• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are our thoughts on Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" (March 1973)?

Newman

Major Contributor
As to SQ there are plenty of other rock records that sound equally good or better than DSOTM and Brothers In Arms.
Keep going.... ;)

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i have the 24/192 50th Anniversary and I really cant tell the difference between any of the previous edits. Thing is all the past ones were already so well mixed and in so many flavors that really, what is there to improve on.

D

Deleted member 58722

Speaking of the old guard, for instance, the first album by The Doors (The Doors) and the first three albums by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (Emerson, Lake & Palmer; Tarkus; Trilogy) come to mind.
Waiting for Columbus.

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the 1974 wembley live hi res is quite neat

should give it a go

JaccoW

OSZOclj.jpeg

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Listening to the full album Atmos mix on Apple now.
Wow, what a great mix, I knew the potential for something really
kool existed but you never know how these things turn out.
Well in this case I'm very happy and believe it to be a awesome job.
Got to get this on a BD and have the uncompressed version.
Great sound considering we're dealing with 50 yo tapes.
I think I can hear a bit of the very top end missing but ???
Those multitracks were digitized 20 years ago.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It got played out for me decades ago, but I still enjoy 'Us and Them', which I came late in life to realizing is the best track on the album. Kudos to Rick Wright.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A timeless album for sure. But after 50+ years of listening to those chicks yodel for 5 minutes on Great Gig in the Sky, I think I'd lose my mind if I had to listen to it once more. I do admit to committing the mortal sin of skipping that track when I play the gapless album today.
OH the shame of it. :(

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
A timeless album for sure. But after 50+ years of listening to those chicks yodel for 5 minutes on Great Gig in the Sky, I think I'd lose my mind if I had to listen to it once more. I do admit to committing the mortal sin of skipping that track when I play the gapless album today.
OH the shame of it. :(
Multiple FBC singers (as they were known back in those somwhat backwards times) on other tracks, but only one chick on Great Gig in the Sky, AFAIK -- Clare Torrey.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a frequent play for me, but my goodness what an incredible album, still after all this time. I probably play it once or twice a year but I really enjoy it when I do.

As for a revered PF album that's full of stuff that can be tough to get through, I'll go with The Wall. Some great individual songs there, but I don't think the concept album/rock opera subgenre has aged terribly well in general, and for good reason.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As for a revered PF album that's full of stuff that can be tough to get through, I'll go with The Wall. Some great individual songs there, but I don't think the concept album/rock opera subgenre has aged terribly well in general, and for good reason.
I fully agree, my least fav PF album.
Whatever Waters intent, it's popularity has always been supported by school age kids yelling "hey teacher, leave those kids alone". LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The guitar solo(s) on Comfortably Numb are (two) for the ages, though.
For sure! David's performance on that song, specially the live PULSE/Division Bell tour recording is
what shows him to be the greatest rock guitarist of our generation.
YMMV

Top Bottom