• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The 2000 has a VA problem, sadly.

20210403_191506.jpg

OP
GD Fan

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Thoughts on Pepe wines generally? I've only had tastes. I picked up a mixed vertical case last summer and am looking forward to diving in.
Personally I'm a big fan. They age extraordinary well and develop very well over an evening. If you haven't already, it is very instructive to read up on the place. Their techniques are, well, unique. Expect the potential for lots of bottle variation among the same vintage. Levi Dalton's podcast (I'll Drink to That) interview with the woman who runs it is a great place to start.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Good to hear. Definitely a fan of their methods - can't beat the peace of mind they provide on old bottles. A few years ago I tried the wines (old and young) and met Chiara at a trade event the importer hosted. I liked them but can't know a wine until you've drunk an actual bottle. The 2oz tasting experience doesn't seem fitting for what are supposed to be ultimate table wines.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chianti - and I just bought Matt Kramer's book on Italian Wines too...

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Recently, we drank a bottle of Heitz Cellars 2004 Martha's Vineyard cabernet. As always with vintages of this wine, it was very, very good.

For many years, we'd buy a bottle or two each year and store it. We'd drink it for special occasions. It has been too pricey for us in the last few years.

I picked up a 2014...pricey at 225. Need a couple of hours to open up.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
@SIY thoughts on Cote-Rotie from Chambeyron-Manin? Someone just delivered the hard sell on these, and I haven't had a Cote Rotie in a long time.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@SIY thoughts on Cote-Rotie from Chambeyron-Manin? Someone just delivered the hard sell on these, and I haven't had a Cote Rotie in a long time.
It's very good. Old style-ish Cote Brune.

Sadly, nearly all my favorite producers (Gallet, D et R Vernay, Marius Gentaz, Remillier...) have either retired and sold out to one of the big name houses (Guigal and Chapoutier particularly) or just sell off grapes to negociants. As the kids have taken over the other estates, the wine styles have gotten less idiosyncratic but more... international. It's getting tough to find the Real Deal there.

If you spot any Eric Texier, pounce.

Last edited:

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
It's very good. Old style-ish Cote Brune.

Sadly, nearly all my favorite producers (Gallet, D et R Vernay, Marius Gentaz, Remillier...) have either retired and sold out to one of the big name houses (Guigal and Chapoutier particularly) or just sell off grapes to negociants. As the kids have taken over the other estates, the wine styles have gotten less idiosyncratic but more... international. It's getting tough to find the Real Deal there.

If you spot any Eric Texier, pounce.

Noted, thanks. Might grab a couple bottles. Benetiere is another option but pricier...

I'm a fan of Texier. Only had the Cote Rotie once but have had plenty of the Brezeme and St Julien en St Alban. Sharp guy. Martin makes solid Cotes du Rhone as well.

Trouble Maker

I really can't imagine the kind of money I would need to think that was a good idea. Are many people buying at this level and planning to drink or are the mostly 'investing'?

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Fortunately world class wine need not cost thousands or even $50. Like many Mosel wines, 2019 and 2020 Lauers have been so good. I thought I bought a lot but they're not lasting.

Lauer.jpeg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Fortunately world class wine need not cost thousands or even $50. Like many Mosel wines, 2019 and 2020 Lauers have been so good. I thought I bought a lot but they're not lasting.
Absolutely true. The secret is, of course, looking beyond the glamor appellations.

Top Bottom