• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what exactly does the allo usbridge do?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the better the equipment and the larger the differences.
Define “better”?
Yes I checked it out and seems convincing. His CRAAP settings seem to do just what I'm suggesting: reduce the noise on the USB.
You must have been reading a different article then.

Last edited:

RichT

Define “better”?

You must have been reading a different article then.
Hi, many define better by how much they spent on their equipment. No I read the link, check out the CRAAP settings that re recommends to lower noise. Have fun, r

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, many define better by how much they spent on their equipment.
I’m not interested in “many”, so how do YOU define it?
No I read the link, check out the CRAAP settings that re recommends to lower noise. Have fun, r
You’re either massively trolling and/or incapable of understanding sarcasm.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Hello all, this is very complicated stuff for sure. I guess it comes down to: does your dac know the difference between usb noise and music. How does the dac know the difference? I have the Allo USBridge myself and to me there is more detail in the music when I use it. When the USBridge is not in line, there are details that are lost. It's a very fine line but I can hear it. Fun stuff for sure. Kind regards, happy holidays
Seems like your DAC has a very USB implementation. I would replace your DAC to fix it.

RichT

Hello yes thanks for your comments but really no one answered the questions I asked. Phorize added a reference link that was very useful and interesting, thanks for that. But in the link Archimago after telling us the USB noise doesn't matter, describes the CRAAP settings to help reduce noise in Raspberry Pi and improving the audio. I'm not sure why he would do that after telling us the USB noise didn't matter. Love the music and happy holidays all, thanks

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure why he would do that after telling us the USB noise didn't matter. Love the music and happy holidays all, thanks
Because like me, he likes sarcasm :facepalm:;)

At least we seem to have established now that you were not trying to troll. Good on ya… or are very good at 4D chess.

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello yes thanks for your comments but really no one answered the questions I asked. Phorize added a reference link that was very useful and interesting, thanks for that. But in the link Archimago after telling us the USB noise doesn't matter, describes the CRAAP settings to help reduce noise in Raspberry Pi and improving the audio. I'm not sure why he would do that after telling us the USB noise didn't matter. Love the music and happy holidays all, thanks
In the article Archimagio shows that there are no real world issues with streaming audio over usb to a dac. My advice FWIW is don’t worry about it, there’s no evidence at all that you should. I use a PI 4 to my rme dac and it’s sounding lovely.

Last edited:

RichT

In the article Archimagio shows that there are no real world issues with streaming audio over usb to a dac. My advice FWIW is don’t worry about it, there’s no evidence at all that you should. I use a PI 4 Tommy rme dac and it’s sounding lovely.
yes of course, I'll do that. Thanks for positive vibes. BTW have you tried Archimago's CRAAP settings on your Pi? I have a Odroid C2 running Android and it sounds great. Love the music, regards r

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
yes of course, I'll do that. Thanks for positive vibes. BTW have you tried Archimago's CRAAP settings on your Pi? I have a Odroid C2 running Android and it sounds great. Love the music, regards r
You actually did read what “CRAAP” stands for, right?
Convoluted Rationalizations And Audiophile Perceptions (CRAAP)
Still think this is a real thing?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hadn’t seen those settings until you pointed them out. Years of obsessing about compile flags and kernel latency has cured me of any interest in such things:)

ash87

Not sure if I missed the answer to OPs question, but It doesn't look like anyone answered WTH the USBridge does. Is it just a stripped down RP, where you can run the USBridge with the DigiOne hat instead of an RP with the DigiOne?

EdTice

i'm trying to put together a streamer to be connected to the smsl su-8 v2. i had initially thought that it would simply be a affair of getting a raspberry pi 4 and throwing volumio etc on it and i'd be good to go, but as i went down the rabbit hole i'm starting to have doubts that if i don't get more complicated than that my SINAD might suffer. case in point, the allo website (https://allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html) claims that there's noise from the USB and i need some sort of "transport" to solve this issue. it attaches two AP reports, one with rpi+dac and the other with usbridge+dac which i admittedly do not know how to interpret. on the other hand, i've read that the DAC should handle any noise coming out of the RPI just fine. I really don't want to spend $250 and end up with a rube goldberg machine. hopefully someone here can help me make sense of what these NDK and LDOs do exactly, what do the AP measurements say, how they actually help with noise and if after all that does it really even matter when the signal comes out the DAC end?

I will be streaming over flac over Ethernet from my NAS, Spotify from WiFi and TV will go in to the DAC toslink.

EDIT: I'm studying their AP report, is "noise ratio" the number i need to be looking at? that number is -74db out of the schiit modi+rpi and -84 out of the schiit modi+usbridge. granted this is for the rpi3 i believe. so 10db of difference?
If you want to know what this device *does*, it seems to read files using control transfer and then pass them on using Isochronous transfer. Control transfer has the advantage that data integrity is guaranteed (via retries). That's not usually used for music streaming because retries (without a large buffer) would equal more stuttering than just converting the corrupted packet to analog. Presumably the allo does such buffering. Then it sends the file on via Isochronous transfer. If you had a terribly unreliable USB connection to your streaming source, this could potentially help. I've never seen a USB interface so poor that it can't maintain Isochronous transfer of audio. The one on the Raspberry Pi is more than capable. Even if the device does what it seems to claim, it wouldn't add any value.

ash87

In newbie speak, can I use the USBridge instead of the Raspberry Pi with the DigiOne? i just bought a DigiOne so I need a RP and wanted to know if the USBridge is a Pi that is modded to be strictly for music, or is the USBridge just another streamer comparable to the DigiOne.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The usbridge is a compute module with an electrically quiet usb output. It is intended to output to a usb dac.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In newbie speak, can I use the USBridge instead of the Raspberry Pi with the DigiOne? i just bought a DigiOne so I need a RP and wanted to know if the USBridge is a Pi that is modded to be strictly for music, or is the USBridge just another streamer comparable to the DigiOne.
I think devices like the DigiOne are no longer required. All it does is provide a S/PDIF out. All the current DACs have switched to Asynchronous USB. Some DACs will support S/PDIF and TOSLINK but the prime focus is USB.

All you need these days is a RPi and a DAC.

Top Bottom