• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the highest frequency you can hear?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I just tested my hearing with this video and I Can barely hear it.
What's the highest frequency you can hear ?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I could when I was young I could hear 20 khz. These days no. 11 khz in one ear and 13 khz in the other last I checked which was a couple years ago. I can dump a file in Audacity and slows things down by 50 %, but it makes music sound weird. :)

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was young, I could hear 16kHz clearly. Those days are gone. About 11kHz tops now.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just tested my hearing with this video and I Can barely hear it.
What's the highest frequency you can hear ?
I don't know how reliable it is to do these tests with youtube videos, I really don't know when and where the audio compression will cut, it might actually cut the high frequencies and make them impossible to hear just because....they aren't there.
I would always do these tests with intact audio files.
I am almost 40 years old and can hear well up to 16,000, and with some difficulty perceive 17k

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was younger never tested for 20khz, but wouldn't surprise me if I never could. What's at 20khz particularly?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I can't even imagine what 20k sounds like.

GaryH

Major Contributor
I don't know how reliable it is to do these tests with youtube videos, I really don't know when and where the audio compression will cut, it might actually cut the high frequencies and make them impossible to hear just because....they aren't there.
I would always do these tests with intact audio files.
I am almost 40 years old and can hear well up to 16,000, and with some difficulty perceive 17k
Not only that, but aliasing in your playback chain can result in false positives. These tests are bogus.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I can't even imagine what 20k sounds like.
I was worried everyone's hearing close to 20khz and that I shouldn't bother with hi end speakers if I only could hear 13kHz
But I guess I'm fine lol

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I can hear till 18KHz, with 40 years of age. But I've always been super careful with my hearing, always wore my ear plugs to raves in the 90's, it paid out lol
Now I'm jealous lol

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not only that, but aliasing in your playback chain can result in false positives. These tests are bogus.
You can make your own tones. I'd suggest not over -20 db for your tweeters sake. Make them at elevated sample rates and aliasing won't be an issue at 20 khz.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I can only hear to 11k in one ear, 12k in the other. You seem typical for your age!

The highest frequency I’ve ever heard are your posts on ultra-desirable speakers!;)

I tend to like brighter speakers like Genelec
I guess if I could hear to 18k it wouldn't be the case

Beave

Major Contributor
I used to hear 20kHz, when I was about 20 years old. Tested. As of a couple of years ago, it was down to about 14kHz.

Semi-funny story: Years ago I had a CRT TV that had transformer noise at NTSC line rate (15.7 kHz). It used to drive me crazy with that high-pitched squeal, but my parents didn't hear it at all. After a couple of years, I noticed it was gone and thought it had somehow fixed itself. Upon further reflection, I realized it was still screaming away and what had changed was that I had become like my parents and could no longer hear it either.

Last edited:

little-endian

Actually the original question of this thread is incomplete as it begs for the counter question "... at what level?"

After all, without proper calibration, still being able to hear a certain frequency unfortunately doesn't mean that there might not already be significant hearing loss when one only turns up the gain high enough (besides possible occuring artifacts due to aliasing or other distortions).

For me, more interesting than sine tones though is to high pass-filter certain musical pieces and listen to what is still there at not too loud levels when taking the whole thing as reference.

Naturally, it is highly dependent on the source then, but enlightening nonetheless. My personal disappointment to not really hear any difference whatsoever when turning down the EQ around 20 kHz (and also 16 kHz actually) by 20 dB, I could halfway comfort by this article:

AES.png

True audiophiles of course rail against any lossy codec and especially any which dares to touch anything only so slightly below 20 kHz, but the blind test results speak a different language as usual, again confirming that human ears aren't that great after all (at least in terms bandwidth and wear).

Top Bottom