• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who can read Japanese?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I came across this image from a Sony advertisement from around 1976 or so.

1675990063394.jpeg

The man seated, is of course a young Heitaro Nakajima (R.I.P.), head of Sony's audio at that point, extremely proud of his baby, the SS-G7, a monumental undertaking where Sony purpose built a brand new pulp processing and complete driver factory along with amazing acoustics laboratories specifically to produce the world's best speakers.

I've owned several pairs from the 'carbocon' series over the years and a pair of those SS-G7s which now reside with my best friend in his main system. An amazing speaker for the era and still today.

Who can translate the Japanese for me? :)

calling @dualazmak ?

Here's another picture:

SONY%2BSS-G7%2B%252800%2Bb%2529.jpg

The standard of fit and finish leaves modern speakers looking pretty poor on the whole:
SONY%2BSS-G7%2B%252811%2529.jpg

Last edited:

8bits

Obviously not what you asked for, since a person translating will be heaps better than a machine, but it can be really good in a pinch to have a general idea. You can use google lens to translate it for you (if you did not know).

This is what it spit out from the first pic
I wanted to know the current status of the speakers, and I had a thought. Expressing it in words, there are a wide variety of sounds, such as tapping, popping, and so on.Then, not only because it's an affordable alternative, but also because it's affordable. Do you want to hear it? It's a problem if it's as small as possible and doesn't leave any residue. From that point of view, Gen is the perfect hammer.What do you know? For the time being, if it is a single flat plate, it is easy to guess the good and bad sides of the speaker. but just if highI don't think so.What is of great significance is the system-configured product. The sound produced at this time is the result of the assembled structure. Therefore, it appears in the materials of the individual items that make up it, how they are attached, and how they are assembled. Too much loudness is not obvious, and turbidity and chatter are the deficiencies of the latter. The designer's various ideas come into my ears along with the sound.I would like to treat this kind of structure more carefully and examine it from various angles. I feel like I can understand a lot more. Just as a seasoned peasant can distinguish ripe legs,SONY. 1

Not the best translation I gotta say :facepalm:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
“ Just as a seasoned peasant can distinguish ripe legs”.

?

Cool looking speakers though

Guermantes

Unfortunately, the final sentence actually refers to 西瓜 which is Japanese for watermelon. So "ripe watermelon" rather than "ripe legs".

I think the gist of it all is judging a speaker cabinet by rapping it with your fist and listening to the sounds and resonances produced, like a seasoned farmer tapping a watermelon to judge its ripeness.

Last edited:

cochlea

Forum Donor
Unfortunately, the final sentence actually refers to 西瓜 which is Japanese for watermelon. So "ripe watermelon" rather than "ripe legs".

I think the gist of it all is judging a speaker cabinet by rapping it with your fist and listening to the sounds and resonances produced, like a seasoned farmer tapping a watermelon to judge its ripeness.
Well, that would still fit in with digitalfrost’s picture. :oops:

Antonello

Hello, this is what I managed to translate (p.s. I don't speak japanese, just went through google):
"
At an audio fair, I wanted to know the current status of speakers in the world, so I used a genco to hit the diaphragms and cabinets of famous speakers from around the world that were on display in the 60-odd frames. It's hard to describe him in words, but he has a variety of miscellaneous sounds, such as a tapping sound and a popping sound. As for the other, the tip of the genko hurt and broke off a little. The next day, his middle finger joint was swollen,

I was laughed at by Mr. Kimura, who was looking around with me.

In that case, instead of hitting with your hands, you can think of an affordable stick as an alternative, but the sound comes not only from the board, but also from the stick and the genko. The sound that he wants to hear is the sound from the side that is being struck, and the sound from the side that is being struck is as small as possible so that it does not remain behind. From that point of view, Gen's co is the perfect hammer.

Now, the problem is what can be learned by hitting an object. For the time being, if it is a single flat plate, the conditions are simple, so it is relatively easy to guess from the sound of hitting whether it is good or bad as a material for a speaker. However, with a veneer, if you physically measure various constants, you can obtain more accurate information for judgment.

It doesn't seem like you'll be able to master the training even if you go through a particularly painful experience.

The reason why there is a big meaning in tapping is that he is attached to the finished product that is constructed as a system. The sound that emerges at this time is a unique, synthesized sound as a structure that has been assembled. Therefore, the appropriateness of the shapes and dimensions of the individual parts that make up it, the appropriateness of the material selection, and the appropriateness of how to install and assemble them, all appear in the sound. In general, excessive loudness can be thought of as the deficiencies of the former, and muddy or chattering sounds can be thought of as the deficiencies of the latter. Along with the sound of tapping, the various ideas of the designer, such as whether it seems that this system incorporates new ideas or that he has cut corners a little, come to my ears.

I would like to treat the proper sound of such a structure more carefully and examine it from various angles. If I do that, I feel like I'll be able to understand a lot more about him. Just as a seasoned farmer can pound a watermelon to determine its juiciness and ripeness."

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Top Bottom