• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why is it so hard to purchase a Hypex or Purify amp in USA?

walt99

Forum Donor
Multiple inquires with no response outside the USA, and VTV is on holiday shutdown for 3 weeks.
Not willing to pay the high prices for the boutique brands, doesn't seem necessary for these amps and their intended use.
(I'm always afraid if I can't get a hold of a vendor before the sale what will it be like after the sale if I need something.)
No wonder Dylan at Buckeye is swamped, he appears to be the only OEM USA game in town (except for VTV), and he answers emails the same day without fail which I admire.
I just hate to have to wait 6 weeks now for my amp! Seems like there's a great business opportunity out there, I may even start looking into building these myself when it's too cold to work outside. And as I get older, working at the bench again is sounding better compared to crawling around cramped airplanes in the hanger.

OP
walt99

walt99

Forum Donor
Have you looked at the Hypex and Purifi offerings from Audiophonics in France?

JSmith
Yep, one of the vendors that never responded via message or website inquiry.
(website lists item as ‘in stock’ but shipping in March?)
plus I would always prefer to support a USA based business if possible.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's the hot product....has Hypex/Purifi kept up with demand particularly?

OP
walt99

walt99

Forum Donor
NAD C298?
To much. $$ just for surround speakers. The price point for the NC252MP is what I’m looking for to drive surround speakers.
Almost pulled the trigger for a pair of Outlaw 2220’s, but the 252 is cheaper/smaller/cooler and perfect for my mission.

Last edited:

Taiga

I’m in the US. Audiophonics responded to a question I had within hours. I then ordered a Hypex NC502MP amp from them and received it in a few days.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Multiple inquires with no response outside the USA, and VTV is on holiday shutdown for 3 weeks.
Not willing to pay the high prices for the boutique brands, doesn't seem necessary for these amps and their intended use.
(I'm always afraid if I can't get a hold of a vendor before the sale what will it be like after the sale if I need something.)
No wonder Dylan at Buckeye is swamped, he appears to be the only OEM USA game in town (except for VTV), and he answers emails the same day without fail which I admire.
I just hate to have to wait 6 weeks now for my amp! Seems like there's a great business opportunity out there, I may even start looking into building these myself when it's too cold to work outside. And as I get older, working at the bench again is sounding better compared to crawling around cramped airplanes in the hanger.
I too ran out of US options. I bought a multichannel 8 hypex ncore from Nord Audio from England. Very responsive and for a small add on fee of $10.00 they will pay import fees and give you access to a US repair facility. https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/. Or March Audio in Australia. Alan is very responsive as well. https://www.marchaudio.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

OP
walt99

walt99

Forum Donor
I’m in the US. Audiophonics responded to a question I had within hours. I then ordered a Hypex NC502MP amp from them and received it in a few days.
Perhaps they are on holiday?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
To much. $$ just for surround speakers. The price point for the NC252MP is what I’m looking for to drive surround speakers.
Almost pulled the trigger for a pair of Outlaw 2220’s, but the 252 is cheaper/smaller/cooler and perfect for my mission.

Have you checked out Buckeye?

OP
walt99

walt99

Forum Donor
Have you checked out Buckeye?

Yes I ended up ordering from Dylan, but not really happy about 6 week wait now!

OP
walt99

walt99

Forum Donor

groovybassist

Forum Donor
I’m in USA and had no problem purchasing a Purifi amp from boXem l audio. Built and shipped quickly. Admittedly not the lowest priced unit available, but the combination of added functionality in Fred’s buffer design (selectable gain, audio sense, etc.), very high build quality and quality enclosure met the value criteria I was looking for. It’s been bulletproof so far and sounds great.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes I ended up ordering from Dylan, but not really happy about 6 week wait now!
Your build is actually only a few more days away from hitting the work bench. Within the 2wks since your order was placed, I have spent A LOT of time trying to catch up on orders and shave down the current wait time.

New orders as of today are down to a 2-4wk wait time (depends on the build). The goal, within the next 1-2 months, is to have ready made stock of most models and max wait time of 2wks for other models (much like Nord and Apollon).

OP
walt99

walt99

Forum Donor
Buckeye amps for the win! I'm glad Walt99 went with Buckeye.
Glad to hear reduced wait times are coming!
I'll say this, if the amps are as good as Dylan's customer service it will be worth the wait!
His communication, answering all my questions and changing options multiple times has been stellar.
Currently going with a 8 channel 252 unit even though I only need 6, but that will give me one spare for who knows what.

Top Bottom