• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Cooking? Show us Your Plated Food Photos!

AlmaAtaKZ

Blueberry pancakes

IMG_2748.jpeg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I bought my bro a Gozney Roccbox pizza oven for his birthday and this is his first attempt at a pizza using the Gozney simple dough recipe and it’s bloody ace, nice crunchy crust and base, took less than 2mins to cook. This’ll save me driving a return 70 odd miles for a decent pizza

52980743722_2848b9003c_b.jpg

52980743742_ee291af1e2_b.jpg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Not many pizza joints in Scotland?

Nearest proper Italian restaurant/pizzeria with a genuine wood fired pizza oven is near enough 40 miles away

Keith_W

Major Contributor
148173345.w4zn14sY.IMG_6425.jpg

Here is some dinner party food. Sardines on toast. I stuffed the fresh sardines with chopped olives with shallots, and roasted them (I was afraid the stuffing would spill out if I tried to panfry them). The red sauce is tomato (mash some canned tomato, then push it through a sieve to remove the seeds, then reduce), and the green sauce is a store bought basil pesto. Gutting and deboning fresh sardines is easy - cut the head off, use a knife to incise down the belly all the way to the tail, find the insertion of the spine into the tail, and snip that with scissors. Then grab the spine and the whole thing pulls out.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Cantonese style steamed scallops. It is supposed to have glass noodles on top, but when I looked in my pantry i'm all out of glass noodles! So i substituted it for 米粉 (rice vermicelli). Like all Cantonese cooking, the recipe is very simple, and you need really fresh scallops. Place julienned ginger at the bottom, then scallops, then a small serve of presoaked noodles. Drop 2-3 drops of sesame oil on each. Steam for 5 minutes, then drain the cooking liquid from each scallop. Top with fresh scallions and 1-2 leaves of coriander. Heat your wok to extremely hot, then add some oil and fry some garlic. Immediately pour the hot oil on top.

1687093439164.png

1687093767035.png

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Bucatini Amatriciana. A real Amatriciana only has 4 ingredients: pasta, tomato, guanciale, and pecorino. The guanciale is fried to render the fat, then cooked with the sauce.

With mine, I fried the guanciale until it was crispy (cut into thick batons, then low heat with no added oil for about 5 minutes). Then I removed half of it and added half the cherry tomatoes and the canned tomatoes. Simmer gently for 30 minutes. Add a bit of pecorino to the sauce and it is ready to receive the pasta. Add the cooked bucatini and toss to incorporate. Plate and add crispy guanciale, fresh cherry tomatoes, more pecorino, and some basil on top. If you want it to be more authentic, omit the basil, cook the guanciale in the sauce, and omit the fresh tomatoes.

Ingredients:
300g bucatini
800g peeled canned tomatoes
250g cherry tomatoes
200g guanciale
Pecorino to taste
Basil to taste (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper (since this is a Roman dish, you need a LOT of pepper - enough for you to feel some heat).

1687185570202.png

Tremolo

Freshly ground black pepper (since this is a Roman dish, you need a LOT of pepper - enough for you to feel some heat).
I strongly disagree. You can use a little bit of black pepper if you want (I don't) but if you want a spicier taste you can add a chili pepper to the guanciale while frying. To much black pepper mask the real taste of the sauce (as fresh tomatoes and basil also do, IMHO)

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I strongly disagree. You can use a little bit of black pepper if you want (I don't) but if you want a spicier taste you can add a chili pepper to the guanciale while frying. To much black pepper mask the real taste of the sauce (as fresh tomatoes and basil also do, IMHO)

Thank you. I will omit the basil and use less black pepper the next time I make this dish. It was still really enjoyable though, but I must say I am not a fan of Bucatini. What other pasta do you use in Italy for Amatriciana?

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
'Merican here, but when I've been to Italy bucatini was the normal pasta. I don't think I saw Amatriciana with any other shape. But as I said, 'Merica! So anything goes. Dice the guanciale instead of cutting into strips and it should work with penne or rigatoni.

Top Bottom