• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do I realistically need to drive a pair of 225w speakers?

In my younger days I was a little too ambitious and bought a pair of JBL Venue series Stadium speakers. They're 8ohms, 225w, 91db. I've been using an adequate Sony home theatre receiver but I'm going to move to a 2 channel unit which can stream Deezer through the wifi. I really like the Onkyo TX-8270, which is 100w per channel at 8 ohms. But I'm wondering if that's too weak, given the write-up on Amazon says it "drives your favorite bookshelf or small tower speakers". Perhaps the biggest issue is that there are few receivers that even seem to go up to 200w and they're usually very high end. Should I be looking at an amplifier instead? Or a new set of speakers since I don't really listen to it stupid loud anyway? Or will 100w be fine, particularly if I reduce the output to 6 ohms (which I understand increases the wattage)?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
particularly if I reduce the output to 6 ohms (which I understand increases the wattage)?
How and why would you do that other than the power increasing at the cost of heat production in the receiver/amp?
Should I be looking at an amplifier instead? Or a new set of speakers since I don't really listen to it stupid loud anyway? Or will 100w be fine
Your JBL speakers will suffice very well as long as you enjoy the sound of them. You don't need heaps and gobs of power to run them to medium and louder volume levels. Gobs of power is handy for dynamics and louder levels with music sources and with movies the power output is not as demanding.
I really like the Onkyo TX-8270, which is 100w per channel at 8 ohms. But I'm wondering if that's too weak, given the write-up on Amazon says it "drives your favorite bookshelf or small tower speakers".
The Onkyo is rated for 4 Ohms but the construction of it is cheapO from a visual I did over the unit. The better unit for the money if you do not need HDMI inputs/output would be the Yamaha R-N803. The Yamaha beats the Onkyo in all power aspects and in construction of the receiver too.
Onkyo>>>
42-3.png

dz0xMjAwJmg9ODY2_src_58950-amplituner-stereo-onkyo-tx-8270-audiocompl-fot6.jpg

Yamaha R-N803>>>
r-n803__photo_circuit_1200x640_70efee3bcf6dbc00f1007776426e378a.jpg

RN803reU_3051x3051_78dde4e342bbed85872b90c0fde7d872.jpg

OP
A
Your response is greatly appreciated. Just one thing though - the Onkyo website seems to say they're rated to 8 ohms, not 4. Is there something I'm missing?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Your response is greatly appreciated. Just one thing though - the Onkyo website seems to say they're rated to 8 ohms, not 4. Is there something I'm missing?

What country are you in? It can make a difference in power output and rating. Otherwise if you look at the rear panel of the picture of the Onkyo that I posted you will see it says good for 4 Ohms and up.

OP
A
What country are you in? It can make a difference in power output and rating. Otherwise if you look at the rear panel of the picture of the Onkyo that I posted you will see it says good for 4 Ohms and up.
I'm in Canada. I do know you can lower the impedance to 4 and 6 on the app when setting it up. Does that mean it's not truly 8 ohm? Also the Yamaha looks great but seems to be discontinued, at least in Canada. Can't even find it used.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in Canada. I do know you can lower the impedance to 4 and 6 on the app when setting it up. Does that mean it's not truly 8 ohm? Also the Yamaha looks great but seems to be discontinued, at least in Canada. Can't even find it used.
You can't alter the speaker's impedance by selecting some limit on the amp..... If you have low impedance speakers simply get an amp capable of such.

OP
A
@Chrispy made the comment in good faith and his suggestion is very valid even if you took offense to it somehow.
Its been my experience that people on tech forums often give blunt answers that don't seem to have any purpose other than tell the person they're wrong about something and demonstrate their own knowledge. Which is fine if they're being helpful but if he's not even going to attempt to answer the actual question I don't get why he's even spending his energy. It just comes across like he's being a dick.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well in Canada we use 60Hz power at 120VAC and that is the good stuff. Some of the 50Hz power makes the rating suffer sometimes. But in this case you should be good for 4 Ohms according to the rear panel. The switchable 4 or 8 Ohms setting is to adjust the bias going to the output power transistors. Some of the Yamahas have a external switch for selecting 4 Ohms or 8 Ohms. It is the time of the year that new models are released by Yamaha. It's possible there is a model change. Let me look and see.... Yes, it appears there might be a model lineup change in progress.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Its been my experience that people on tech forums often give blunt answers that don't seem to have any purpose other than tell the person they're wrong about something and demonstrate their own knowledge. Which is fine if they're being helpful but if he's not even going to attempt to answer the actual question I don't get why he's even spending his energy. It just comes across like he's being a dick.
@Chrispy gave you the answer it just didn't have lots of explaining details. I understood his comment clearly but I can see how it could be construed as blunt. :D

OP
A
Well in Canada we use 60Hz power at 120VAC and that is the good stuff. Some of the 50Hz power makes the rating suffer sometimes. But in this case you should be good for 4 Ohms according to the rear panel. The switchable 4 or 8 Ohms setting is to adjust the bias going to the output power transistors. Some of the Yamahas have a external switch for selecting 4 Ohms or 8 Ohms. It is the time of the year that new models are released by Yamaha. It's possible there is a model change. Let me look and see.... Yes, it appears there might be a model lineup change in progress.
If I may, I have one last question. Your help has been greatly appreciated. The Onkyo amp, which I may end up going for if I can't find a Yamaha model comparable to the one you recommended, says this in the manual. Does this mean it should be 8ohm impedance in Canada?
Rated Output Power (FTC) (North American)
With 8 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 20-
20,000 Hz; rated 100 watts per channel minimum RMS
power, with no more than 0.08% total harmonic distortion
from 250 milliwatts to rated output.
Rated Output Power (IEC) (Others)
2 ch k 160 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 ch driven of 1% THD
Maximum Effective Output Power (JEITA) (North American)
2 ch k 170 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 2 ch driven of 10% THD

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
says this in the manual. Does this mean it should be 8ohm impedance in Canada?
No, it does not mean it is 8 Ohm limited in Canada. It's just that you are extrapolating data from the quote that is not in there.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I may, I have one last question. Your help has been greatly appreciated. The Onkyo amp, which I may end up going for if I can't find a Yamaha model comparable to the one you recommended, says this in the manual. Does this mean it should be 8ohm impedance in Canada?
Rated Output Power (FTC) (North American)
With 8 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 20-
20,000 Hz; rated 100 watts per channel minimum RMS
power, with no more than 0.08% total harmonic distortion
from 250 milliwatts to rated output.
Rated Output Power (IEC) (Others)
2 ch k 160 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 ch driven of 1% THD
Maximum Effective Output Power (JEITA) (North American)
2 ch k 170 W at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 2 ch driven of 10% THD
Again, hard to know what you understand in general let alone what specs are telling you. Sorry if I offended you....

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some more basics: other than the layman thinks bigger speakers often (not all of them) need less power to reach a certain SPL than smaller speakers, since the latter have lower sensitivity. The loudest sounds I got in my home system was when I connected PA speakers to it. And I remember a review of the Electro Voice Sentry III in a German audio mag in the 70ies which stated that it plays louder connected to a 1W portable cassette recorder than many hifi speakers fed by a 100W power amp.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do know you can lower the impedance to 4 and 6 on the app when setting it up.
Please don't take the following as another "utterly condescending and arrogant" input.
The first thing about speaker impedance value posted: This is an average measurement within/across the audio spectrum (20Hz-20kHz) that can swing wildly depending on the type of speaker/cross-overs/etc. << Take it with a grain of salt, please!
YOU can NOT lower the impedance as you state and adding resistance (parallel/series/quantum/wutever) is way out there in the galaxy but doesn't apply on Terra-firma!;)

Top Bottom