• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Cooking? Show us Your Plated Food Photos!

Keith_W

Major Contributor
1691925284750.png

Vegetarian night again. Spaghetti ai funghi - porcini, field mushrooms, truffle oil, butter, pecorino, parsley, and spaghetti. I didn't have Parmigiano-Reggiano, so I used Pecorino. I didn't have tagliatelle, so I used spaghetti.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
1692011718436.png

Spaghetti alla Carrattiera. Basically a luxurious Olio e Aglio. The sauce is uncooked. Garlic, parsley, dried chilli, pecorino, EVOO, and toasted breadcrumbs. Toss all the ingredients except the breadcrumbs together with some pasta water, then sprinkle the breadcrumbs and extra parsley and pecorino on top.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Spaghetti alla Carrattiera. Basically a luxurious Olio e Aglio. The sauce is uncooked. Garlic, parsley, dried chilli, pecorino, EVOO, and toasted breadcrumbs. Toss all the ingredients except the breadcrumbs together with some pasta water, then sprinkle the breadcrumbs and extra parsley and pecorino on top.
So the garlic is raw? Is it finely minced or put through a garlic press? Seems like it would overpower. We make this but we saute the garlic in olive oil. We do not plate it nearly as nice as you do :D

Keith_W

Major Contributor
So the garlic is raw? Is it finely minced or put through a garlic press? Seems like it would overpower. We make this but we saute the garlic in olive oil. We do not plate it nearly as nice as you do :D

Yes, the garlic is raw. And the recipe called for A LOT of garlic - 2 cloves of garlic / 100g of pasta. I served 300g, and I was not game to put that much raw garlic in. The recipe came from an Italian guy on Youtube (Vincenzo's Plate), and I have had success with his recipes in the past - he has said before he does not like too much garlic so I was really surprised. So I put in 4 cloves. My wife said that she felt there was not enough garlic, and I agree. This was unexpected, because when I make Olio e Aglio, I use 1 clove / 100g of spaghetti, and it's cooked. She thinks it's because the breadcrumbs and cheese dilute the flavour of the garlic.

I don't like large chunks of garlic in my pasta, so I push it through a garlic press then do a final mince to get rid of big chunks.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I am keeping my New Year's Resolution to eat less meat and be healthier this year. I have two vegetarian days per week, and even on non-vegetarian days my diet is mostly vegetable based.

My repertoire of vegetarian recipes is expanding at the same rate that my waistline is contracting ;)

1692361145491.png

Salad Fricassee, one of my favourite salads. Cut smoked bacon into thick lardons and fry in EVOO until lightly browned. Add shallots and fry gently until translucent. Then deglaze with white wine vinegar and a dash of water. Add Endive and toss until lightly wilted. Top with a poached egg and serve with croutons (not pictured). It is SOOOO GOOD! I ate one whole Endive by myself!

1692361285269.png

Braised artichoke with Puy lentils. Artichoke was trimmed, then rubbed with lemon juice. It was fried with some butter, then as soon as it was browned, I deglazed the pan with white wine, and added thyme, bay leaf, parsley, and vegetable scraps. I covered it and braised until the liquid evaporated, about 15 min. For the Puy lentils, thoroughly wash the lentils. Cut bacon, carrot, celery, and shallots into a brunoise. Fry off the bacon and shallots, then add the lentils and cover with water. Bring to a simmer, about 20 min. Midway through cooking, I added the diced carrots. Then I added the diced celery at the end of cooking, then left it on the heat to lightly cook the celery (I do this to preserve the texture of the celery). Season with salt and pepper then serve.

Red_Red

Just because they are - to my knowledge and taste - the best figs in the world, I present to you a variety of figs originating from ancestral Catalonia today "Catalunya" (south Catalonia - Spain - major city : Barcelona) and "Pyrénées-Orientales" (northern Catalonia - France - major city : Perpignan) :

col de dame_1.jpg

Strangely, the name of this variety - by a kind of snobbery or out of mutual respect (who knows ???) - is francized on the Spanish Catalan side and hispanized on the French Catalan side. In Cataluña (Spain) they name it : "Col de Dame", and in Pyrénées-Orientales (France) : "Coll de Signora"... [in both cases it means the same thing : "Lady's Collar"].
In any case, they are incredibly tasty and rather sweet (unless there is pre-harvest rain).

[ps. : they are so good "au naturel" that it is better to leave them and eat them as they are.]

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
1692793435044.png

Orzo ai funghi, cooked risotto style. I don't even know if this is a thing in Italy. I cooked the pasta like a risotto (i.e. onions first, then toast the rice, then add stock and stir). I cooked it for the duration indicated on the packet (8 minutes) but it was still too hard. By 10 minutes, it was nicely al dente so I took it out. That's when I learnt that eating a whole plate of this is another matter when every grain is al dente, my jaw became quite tired from all the chewing. My wife said that if this was a risotto, it would be delicious. I agree. Also, the pasta continues to absorb water while you are eating. What looks like a nice creamy pasta in the photo became an unappetizing dry pasta at the end. I had to add more boiling water to my dinner. So learn from my fail - don't do this.

Red_Red

yes, I see perfectly (from experience) what it can give... traditional italian pasta "is sacred" easy to make but difficult to master if you decide to go out of the ordinary. That said, the intention (according to intuition) started from a good will. In any case, this is what I retain from your experience! on the other hand with Thai/Asian rice-based pasta, this should do it!
See even with pasta made from buckwheat or lentil flour. less porous than Asian rice-based pasta but more able to withstand long cooking times than wheat flour-based pasta.

That being, there is a solution to the present case which is "controlled" stewing.

Last edited:

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Breakfast.jpg

Fried potatoes with onion and crushed red chilis paired with a tomato, zucchini, bacon, sausage, and cheese open-faced omelet made "Oyakodon" style (gently mix the eggs to break the yolks without blending them into the whites, then slowly pour them over the other contents and cook on medium-low with a lid). Cook until the bottom is lightly browned, but the omelet moves freely in the pan. Sprinkle lightly with shredded cheese and cracked black pepper.

[Apologies for the weird camera angle, that's my wife's breakfast from across the table.]

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
At the moment I am practising baking. I'm not really good at it yet. Today I have a 'Tarte aux pommes'. I could have put a bit more effort into the arrangement of the apples, which are from our garden. Let's see if it tastes good. My next project is a 'New York cheesecake'.

tarte-aux-pommes.jpg

Top Bottom