• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where can I find list of most cost effective cars - $ per 100km

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all

I've tried googling but where can I find list of most cost effective cars, in terms of $ per 100km

So this would have to factor in a country's cost of petrol vs electricity of course, and would vary between countries

But would be a good starting point anyway

All my googling leads to petrol L/100km and excludes electric cars.

gorb

Forum Donor
not exactly what you are asking for but it does provide some efficiency numbers

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor

terryforsythe

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all

I've tried googling but where can I find list of most cost effective cars, in terms of $ per 100km

So this would have to factor in a country's cost of petrol vs electricity of course, and would vary between countries

But would be a good starting point anyway

All my googling leads to petrol L/100km and excludes electric cars.
Just get a VW Bug built pre-1970 and call it a day.

napfkuchen

When combustion engines dominated the market, technical development was rather small in recent years. With the advent of electric cars, this has changed completely. Many electric cars from 10 years ago are now obsolete, and replacing the battery quickly becomes a total economic loss. Energy consumption also plays a role, but the biggest factor is the loss of value in view of the significantly increased new prices (especially since Corona) and technical developments.
Germany's largest automobile club has a database with car costs (maybe use google translate) for numerous vehicles. Detailed tests are also available as PDFs for many cars, in which the costs for different levels of use are compared.

Maybe I wouldn't go that far, but a cheap new car (nowadays difficult / impossible to find) or a reliable used car are probably a better choice than a brand new electric car that consumes perhaps 5% less than its predecessor.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nothing helps you feel more connected to the road than rusted out floorboards. And as an added benefit, it can be like driving in a convertible even though it has a hard top :D

This is a timely post, as I had dinner with a long-time friend the other night and he was reliving stories of our 5+ hour drives back and forth to college in his old Beetle. Which largely took place during cold temperatures. I would take comfort knowing if we needed to stop suddenly I could put my feet down on the road like Fred Flintstone.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"total cost of ownership"
I too bought a new car last week and tried to calculate total cost of ownership.
You are calculating with a lot of variables, sadly.

1714807573325.png

If i manage to keep the car running for 13 years i will have to pay 53 000€, repairs excluded. I included inflation of 3.5%, which is optimistic for services, but i had to use some number.

BTW, the car is a Dacia Jogger in the Extreme+ 5 seater variant, it can be fueled with gasoline or LNG, and it's the cheapest car i could manage to find that is large enough.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mon-Fri, 6:30am-3:00pm PST
559-733-8222 / 800-274-8337

Featured Articles​

CB Performance has been the subject of many different articles over the years, being featured in such magazines as VW Trends, Hot VWs, Sand Sports, and Motor Trend.

magazines.jpg

Hot VWs​

PROJECT MILEAGE MOTOR

Top Bottom