• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Value and depreciation of an expensive high SINAD product in a fast growth and cycle industry

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
All limits are made to be broken
I remember when 200 MPH and 7 seconds was considered the limit of a 1/4 drag car. LOL
One day we will be able to fly at warp speeds too. ;)

I don't think humans were ever meant to conquer space. We may send AI and our human knowledge out into the distant stars. But these fragile corporeal bodies will have to be left behind. If we want to traverse beyond the solar system, we'd have to find a way to merge with machines completely. At least that's how I imagine the future -- if humanity does survive intact, and not "devolve" (intellectually) in the next thousand years or so. :rolleyes:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't think humans were ever meant to conquer space. We may send AI and our human knowledge out into the distant stars. But these fragile corporeal bodies will have to be left behind. If we want to traverse beyond the solar system, we'd have to find a way to merge with machines completely. At least that's how I imagine the future -- if humanity does survive intact, and not "devolve" (intellectually) in the next thousand years or so. :rolleyes:
We'll find out on about our 500th reincarnation. ;)

JMC

My view:
1) With regard to SINAD, you can draw a "good enough" line above which there is little real world difference between products. You simply won't be playing your music loud enough to differentiate between products once you get into 3 figures.
2) No one cares about depreciation when the product is so inexpensive. High-end hifi on the other hand was a big financial commitment and some products were more appealing than other because you could always get a large proportion of your "investment" back, either through a dealer or selling on eBay. This is now obsolete thinking.
3) Buy a product and if you enjoy it keep using it until it breaks or another significant technological step comes alongs that genuinely offers something new. I believe you could buy a DAC right now and use it for decades, the problem is "solved", enjoy this fact and find another hobby to spend your money on. :)

Top Bottom