• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Voting open for Dutch top 2000

litemotiv

Since 1959. Lol.
My grandfather emigrated in 1952 with most of my aunts and uncles. My father, as the oldest son, stayed behind in Groningen. At last in 1959 he emigrated as well. I was 6 at the time.

That's close to a lifetime yes! Your translation skills are really good considering you mostly had informal Dutch interactions. :)

Are you in the Netherlands?

Yes i'm right in the middle of The Netherlands. My family on my father's side is also from Groningen (and Drenthe) so i have some familiarity with the dialects there. The southern dialects (Limburgs) are a bit harder to follow for standard/central Dutch speakers, but the northern dialects can also be challenging sometimes if it's spoken rapidly. Interestingly for my father it's not difficult at all to follow, even though he moved away from there in the early 50s as well. The things you pick up as a child tend to stick with you so much easier (and longer), it's quite fascinating!

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

That's close to a lifetime yes! Your translation skills are really good considering you mostly had informal Dutch interactions. :)

Yes i'm right in the middle of The Netherlands. My family on my father's side is also from Groningen (and Drenthe) so i have some familiarity with the dialects there. The southern dialects (Limburgs) are a bit harder to follow for standard/central Dutch speakers, but the northern dialects can also be challenging sometimes if it's spoken rapidly. Interestingly for my father it's not difficult at all to follow, even though he moved away from there in the early 50s as well. The things you pick up as a child tend to stick with you so much easier (and longer), it's quite fascinating!

I can read Dutch reasonably well and on my last trip there in 2019, received a lot of compliments on my Dutch. So what that means ... The Dutch is bad enough that they know you're not from there, but since most tourists don't bother with Dutch they are a little flattered by the attempt.
I did have a younger relative (15 years old, you know the age) ask me to give up on it. lol.

For that song I pasted it into Google Translate first, which at least gives you a word for word, and quite unusable denotation, but at least you have something for the words you are not sure of.

Top Bottom