• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is RME so expensive?

HerbertWest

Also there’s crossfeed and EQ for headphones.
These are super useful for me too. I appreciated seeing how the RME team listened to their customers and added features to the Pro over time, eg “pairing” the volume knob for all 4 out channels at the same time (2.2 system use case). And many more detailed in the manual.

Attachments

• IMG_2646.jpeg
    IMG_2646.jpeg
    596.4 KB · Views: 74

FINFET

Forum Donor
The claim of the thread is definitely true. RME products are expensive. The reason is lack of competition. Antelope, Motu, Focusrite, Apogee, UA etc. none can be as stable, low latency and easy to use on Windows like RME. On board DSP support is one of the disadvantages but with DAW and software plugin being so powerful today, it's not critical.
I am not a fan boy of any manufacturers though. I hope some Chinese audio companies can give some serious push here in pro audio like they did in many other fields. Or companies like Antelope can realize why they should treat old customers nicely.

FINFET

Forum Donor
What did Antelope do?
Not so serious but comparing with RME their support of old products is not quite good. You can't even find many old products listed in their websites easily and get proper support. They tend to iterate new hardwares quickly instead of updating software/firmware to support new features although that is totally possible. Seems they really like to push their customers to get rid of their owned devices and buy new one. Their products are basically fine though, some parts may exceed RME but there's just something I don't quite like about it.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

The claim of the thread is definitely true. RME products are expensive. The reason is lack of competition. Antelope, Motu, Focusrite, Apogee, UA etc. none can be as stable, low latency and easy to use on Windows like RME. On board DSP support is one of the disadvantages but with DAW and software plugin being so powerful today, it's not critical.
I am not a fan boy of any manufacturers though. I hope some Chinese audio companies can give some serious push here in pro audio like they did in many other fields. Or companies like Antelope can realize why they should treat old customers nicely.

We all know it has superior components and technology than the competitors. Just wish it was more affordable lol

For regular joe who ain't recording or mixing for profits, the Motu works just fine, tho would be nice to have the RME

Top Bottom