• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Cooking? Show us Your Plated Food Photos!

Tremolo

but I must say I am not a fan of Bucatini. What other pasta do you use in Italy for Amatriciana?
I'm not either. I like spaghetti better, a thick kind (spaghettoni or vermicelli). The best is fresh made really thick long pasta, just water and flour, no eggs.

AlmaAtaKZ

These are not my creation but are steam buns from a Chinese restaurant.

IMG_3883.jpeg

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor

Fun fact from the daily press:

Two restaurants from Germany also made it into the top 50: Chef Tim Raue landed in 40th place with his and Marie-Anne Wild's "Restaurant Tim Raue" in Berlin-Kreuzberg. Raue is represented on the list for the eighth time in a row - last year he was honored with 37th place.
Only one other German restaurant made it into the top 50: The neighboring "Nobelhart & Schmutzig" was voted 45th.

Recently, we once again dined at one of Tim Raue's restaurants, the Villa Kellermann in Potsdam. I can recommend it. I like it overall even better than his restaurant in Berlin.

My photo from the starters:

raue.jpg

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I have been to a number of restaurants in the World Top 50 - Fat Duck in Bray, UK; Dinner by Heston Blumenthal in London; El Cellar de Can Roca in Girona, Spain; Disfrutar in Barcelona, Spain; Attica in Melbourne, Australia; Gimlet in Melbourne, Australia. I think that at top 50 level, it is more about the performance and theme than it is about the food. There is nothing wrong with the food in any restaurant with 2 Michelin stars and up. I don't include 1 Michelin star restaurants because I have been to some of them and I wondered what the Michelin inspectors were smoking when they awarded the star. I have been to a many restaurants with no Michelin stars which cook better.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I have been to a many restaurants with no Michelin stars which cook better.
Yes, that's how I know it too. However, I currently live in an area where there are almost no really good restaurants nearby. There is only one young chef who makes modern bowl or single plate dishes that we go to about once a week. Other than that, it's always bigger excursions.

jakob1.jpg

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes, that's how I know it too. However, I currently live in an area where there are almost no really good restaurants nearby. There is only one young chef who makes modern bowl or single plate dishes that we go to about once a week. Other than that, it's always bigger excursions.

View attachment 294144
I know this just shows that I'm a peasant, but the foam thing always reminds me of spit. During my Napa days, one of the highly regarded restaurants just went crazy on it and I had difficulty getting through a meal.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
There are plates in my house that don't look so nice. I love a beautiful decoration, but sometimes I'm too lazy to do it.

mampf.jpg

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I went to the local market and was rather disappointed by the quality of steak on offer. My regular butcher had shut up shop for renovations, so I went to the other butcher. Marbling was rather poor, and it was wet aged for only a week. That wouldn't be so bad if they weren't charging luxury prices, but they were. I had little time left, so I went ahead and bought the steak anyway.

1687433192199.png

1687433345210.png

The steak was panfried, and finished by basting with butter and thyme. It was served with its own pan juices.

1687433419009.png

I served it with roasted potatoes with rosemary. Because I have a rosemary bush, I can use as much rosemary as I want. The smell of the roasting potatoes was driving me crazy. The other side dish (asparagus) can be seen in the background. The asparagus was peeled, then rubbed with sugar and put in the fridge, and then freezer for 10 minutes before cooking. It hits an extremely hot pan which cooks the outside but leaves the inside raw and crunchy - the way I like it. It was finished with a bit of burnt butter to give it an extra nuttiness.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor

Very nice! Unfortunately, today you can find mostly only these relatively big cultivated blueberries, which actually do not taste like real forest blueberries. They are not sweet enough for me. There are also fewer and fewer in the places where they used to grow. Our family had a vacation home in the Vosges Mountains that was an old farmhouse. That's a wooded mountain area in France. We always had 'tarte aux myrtilles' there to eat our fill.
Sometimes I still find people from Poland picking such blueberries in the forest at our market.

The following photo is not from me, just an example.

artimage_830202_7912597_201810145512841.jpg

Keith_W

Major Contributor
1687519998181.png

1687519620647.png

Porchetta with mashed potato, broccolini, and balsamic vinegar. This is a mix of Chinese style (to get the crackling) and Italian. First, I boiled the pork belly and poked a lot of holes in the skin with a skewer - that's the Chinese method. Then the inside was sliced and rubbed with fresh rosemary, nutmeg, pepper, and thyme. A couple of bay leaves were added. The whole thing was rolled up and the skin rubbed with salt and some vinegar (Chinese method again). The purpose of the vinegar is to remove some of the porky smell. Then the skin was dried in the refrigerator for 2 days. I brought it out 6 hours before cooking and then cooked it at 180C until an internal temperature of 65C was reached, about 1 hour. Then I removed it from the oven and set it to grill at maximum (Chinese style again). Back in went the Porchetta. I had to keep rotating it to ensure an even crackling - about 30 minutes.

The mashed potato is my usual recipe. Nicola potatoes were peeled and then boiled until falling apart. It was passed through a potato ricer into a bed of butter, milk, some nutmeg, and some pecorino cheese (just because). The whole thing was adjusted for consistency, then passed through a sieve for a smooth texture. Once at this stage, the only way to reheat it is in the microwave, because attempting to reheat it on the stove will cause it to stick and burn.

Broccolini was washed then microwaved for 1 minute. It was finished on a super hot pan with some rice bran oil, some salt, and a squeeze of lemon.

Italians can criticize me now, but I think the Chinese method produces a superior pork crackling. It is a soft crunch, rather than a hard crunch.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey, there are some eating experts here as well. :D

We cook a lot but my photos are of the roasts, etc. and not of plating.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lest I forget, The Menu is a brilliant satire about the haute cuisine scene:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Top Bottom