• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will an amp upgrade make an audible difference?

Jbrunwa

Ok, I now have my dream LCR speakers: Revel F328Be x 2 and C426 and they sound fantastic. I have an Emotiva XMC-2 processor and a 12 year old B&K Reference 200.5 amp.

The B&K is a high current amp with class A predriver, AB MOSFET outputs 5 x 200W @ 8 ohms, 350W @ 4 ohms, 95 dB SN, .09% THD.

We listen 60% music, and like a variety of music: Classical, jazz, classic rock, acoustic folk. The system sounds really great.

But I wonder since technology has improved over the past decade, Would an amp upgrade from the B&K make an audible improvement? If so what should I consider? Or would the improvement be limited to a lighter wallet?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, I now have my dream LCR speakers: Revel F328Be x 2 and C426 and they sound fantastic. I have an Emotiva XMC-2 processor and a 12 year old B&K Reference 200.5 amp.

The B&K is a high current amp with class A predriver, AB MOSFET outputs 5 x 200W @ 8 ohms, 350W @ 4 ohms, 95 dB SN, .09% THD.

We listen 60% music, and like a variety of music: Classical, jazz, classic rock, acoustic folk. The system sounds really great.

But I wonder since technology has improved over the past decade, Would an amp upgrade from the B&K make an audible improvement? If so what should I consider? Or would the improvement be limited to a lighter wallet?
Chances are very low that an amp upgrade would be audible. Your amp seems to have enough power to not clip at higher SPLs. Keep your money and enjoy the show ... :)

OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

Chances are very low that an amp upgrade would be audible. Your amp seems to have enough power to not clip at higher SPLs. Keep your money and enjoy the show ... :)

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. I’ll focus my upgrades on content and sources so I’ll have more content to enjoy

gonzoucab

Stick to it unless you have money to throw, then get a benchmark AHB2 and compare it just for fun

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wazzat amp weigh? A hunnert pounds?

Lotsa iron backing up a classic design.
You could spend a lot more money and come up short.

May I recommend you consider a new couch, or fresh paint in your entertainment suite, instead?

OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

Wazzat amp weigh? A hunnert pounds?

Lotsa iron backing up a classic design.
You could spend a lot more money and come up short.

May I recommend you consider a new couch, or fresh paint in your entertainment suite, instead?

Nah, it weighs 80 pounds max. :p

Actually we are looking for a new sofa and loveseat, but are finding the quality of furniture has gone downhill over the past decade.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Only if the amp is broken or woefully underpowered.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

For kicks I’d just try something like the Crown XLS 2502 in mono mode with 2000 watts available, THIS may make a difference in large scale transients when driving your woofers.

gonzoucab

Nah, it weighs 80 pounds max. :p

Actually we are looking for a new sofa and loveseat, but are finding the quality of furniture has gone downhill over the past decade.
have you tried Roche Bobois?

OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

Get a nice sub and take the load off the Revels. A new sub would come with a new Amp. One stone two birds! :cool:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have one older 15” sub and 500W Triad amp. But one or two more powered subs might smooth room nulls.

gonzoucab

Thanks for the suggestion. I have one older 15” sub and 500W Triad amp. But one or two more powered subs might smooth room nulls.
SVS pb4000

it amazes me every day

gonzoucab

Now THATS a monster!

Im listening max richter Three worlds: music from woolf works

you can feel the whole house as a ship in the middle of a wreckage .

tonyo123

No, won't make an audible and, likely, testable difference. You are set for life as far as your amp is concerned. Great investment.
PS...we have amps with similar specs: Anthem MCA 5 - 5-Channel Amplifier, 200w @ 8 ohms, 350w @ 4 ohms.

Colin James Wonfor

Technical Expert
The Wonf
For the last few year I have been doing upgrade on Inca Tech Claymore Amps, changing cap and value of caps and bigger diode with a lower Vf, and the old Hitachi/Toshiba FET's with about 1.8R RdsOn for a better FET with a lower Rds about 40mR and not 8A but over 28A.
It started because some old amp (40yrs) had died and wanted to fix them but getting the same output beast was hard or very poor copies.

Now I am also upgrading Magnum Amps, some to be honest poorly made and modified from my original work by the Relph Twat.
And without exception the owner say it is a improvement, so I would first find the dead and dying bits try to find a part that could replace them. In the caps I went from 85C to 105C just a tip. And mini polycarbs on signal paths.

Top Bottom