Wine Nobody Knows.

Fun trivia: for 2001, both Eric and Steph Ogier got a vat each of bulk wine from Gilles Remiller, a superb grower on Cote Brune. They each did a different elevage, and it's interesting to compare them. And to compare Gilles's version as well. The bulk wine sale was because of a nasty divorce situation and Gilles needed some cash... poor guy, but lucky us.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
I missed this when you posted. Eric is a great winemaker for sure- I've visited him a few times. Brezeme is easily the Greatest Wine Nobody Knows.

Fun trivia: for 2001, both Eric and Steph Ogier got a vat each of bulk wine from Gilles Remiller, a superb grower on Cote Brune. They each did a different elevage, and it's interesting to compare them. And to compare Gilles's version as well. The bulk wine sale was because of a nasty divorce situation and Gilles needed some cash... poor guy, but lucky us.
The 2001 you speak of is labeled Cote Rotie? I will have to track one down.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The 2001 you speak of is labeled Cote Rotie? I will have to track one down.
They're both AOC Cote-Rotie, but I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not remembering how they're labeled- Cote Brune, perhaps?

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Tried a couple new Piedmont wines. Valdaccenda Valmaggiore Rosso - light, deep, vibrant, silky Nebbiolo. And Colombera Timorrasso is definitely worth checking out for fans of Piedmonts second greatest grape.

IMG_7162.jpeg

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Those are all Dressner imports?
Some certainly were, not sure if all of them were.

If so it would have been happenstance in this case - none of us are especially connected in that regard.

GaryY

Forum Donor
2020 was fantastic, tastes like 25~30 euro wine though price was 8~9 euro.
2021...really disappointing ..

Attachments

• 20240302_185327.jpg
    20240302_185327.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 17
OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Pretty impressive lot of wines on Friday at the Vinous event. Here were a couple standouts from 1999 and 2015.

20240301_193233.jpg

The Grand Siecle at the table next door wasn't too shabby either!

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Pretty impressive lot of wines on Friday at the Vinous event. Here were a couple standouts from 1999 and 2015.

View attachment 354062

The Grand Siecle at the table next door wasn't too shabby either!
I attended one of the Icons dinners (thanks to the generosity of a friend). They can be fun, but looking at what they cost, 10 times out of 10 I'd rather do a BYO dinner with my tasting group. I used to go to Festa del Barolo every year, but got kind of tired of spending $1000 to bring my own wine just for the privilege of having a winemaker at my table. I guess you can say I respect how Vinous finds ways to generate revenue, but I'm kind of done with them generating it off of me.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1709568623402.png

If one likes Sauvignon Blanc, this is very good, affordable and accessible everyday driver from New Zealand

Top Bottom