• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Video Streamer / Recorder (DVR) Options and Recommendations - Plex, Jellfyin, Emby?

TheWalkman

Fellow Enthusiasts,

I've been using a Fire TV recast for some time to record OTA shows, etc. and find this to be frustrating. After nearly a year of use, it still has the feel of a half baked solution: it's constantly freezing, crashing, etc. To me, who was in the tech industry for a quarter of a century, this product has Beta written all over it. I have it connected through a gig ethernet port even hardwired, response is very slow and buggy.

Before this, I used the Channel Master DVR which died some a year or so ago. Never did the TiVo thing because I hate subscriptions. (Call me a cord-cutting purist.)

About six months ago, I invested in a Silicon Dust Flex 4K HD to get quality OTA broadcasts. Though the interface leaves a bit to be desired, the signal quality is really good. (It seems that ATSC 3.0 has flown under many folks radars. This 3rd generation ATSC is great. Try it if you have it in your market.)

Silicon Dust charges an annual fee to record from the Flex. As mentioned, I HATE subscription models.

I know that Flex, Emby and Jellyfin allow me to record from the HD Flex.

I'm toying with the idea of setting up a Rasberry Pi 4 with a 1 or 2 TB NVME to act as a DVR running one of the aforementioned servers. (With the Pi 5 starting to hit, that might be where I ultimately go.)

The question: Any thoughts/ feedback/ comments on whether Flex, Emby, or Jellyfin on a Pi4 is the way to go?

Thanks, as always, for your thoughts and commentary!

Cheers

xrqp

Forum Donor
I have Silicone Dust Flex 4K and Emby Premiere. I choose Emby over Plex because, for a low one time fee I get antenna channel data for life included with Emby for life. It is all working good. DVR feature of emby allows me to skip commercials when i watch recoding later. Occasionally the antenna recordings have glitches and I don't know if it is the antenna, coax cable or Silcone Dust or Emby. the glitches are infrequent enough that I am not motiviate to look for soemting else. If you have a recording in the process of recording, and you start watching say 30 minutes after the recording started, but it is still recording, then it will not skip well (30 second skip forward is adjustable in time). I am using it with Shield Pro and LG TV and my big server computer.

Top Bottom