• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are our thoughts on Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" (March 1973)?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
with the 50th coming and the current 'woke accusations' (!!!) I just listened to this today at work... one thing I do like is that because its a short sharp shock then you can listen to it quite often and it never outstays its welcome... unlike Hotel California where you can never leave...

i think dark side never seems to get stale

of course there's a million versions up to 24/192 and surround and wu tang collabs

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon...

Some of the most inspired lyrics in all of Pink Floyd´s discography. Good enough to stand the test of time and stay relevant even decades after release.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no dark side in the moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark. The only thing that makes it look light is the sun.

DSJR

Major Contributor
'...And then one day I found, fifty years had got behind me, No-one told me when to run, (and) I (nearly) missed the starting gun...'

I got to really know this album from a Dolby A master tape copy we used for dems back then (when the Crown D Series amps and hybrid speakers they made, BIG JBL, AR LST's and IMF Pro Monitor TL speakers were the high end) and it used to send shivers down the spine. Great classic album and important in the audiophile sensibilities of peeps a certain age :D

Vacceo

Major Contributor
'...And then one day I found, fifty years had got behind me, No-one told me when to run, (and) I (nearly) missed the starting gun...'

I got to really know this album from a Dolby A master tape copy we used for dems back then (when the Crown D Series amps and hybrid speakers they made, BIG JBL, AR LST's and IMF Pro Monitor TL speakers were the high end) and it used to send shivers down the spine. Great classic album and important in the audiophile sensibilities of peeps a certain age :D
I´m probably far younger than you and it also sends shivers down my spine. Dark Side, and perhaps Wish You Where Here are the albums that almost make my father present again.

mglobe

Forum Donor
I saw them at Blossom Music Center in the summer of 1973. A car accident, followed by hitchhiking to the venue got us there slightly late. The pings from Echos, which is my all time favorite PF cut were playing as we crested the hill to the amphitheater. Every facet of the Dark Side album stands the test of time.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The end of the real Pink Floyd's. Actually liked Live At Pompey the most.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
In my book it is still (and will likely continue to be) one of the best albums ever put together; truly a seminal work and the high point in 'Floyd's process of long form concept albums. Musically, the band was at their most creative for this effort. Not to take away from the other amazing works they put out from Meddle through Animals and The Wall, but the cohesive effect and staying power of Dark Side really trumps the others, IMO.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I really need to play Animals again, as it took a little longer for my then young life to properly understand but again, their perceptions on 'life' were spot on and appreciation has grown with the passing years...

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I really need to play Animals again, as it took a little longer for my then young life to properly understand but again, their perceptions on 'life' were spot on and appreciation has grown with the passing years...
That album also has some genius lyrics on Pigs Three Different Ones.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
The interesting thing for me in Animals, and really going back to Money in DSOTM, is the growing influence of Water's politics starting to come out more in their songs; lyrics. While many of the other common thematic material is still present... it's his angle that starts to take over, becoming more and more ascendant until by Wall and Final Cut it's almost exclusively about him. ;)

Still excellent work... But with Animals, Pigs (Three Different Ones) and Sheep it gets pretty cutting. From Animals, Dogs is still my favorite cut, followed by Sheep. As a whole, still a stunning album!
That album also has some genius lyrics on Pigs Three Different Ones.
I was always amazed at the "psalm" worked into Sheep, but you are absolutley right about the genius approach Waters had to his cutting commentary in Pigs (3...).

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A fabulous album. Over 50 years, I must have spent hundreds - possibly thousands - of hours thrilling to it. An interesting commercial side note: it had an amazing number of repeat buys by the same individuals. Its 1973 release coincided with the beginning of the consumer hifi boom, and people would buy a fresh copy whenever they upgraded, to use as a test or demo disc. Back then, "upgrade" meant "more bass", and the heartbeat thump was the go-to sensation.

mglobe

Forum Donor
The end of the real Pink Floyd's. Actually liked Live At Pompey the most.
I’m a huge fan of Meddle. Love Dark Side, and I think it’s a masterpiece. But it was for me the beginning of the end.

Open Mind Audio

The 5.1 surround version from the 30th anniversary (2003) is one of the greatest surround sound albums for sure. Looks like they are reissuing that same version with the 50th anniversary, adding an Atmos mix. Can't see myself spending $290 for the new box set but love the album.

Top two Pink Floyd for me are DSOTM and Wish You Were Here, which also has an outstanding 5.1 mix. The excellence of the recording and audio quality in their overall work speaks to their incredible attention to detail and pursuit of perfection.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
One of, if not the greatest Albums of our generation. It was ahead of its time and had influence upon the Rock Genre from that moment on. It was unlike any music I had ever heard and remains a treasure for the ears.

Top Bottom