• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which one is correct? 85 dB SPL or 83 dB SPL from Bob Katz Level Practices

dasdoing

Major Contributor
It's not a standard, streaming services are lately tending to adopt to - 18 LUFS so called ripple gain 2.0 which is again wrong. EBU R128 has a largest limit - 23 LUFS and there for highest headroom for bad materials from golden days of loudness war's. It's to much of a SPL reduction but as stated before it can be easily gained back with peak normalisation. In the end who cares about master levels used when mixing if EBU R128 can normalise them correctly and you can adjust them to yours desired listening levels with ISO 226 2003?
Neither is ISO 226 2003 magical nor it translates universally to all speakers but it makes a big difference especially when you want to listen at moderate to low levels. On the other hand even EBU R128 - 23 LUFS limit isn't enough for really really horrible exaggerated mixes (made to sort of sound better on something like mobile phone speaker).
Example of such:
So advice is skip such entirely.
Seriously instead adopting EBU R128 and ending loudness war's we instead have half way in between and half cut non standard solution's.

loud genres actually don't care for streaming standards. the "standard" for those are -9 LUFS or even higher. they don't care if streaming services pull them down, because it's all about the density of the mix. electronic music using 14dB or even more of headroom just wont sound right

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
loud genres actually don't care for streaming standards. the "standard" for those are -9 LUFS or even higher. they don't care if streaming services pull them down, because it's all about the density of the mix. electronic music using 14dB or even more of headroom just wont sound right
Normal master of that song is average SPL - 6~7 dB and - 4 dB peak. It will sound right with rave (low bass and high cut) with EBU R128 (-23 LUFS) and a peek normalisation a top even at - 30 dB level (from calibration point) with ISO 226 2003 (as it boosts bass and highs a bit so you prcive loudness equally) you just won't get deaf in the process of listening to it. And that's the beauty of it. It's not that I never listen to such music. It won't have physical rumble if that's what you're hart desires. I really don't after working with cuple KW (and even more) stage systems in the paste and afterwards walking the streets with hippy hippy shake feeling. I look to decouple and vibration isolate my sub's and lower their THD as much as I can but that's me.

Last edited:

jlo

Most explanations above seem to be a bit wrong.

To be in conformity with SMPTE RP standards, the level at listening position for a front channel should be 85dBC when playing SMPTE-2095 pink noise with RMS value at -22dBFSD (Full Scale Digital).
This SMPTE-2095 pink noise has a crest factor of 12dB (between RMS and peak).

Andysu

Major Contributor
Top Bottom